JD 755 CUT Governor Issues?

/ JD 755 CUT Governor Issues? #11  
It sounds like your only problem is operating the engine at too low RPM. Set it to the rated PTO RPM for operation and all should be good. I engage the PTO at about 2000 RPM, then increase it. The PTO has a hydraulic clutch that helps absorb the load surge. I have operated mine for over twenty years like this and never had any problems.

/ JD 755 CUT Governor Issues? #12  
I engage mower deck at 2100-2300 rpm, then throttle up once it's spinning. If I try to do it at any lower speed, the engine may stall, but will certainly be lugging. Like JD755, I've been doing it this way for over 20 years.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ JD 755 CUT Governor Issues? #13  
I guess I don't have much to offer. My 955 behaves differently... it has more than enough power to engage the PTO with my JD272 RFM at idle. I then throttle it up to rated PTO speed. If I'm mowing and climbing a hill the RPMs will drop a hundred or so. Save the inertia brake, I always throttle down before disengaging the PTO except in case of an emergency shut down.

/ JD 755 CUT Governor Issues? #14  
It should engage at idle or slightly above. Never had one that would not start a mower at idle. My bet is your timing is off. Does it smoke like crazy when it is trying pick up speed

/ JD 755 CUT Governor Issues? #15  
Engaging the PTO at this speed seems almost like abuse? I'm used to engaging the PTO at idle speed to prevent excessive driveline loading? I can do this even with a 10hp lawn tractor....

-Al
The ability to engage at low RPM is a function of power to load. The 60 inch deck is a considerable load. I would ask how much of a load does the deck on that 10 hp lawn tractor provide. I expect not very much. The 60 inch deck would kill that 10 hp at any speed. Going the other direction, the power from a 955 is so much more than the 755 provides that it has no trouble at all starting the deck from idle. So needing to start the deck from about 2100 RPM is pretty normal for a 755.

/ JD 755 CUT Governor Issues? #16  
I've had numerous F935 front mounts with that same engine with 72" decks and everyone would start at idle. In fact I slowed the idle's down from factory settings just to make the shock load less on startup.

/ JD 755 CUT Governor Issues? #17  
When in doubt, read the instructions. :) The Deere operating manual for the mower deck for the -55 series tractors says to start the mower, position the throttle at 1/3 open prior to engaging the PTO.

/ JD 755 CUT Governor Issues? #18  
When in doubt, read the instructions. :) The Deere operating manual for the mower deck for the -55 series tractors says to start the mower, position the throttle at 1/3 open prior to engaging the PTO.

When 'all else' fails read the manual:D It said the same in my F935 manual but it would still start the mower at idle.:2cents:

/ JD 755 CUT Governor Issues?
Well, I think I found the problem. Tractor will now pick up rpm after engaging the PTO at idle. It takes a second, but there wasn't a chance of that happening earlier. I took it out and exercised it a little in a sand lot with the loader. Though I surely had my doubts earlier, I think this tractor and I might be able to become buddies after all!

It was the (drum roll please......) OTHER spring inside the governor, not much bigger than the spring you'd find in a retractable ball point pen? One diagram I looked at refered to it as a "starter" spring (if memory is serving me well?)? I pulled it down one more time and stretched that spring so it was about half again longer than it was originally, and put it back together with crossed fingers. It's now a much different behaving tractor. I can live with it like this. Loader runs fine, to the point the tires will slip in 4wd, without the huge changes in rpm, and do that while set at 24-2500 rpm. Now, you can hear and feel the governor doing what it's supposed to do. Still not like what I'm used to (23hp Kubota B7610), but the 755 is about 10% less power, making it the smallest one I've run to date. I was hoping that 10% wasn't going to make THAT much difference, and now, apparently, it appears it'll be ok.

Thanks for all the input. Sometimes all it takes is the chance to bounce some ideas off others and get a little feed back to put you on the right path?

I'll be ordering out a set of gaskets and both springs the first of the week. That way, I'll pull it down one more time, and be done with it....

Thanks everyone. Your help,thoughts much appreciated!
-Al

/ JD 755 CUT Governor Issues? #20  
Glad you found the problem. Enjoy your tractor.

I am glad to admit I was wrong on this issue. I went for many years without a tachometer and thought I knew the engine RPM by sound, but earlier this year I put in a new tachometer, and today I paid closer attention to the RPM for engaging implements.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/john-deere-owning-operating/279149-755-tachometer.html

Turns out I was engaging at about 1500 RPM, which is close to the idle speed.