Indestructable Rural Mailbox?

/ Indestructable Rural Mailbox? #41  
You see those in the US, too. I believe you have to meet Post Office regulations if you want to SELL a mailbox, but you can use anything you want for your own box, as long as the mail delivery person does not object.

unusual mailboxes

Bruce

/ Indestructable Rural Mailbox? #42  
I've been buying the Gilbraltar Elite from Menards, for around $12. All steel, made in USA, adjustable door latch. When mine gets vandalized , or destroyed by heavy snow thrown from a plow, I can have it replaced within minutes. I keep a replacement on hand all the time. With these boxes though, I can reshape and bend them back into like-new shape many times.

/ Indestructable Rural Mailbox? #43  
At severe risk of jinxing myself, I am pleased to report that our "just regular" mailbox has survived untouched by vandals for over 5 years now.

Mailbox 2 (1024x766).jpg

/ Indestructable Rural Mailbox? #44  
I always enjoy reading TBN threads when it comes to US mailboxes. Especially when it comes to your standardisation of the boxes themselves and the conformity of the regulations that must be adhered to.

The following are pictures of actual (and very typical) Australian rural mailboxes. Those that are an old oil drum (even the plastic ones) have a rock in them so that the Postie can put it on top of your letters so they wont blow away. And, yes, that last one is an old microwave oven... very popular (as long as the door still works :laughing:).

View attachment 518035 View attachment 518037View attachment 518038

Feel free to GIS Australian Mailboxes for more examples.

Thank you for posting those examples. Too cool!

My mailbox is relatively safe as it's somewhat secluded.

IMG_3261.JPG

Terry

/ Indestructable Rural Mailbox? #45  
Last edited:
   / Indestructable Rural Mailbox? #46  
In New England we use cheesy mailboxes because we have winter which means we have plow drivers...:)
dougster plowing - compressed.jpg

/ Indestructable Rural Mailbox? #47  
All this talk about liability if a car hits it, that's bull, what about telephone poles, I suppose you will sue the phone company if you hit one and it doesn't move and your car is totaled?
I assume you mean electric power
poles?They used to called telephone poles back in the 1960,s.LOL

/ Indestructable Rural Mailbox? #48  
You see those in the US, too. I believe you have to meet Post Office regulations if you want to SELL a mailbox, but you can use anything you want for your own box, as long as the mail delivery person does not object.

unusual mailboxes

Bruce

Ta for that Bruce. It's good to see that there is still some diversification left in the US. :thumbsup:

I say that because I was getting the impression that laws/bureaucracy was forcing everyone there to conform to a generic 'Postmaster approved' letterbox.

/ Indestructable Rural Mailbox? #49  
I assume you mean electric power
poles?They used to called telephone poles back in the 1960,s.LOL

They still are telephone poles here in rural Aus. Although power is also run on them.

Mind you, the people in SA (that's South Australia) still call them telegraph poles.

/ Indestructable Rural Mailbox? #50  
Ever since we moved here, some juvenile morons periodically destroy or steal the mailbox. I finally got fed up and made my own out of an old 3pt tractor scoop. Attached it to a section of utility pole.

It didn't take them long to rip it out but it was too heavy to do anything but drag it across the road to the creek. I needed a winch to get it back out. So then I put it between two heavy sections of utility pole (lag bolted on the inside) and set the posts in concrete. Have not had a problem since :)

IMG_1930.JPG