Is a "hybrid" barbed wire fence more friendly to wildlife?

/ Is a "hybrid" barbed wire fence more friendly to wildlife? #41  
Isn't anyone aware that some animals will duck UNDER a fence? They don't all jump over. I came from Ohio to make hay in Montana one summer and antelope (or something) were usually watching us at a distance. Any move to get close and they ran directly at fences and in flash they magically appeared on the other side but were not juming over. It was a mystery till I was told they fold their legs and slide under the fence. The ranchers set the bottom wire at a certain height above ground so the animals can clear it. I don't know what the best height is but it shouldn't be hard to find it. I am a little surprised that this isn't better known by folks on a tractor forum. No cowhands here I'll guess.

/ Is a "hybrid" barbed wire fence more friendly to wildlife? #42  
If barbed wire endangered wildlife Texas would be littered with carcasses. As it is I see animals of all species dead on shoulder after being hit by motor vehicles but can't recall the last animal I saw dead in a fence. The ONLY reasons I can think of for using barbless wire is children and horses. Were I building a fence solely to prevent a neighbor wandering onto my property I would use 5 strands of 4 barb wire strung loosely. Why loose rather than tight? People use tight strands as steps to cross a fence but it's difficult to climb on loose strands. People hear about government taking land by escheat and some blowhard claims individuals can do the same by using property for xx years then claiming it if rightful owner fails to evict them. Could that be what your neighbor is up to?
As compared to how many mile of fencing have you walked? I mean think about it, you see only the carcasses of animals along side the road. You're not going to see carcasses in locations you don't visit.

/ Is a "hybrid" barbed wire fence more friendly to wildlife? #43  
I've walked many a mile checking and fixing fence and have seen very little wildlife hung in fences.

/ Is a "hybrid" barbed wire fence more friendly to wildlife? #44  
As compared to how many mile of fencing have you walked? I mean think about it, you see only the carcasses of animals along side the road. You're not going to see carcasses in locations you don't visit.
Are you saying that absence of animals hung up in fence on either side of road while driving 15k-18k miles per year is not indication of what is in fences farther from road? I don't "walk" 15k miles of fence every year but I see my share of fencing in remote areas and the only deer dead in a fence a few years ago was by the interstate. By comparison I see at least a dozen goats every year with heads stuck in net field fence (usually still alive) constructed by their drugstore cowboy owners.

/ Is a "hybrid" barbed wire fence more friendly to wildlife? #45  
Seriously? Do you live under a rock? Fire up google search and punch in " pictures of animals caught in barber wire fence. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Nobody said that deer and animals didn't get caught in a barbed wire fence. There just isn't any difference between that and any other fence. They will get caught in it no matter what type of fence you put up. Just Google "deer caught in fence" and you will see lots of deer caught in fences and probably most are not barbed wire.

/ Is a "hybrid" barbed wire fence more friendly to wildlife? #46  
Isn't anyone aware that some animals will duck UNDER a fence? They don't all jump over. I came from Ohio to make hay in Montana one summer and antelope (or something) were usually watching us at a distance. Any move to get close and they ran directly at fences and in flash they magically appeared on the other side but were not juming over. It was a mystery till I was told they fold their legs and slide under the fence. The ranchers set the bottom wire at a certain height above ground so the animals can clear it. I don't know what the best height is but it shouldn't be hard to find it. I am a little surprised that this isn't better known by folks on a tractor forum. No cowhands here I'll guess.
Speed goats go under fences. I have only seen a few actually jump a fence, and all of them are in one band in central Idaho.

I hunt them by unclipping the bottom strand from two adjacent post, and raising it about 6-inches, h which leaves them an easy go-under spot. And the sitting up the hill from the raised length. Opening morning folks are all over the desert, shorting at them and getting them running. They will run down fence lines looking for go-unders. I have a good view for about a mile, and glass them to decide which ones are worthy of being shot. When one of them scoots under the fence I shoot it. Known range, known hold makes a big difference.

/ Is a "hybrid" barbed wire fence more friendly to wildlife? #47  
I don't think that is unknown here, it just didn't apply to a situation where the lower part of the fence is welded/woven wire or some such.

In a traditional barbed wire fence for cattle, there are many ways for wildlife to navigate the fence. The ranchers I know in the Black Hills do not change the height of fencing to accommodate pronghorns. The Antelope adjust to the fencing. Usually, the lower strand is about a foot off of the ground, but terrain can vary that quite a bit. Set your low strand too high and calves will also go under. Most ranchers I know care about the wildlife, but critters caught in barbed wire is an extremely rare issue. They are not about to risk losing a calf for something like that.

/ Is a "hybrid" barbed wire fence more friendly to wildlife? #48  
Please "snag" all the coyotes you can, with that fence. ;)

Deer can jump over a 4' fence without trouble. If it's barbed and the spacing is wide enough, little critters will crawl through fine. I wouldn't bother with a top wire.
I sure agree with not bothering with the top wire! We have deer jumping over our 8' mesh wire fence 'at will'. If the deer want in or out - they'll find a way.

/ Is a "hybrid" barbed wire fence more friendly to wildlife? #49  
Is there a pattern emerging on how animal IQ varies from one part of country to another? I've heard folks say people from xx state or city are stupid but never animals. In some places it's customary for hunters to hang coyotes they kill on a fence. Is it possible folks see those and think the coyotes accidently became snared on the fence? 🤣
I'll buy the coffee for anyone willing to talk about wildlife friendly fences at one the places ranchers gather mornings after feeding and checking their livestock. Specifically I'd like to see them trying to convince ranchers they should use barbless wire so wildlife doesn't hurt themselves.

/ Is a "hybrid" barbed wire fence more friendly to wildlife? #50  
Since wildlife is your concern and you simply want to keep your neighbor away, I would only use bare wire and only install two wires one at two feet and one at 4 feet...

I will be building a fence for horses in the near future, and I was told to not bother with barb wire for horses. Other than being pain to install and scratch your horses they dont do much to keep horses inside or wildlife out, so I won't put any ... for cows I would.

Last edited: