Is it safe to experiment with adding exhaust to a tier 4 diesel?

/ Is it safe to experiment with adding exhaust to a tier 4 diesel?
That tractor is not all that loud when your cold and in the dark. But seems to get louder when you have lights and heat? Interesting problem.

:)
I'm trying to think of my neighbors mostly. I live in an odd place. It's a semi-residential street in the middle of nowhere. It's like they were going to build a subdivision on the outskirts of a growing town, but the town never grew, and they never finished the subdivision. I live at the end of the road on 2.5 acres but I have neighbors right next door. During the recent apocalyptic Texas cold snap, my neighbors were sitting in the cold and dark while I was sitting just in the cold (my generator didn't have enough balls to run the electric heater). I had the generator in the well pump house and they still complained of the noise. Not rudely; not even a solid complaint really, but they brought it up. I can imagine how it must suck to have to listen to a generator running all night, and still be in the dark and cold.

The tractor is even louder than the generator, and it won't fit in the pump house. So next time around It's going to be a double-whammy for them. Twice as loud, and I'll be sitting in warmth with the lights on. Maybe I should just invite them over and get them too drunk to walk home? We could talk about them buying a generator over a bottle of whiskey.

/ Is it safe to experiment with adding exhaust to a tier 4 diesel? #12  
I have looked into it and I would like to do something like that but the tractor needs to run at least a certain RPM (2k?) in order for the regen to do its thing. Also at lower rpm it might not have the HP to run the A/C or electric heat.
You can run it at a lower rpm. It'll just regen more often.

You can do the calculations to see how many HP are needed for a certain generator output, then look at a power curve for your engine. Unless you're powering a hot tub or indoor weed farm (and have an extra large PTO generator) you won't need anywhere close to 40hp. Most generators run at a fraction of their full output most of the time.

If you planned it right your generator frame would have two inputs, one at 1:1 and one that gears it up some for lower engine speed. So you could move the PTO shaft from the slow speed one to the 1:1 input when you need to run your bank of grow lights.

You can run it at a lower rpm. It'll just regen more often.

You can do the calculations to see how many HP are needed for a certain generator output, then look at a power curve for your engine. Unless you're powering a hot tub or indoor weed farm (and have an extra large PTO generator) you won't need anywhere close to 40hp. Most generators run at a fraction of their full output most of the time.

If you planned it right your generator frame would have two inputs, one at 1:1 and one that gears it up some for lower engine speed. So you could move the PTO shaft from the slow speed one to the 1:1 input when you need to run your bank of grow lights.
I'm planning for the grow house scenario. After the power came back I measured the amp draw on the house with the heater on, 77A. Septic and well were off, but septic pump draws 15A and well pump draws 12A. There's a very good possibility that both those pumps will be running at the same time (plus the water heater, ??? Amps) if someone is taking a shower. So I'm figuring 120A real-world, maybe not even worst case. That's 28kW (38HP). My 40HP tractor might not even be able to handle it.

But I suppose I could add a high gear for just in case we lose power during 2-week span of temperate weather on either side of summer.

/ Is it safe to experiment with adding exhaust to a tier 4 diesel? #14  
Pumps may draw 15 amps and 12 amps, but they probably draw 90 amps and 72 amps (or more) for a moment or two when they start up. How your tractor and generator responds and whether it can ride through this starting inrush depends on what else is running, how close to max generator is at, rotational momentum of gen and engine, engine governor response time, etc...
Generator doesn’t need to be sized for 90 and 72 amps continuously, but sizing for 15 and 12 amps doesn’t consider start currents.

When tractors go into regen, do they automatically up their rpms? They could make a generator go whacky if running at reduced rpms with a pto gear multiplier.

/ Is it safe to experiment with adding exhaust to a tier 4 diesel? #15  
Yoopers have electricity?

Pumps may draw 15 amps and 12 amps, but they probably draw 90 amps and 72 amps (or more) for a moment or two when they start up. How your tractor and generator responds and whether it can ride through this starting inrush depends on what else is running, how close to max generator is at, rotational momentum of gen and engine, engine governor response time, etc...
Generator doesn’t need to be sized for 90 and 72 amps continuously, but sizing for 15 and 12 amps doesn’t consider start currents.

When tractors go into regen, do they automatically up their rpms? They could make a generator go whacky if running at reduced rpms with a pto gear multiplier.
I'm not too worried about inrush or startup current. My first few words in this thread ("I'm about to get a PTO generator") were oversimplified to the point of being misleading. I already have the generator head and what I'm about to get is a drive train for it. I worded it that way on purpose because I already have a thread here about the generator head and I didn't (don't) want to rehash that whole thread here, which tends to happen every time I bring it up. The generator head is a 225kW (or 275kW? I keep getting it mixed up) caterpillar unit meant to be powered by a 400HP CAT diesel. It probably has enough inertia to drive a locomotive a few yards down the track after rotary power is removed. Getting it up to speed is the bigger concern.

My tractor increases RPM for regen, if I'm below the minimum rpm for regen. It's been a while since I was in that situation so I don't remember if it does so without permission, but I don't think so. I think it will flash dash lights of disapproval at you until raise the rpm so it can regen. But once you've done that and regen has started, it won't let you bring the rpms back down without canceling the regen with some cheat code combination of button presses, which it harshly scolds you about. The regen rpm is around 450-500 PTO rpm I believe? So if I'm running at 540 or higher (I almost always am, and always will be in generator mode) I don't even notice.

/ Is it safe to experiment with adding exhaust to a tier 4 diesel? #17  
Strantor, I'm curious what PTO gen you're thinking about? We're in much the same situation (thinking about how to survive the next freezepocalypse or summer grid overload). I've concluded there is really no practical way to run the entire house -- I could run one of the two heat pumps and the fridge/freezer plus lights, etc. But realistically I'd have to manually switch off the heat/AC in order to occasionally run the septic or the oven or a water heater. It's a tradeoff between the cost/size of the generator vs the probability of needing it (which I expect will be rare). It's very easy to reach a 80-100 amp total draw summer afternoons, but getting a generator big enough for that? Even if my current tractor or my next tractor could power it... I dunno.

Not sure how to help you quiet things down. One idea: offer to share some power with your neighbors. A long extension cord might keep their lights and fridge on and complaints to a minimum :)

/ Is it safe to experiment with adding exhaust to a tier 4 diesel? #18  
Get about 8x 10' t-posts, 6x 10' 2x4's, 10x 6x8 moving blankets, and 30 or so spring clamps.

When you need to run it park the tractor, put in the t-posts about 4' off of it for ventilation/air flow, string the 2x4's across the top, clamp the moving blankets on and done. Depending on the temps you might want to add some fans to keep enough airflow to cool the genny and tractor.

Strantor, I'm curious what PTO gen you're thinking about?

I'm rolling my own. It's a project I started a couple of years ago and it got pushed to the back burner. I'm reviving it. I'll be posting more pics to the old build thread soon.

Here's a teaser: 20210314_194703.jpg

I've concluded there is really no practical way to run the entire house
It helps to free yourself of the need to be practical. There is nothing practical about what I'm doing, and I'm comfortable with that.
Not sure how to help you quiet things down. One idea: offer to share some power with your neighbors. A long extension cord might keep their lights and fridge on and complaints to a minimum :)
Yeah I could do that. I'll put them on a breaker so I don't have to worry about them trying to turn on their HVAC and stalling my tractor.

/ Is it safe to experiment with adding exhaust to a tier 4 diesel? #20  

Here's a teaser:View attachment 690379
Great Scott! I'll look forward to seeing the details :)