installing wheel weights conveniently

/ installing wheel weights conveniently #1  

Coles

I have a pair of JD wheel weights that I bought for my JD 2305. The weights weigh 50 pounds each. I could muscle these things into the wheel wells, struggle to align the bolts, bang up the paint job, and whatnot, but I'm wondering if there is an easier way.

I have designed a little gadget that will allow me to pick up a weight with a jack, slide the weight into the wheel well, and rotate it to line up the bolt holes. My wife is already laughing at it, and I haven't even made this thing yet.

I have searched the archives and have found no examples of people describing how they intall wheel weights conveniently. My idea of convenient is something that could be done by someone who is disabled or who is just lazy (like me). My idea of convenient is the way I handle all my implements: each one is stored on its own cart that I can wheel around the shop floor without hard pulling.

Is there anyone out there who can share a picture or an idea of mounting wheel weights the easy way?

/ installing wheel weights conveniently #2  
There is a guy that use to be on here all the time that had a New Holland TC40. He had exactly what you have described. I can't remember his user name, but his signature had Mike in it and I believe that he was in Ohio. He had a very good picture portfolio and you would be able to see what you are wanting to make. I have to go to work or I would try to find it for you. Maybe do some searches in the New Holland forum.

Good luck

/ installing wheel weights conveniently #3  
I've thought about this issue too, but as of yet, haven't come up with a good idea of how to make a device to hold the weights. What I'm thinking of is to use a modified motorcycle jack with some mini-pallet forks on it and maybe bolts to go through the unused bolt holes on the weight.

To install the 60 lb weights on my 2520, I just support them on my knees while I align the bolts and holes, and tighten up the nuts. It is a little bit of a pain.

To keep from scratching up the wheels, I put a piece of duct tape over each of the points where the weights contact the wheels, although, I'm sure that, over time, this will still wear through the paint.

Attachments

• 100_0211 B.jpg
    100_0211 B.jpg
    433.5 KB · Views: 1,544
   / installing wheel weights conveniently #4  
Here's an example of what I'm talking about. I made this device to hold the outdrives for my boats while I'm removing/installing them for service. I'm thinking there might be a way to adapt this to hold wheel weights.

When using it, if I need more weight on the back to counterbalance the forks, I just hang a concrete block on the handle.

/ installing wheel weights conveniently #5  
...Sorry, forgot to attach the picture....

Attachments

• 103_0381 B.JPG
    103_0381 B.JPG
    267 KB · Views: 1,043
   / installing wheel weights conveniently #6  
I just used a heavy paper towel to keep from marking up the paint. They are heavy and I'd think someone that was handi capped could maybe get someone to help them with the install. Maybe even someone that was just lazy could too. I think you are going to expend more energy trying to make it easier than if you just took the time to set it in place by hand, but who knows you might just hit on a better way.

Sincerely, Dirt

starterweightinstall.jpg

/ installing wheel weights conveniently #7  
I have a pair of JD wheel weights that I bought for my JD 2305. The weights weigh 50 pounds each. I could muscle these things into the wheel wells, struggle to align the bolts, bang up the paint job, and whatnot, but I'm wondering if there is an easier way.

I have designed a little gadget that will allow me to pick up a weight with a jack, slide the weight into the wheel well, and rotate it to line up the bolt holes. My wife is already laughing at it, and I haven't even made this thing yet.

I have searched the archives and have found no examples of people describing how they intall wheel weights conveniently. My idea of convenient is something that could be done by someone who is disabled or who is just lazy (like me). My idea of convenient is the way I handle all my implements: each one is stored on its own cart that I can wheel around the shop floor without hard pulling.

Is there anyone out there who can share a picture or an idea of mounting wheel weights the easy way?

If I had this task, I'd first try to lift the weights with my roll-around engine hoist.

DSCF0251Small.jpg

At least the hoist would support the weight and allow me to swing it into position without busting up my back.

/ installing wheel weights conveniently #8  
I've got one of these mounted to the (doubled) ceiling joists in my small barn.

Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

I paid about $80 for it. It is useful to lift my 3 point attachments off the floor so they are easier to hook up. I've never used it for wheel weights, but it would provide a nice place for a fulcrum if you wanted to use a lever to lift the weight up into the rim.

/ installing wheel weights conveniently #9  
   / installing wheel weights conveniently #10  
might as well save us the click

102564d1210761787-nh-wheel-weights-weights4.jpg