Is anyone here familiar with scaffolding?

/ Is anyone here familiar with scaffolding?
   / Is anyone here familiar with scaffolding? #13  
Are there any local shops that have samples of different scaffolding that you can look at and even test set up? Some styles are tool less assembly while others have threaded studs and wing nuts holding them together. I always had problems with dropping the wingnuts. Like others have stated getting the first section level is key. For the height and terrain you mention I would not go with low quality units. $1000 won’t buy a day in the hospital.

/ Is anyone here familiar with scaffolding? #14  
I have a dozen sections of scaffolding, and stain at least one side of my 2 story house every summer. I'd love to rent a lift, but I don't want to paint 8 hours a day, for a week, because the meter is running on the rental. I leave the scaffolding up for 3 - 4 weeks and take my time. Scrape, wire brush, catch the loose nails, set a few screws, recaulk, two coats of stain, then two coats of on the trim and then spot check/stain all my drips......

With the scaffolding I can work for an hour or for a complete day, there's no rush to get the rental out the door. I go through 6 - 24 gallons of stain a year, depending on how much I get done. We have a big house with an attached garage as well as a 3 bay detached shop/garage.
For planks, I use 8' 2x10 with a 2x4 stringer screwed to the underside to stiffen and prevent the plank from sliding off the scaffolding rails. I'll set 4 at different heights so I don't have to move planks while I'm painting.

/ Is anyone here familiar with scaffolding?
Wow - every year?

we are on year five with Cabot semitransparent oil-based stain, and I am planning ahead for next year to do this!

but what you said is why I want to own - no clock ticking. Work when you can, as much as you can.

/ Is anyone here familiar with scaffolding? #16  
I'm a definite cheapskate.
I made do with 2 step ladders and boards between them for decades. But the darn 12' fiberglass step ladder kept putting on weight. Then a project came up in 2020. I broke down and bought a pair (should have bought 3) of the "Multipurpose Scaffold, 6 ft. L, SCAF72" at TSC, for about $120@ (they were on sale, now they are $255@). At the time I only needed one. Come 2021 my 40x20 carport collapsed and I needed both to reach the peak for a "clean" takedown.
I've used one at a time for a few projects inside where the stepladders/boards solution would have worked.
A few pointers -
If your like me - a 1 man crew - don't get something heavy. These cheap ones are light, good for 1,000 lbs and easy to move. If your mixing mortar up there or working with cement blocks you might need something heavier.
Get the outriggers if you've got the $$. I ginned up my own w/ used 2x4's and carriage bolts.
Dedicate some lumber for stable footing if outside.
Have some way to tie it off, even if your only using 1. Stability is good for the mind.

/ Is anyone here familiar with scaffolding? #17  
I have the yellow, bakers style scaffold for long term, indoor projects. It's kind of rickety, but it does the job for a fair price. I wouldn't recommend it for anything outdoors, or very high.

I've rented scaffolding before, but not recently. It's takes so much time to load it up, haul it to the job, unload it, set it up, then take it down, haul it back to the rental yard, that I've done everything possible to not do it again. I can't even count how many times I've been in to Norther Tool with the plan on buying my own set, but then walked out without buying anything. Usually I talk myself into dealing with a ladder instead.

From what I've seen, Northern Tool seems to have the best prices for decent quality.

When looking at a job, I make the decision on doing it based on my ability to rent a lift, use a ladder, or if I have to rent scaffolding. If I have to deal with scaffolding, I pass on doing the job. Most of the time, I can get everything done with different ladders.

/ Is anyone here familiar with scaffolding? #18  
I wish I could - terrain, soil and decks won’t permit it.
Do you have enough cash to buy a used man-lift for the summer/year, then sell it when the project is complete?

I used to have to set scaffolding for a brick mason about 40+ years ago. Once you go over 2 sections high, it’s a must to secure it to the structure. Also, it’s a must to secure the decking. It’s very easy to slide a piece of decking into the center and down you go. Leg injury at the least. Broken something very possible. Also, railings are now a must. We didn’t use them back then. You were supposed to remember that you’re up high enough to become paralyzed for life if you fall.

It’s heavy and awkward if you’re by yourself, and if you’re not a kid anymore, it’s heavier and awkwarder! 🙃

Flat, level, sturdy pads and jacks on all four legs if on any questionable surface. Indoors, a rolling scaffold on wheels is fantastic. Outdoors, not so much.

Knowing now what I didn’t know then, I’d go for the man-lift if at all possible. That’s why you see so many on job sites now. They are more efficient and safer.

Good luck on your project. (y)

/ Is anyone here familiar with scaffolding? #19  
I have the yellow, bakers style scaffold for long term, indoor projects. It's kind of rickety, but it does the job for a fair price. I wouldn't recommend it for anything outdoors, or very high.

I've rented scaffolding before, but not recently. It's takes so much time to load it up, haul it to the job, unload it, set it up, then take it down, haul it back to the rental yard, that I've done everything possible to not do it again. I can't even count how many times I've been in to Norther Tool with the plan on buying my own set, but then walked out without buying anything. Usually I talk myself into dealing with a ladder instead.

From what I've seen, Northern Tool seems to have the best prices for decent quality.

When looking at a job, I make the decision on doing it based on my ability to rent a lift, use a ladder, or if I have to rent scaffolding. If I have to deal with scaffolding, I pass on doing the job. Most of the time, I can get everything done with different ladders.
There you go. 4 units for $1K. Plus decking, a pulley, some feet, pads, jacks, etc… figure it into the cost of the project this time and they’ll last the OP a very long time.

/ Is anyone here familiar with scaffolding? #20  
Wow - every year?

we are on year five with Cabot semitransparent oil-based stain, and I am planning ahead for next year to do this!

but what you said is why I want to own - no clock ticking. Work when you can, as much as you can.
I do one side of the house every year, that way I stay ahead of things. If I miss a year, like last year due to the rain every other day, it's not a big deal. Complete coverage in a 4 - 5 year average.