JD 755 CUT Governor Issues?

/ JD 755 CUT Governor Issues? #41  
Tried to locate this adjustment in the service tech manual and didn't find it. Appreciate the very clear pics that were posted by Fred, and the explanation for adjustment by DrBill.
Makes me wonder why the tech manual (which I have for the 755) doesn't show it as a governor adjustment. Am also interested if it is a similar adjustment feature on my Yanmar in the 4300.

/ JD 755 CUT Governor Issues? #42  
Been There,

I agree with your comments on the manual--it's not helpful. In the parts diagrams on JD's web site this whole assembly we're fiddling with has the remark "fuel control" beside the parts. What they don't show is that little rod with 2 nuts that's inside the tube we're unscrewing. I tried my best not to turn or move that rod while unscrewing the tube--it's probably not connected inside in a way that it's turning matters given it flops around a bit but I don't know. I couldn't tell from the parts diagram that it was even there.

Michahicks deserves a lot of credit too for his relentless search years ago to find this fix which he, unlike what many folks would have done, took the time to post allowing each of us to share in his findings even years later.

/ JD 755 CUT Governor Issues? #43  
I saw that in jdparts too.
That small rod is hooked to the spring. So probably stays a bit loose and centers itself in a rotational manner.

I don't see such a thing for the 4300, so am assuming it is not an adjustment that can be made. Maybe has to do with the EPA control that has to be followed now.

/ JD 755 CUT Governor Issues? #44  
I'm not sure how to help you with the 4300. I don't even see a governor on the 4300 in the parts listing. Surely it has one. I don't see any parts breakdown for the injector pump either. It would be about 10 years newer than the 755 I figure. Is that stuff electronically controlled? My suggestion would be to post a new message asking for help identifying the governor on the tractor, where it is, and any parts info on it--just to get started by finding it and looking at potential adjustment points. Perhaps a new post will draw people who aren't interested in the 755 governor issue. I'd ask on Yesterday's Tractors site too. 301 Moved Permanently I'd ask in the tractor talk section as that gets more traffic than the JD forum. Worst come to worst I'd call or best visit a dealer's parts center and ask where the governor is and if there are adjustments that can be made--do they have a parts list you could look at. If you catch them at a not so busy time they might well stand there and talk about things with you--if it turns out you need parts you might order them from them after all. Lastly and it didn't help me I was googling for Yanmar governor adjustments as it is a Yanmar engine and they are used on lots of things--I hoped to see something similar to mine. Good luck.

/ JD 755 CUT Governor Issues? #45  
I made this adjustment on the governor of my 855 a few days ago, turning the barrel out about 3/4 turn - many thanks to those who posted the instructions. The tractor would previously struggle in heavy snow with the 59-inch snowblower. Impeller speed is important to maintain throwing distance, but the engine would drop from 3200 rpm down to 2500 in the snowbanks if I wasn't careful and really sound like it was laboring. In the storm we had this past weekend - very dense snow with a lot of sleet and freezing rain on top - after making the governor adjustment, the tractor just powered right through.

I did notice a bit of exhaust smoke when I got into the heavier snow. How much smoke is too much? I wouldn't call it black, but the exhaust turned from clean to a little sooty under load. Is it OK for the engine to have some extra fuel (causing the smoke), or should I dial back the governor adjustment?

Thanks.

/ JD 755 CUT Governor Issues? #46  
I made this adjustment on the governor of my 855 a few days ago, turning the barrel out about 3/4 turn - many thanks to those who posted the instructions. The tractor would previously struggle in heavy snow with the 59-inch snowblower. Impeller speed is important to maintain throwing distance, but the engine would drop from 3200 rpm down to 2500 in the snowbanks if I wasn't careful and really sound like it was laboring. In the storm we had this past weekend - very dense snow with a lot of sleet and freezing rain on top - after making the governor adjustment, the tractor just powered right through.

I did notice a bit of exhaust smoke when I got into the heavier snow. How much smoke is too much? I wouldn't call it black, but the exhaust turned from clean to a little sooty under load. Is it OK for the engine to have some extra fuel (causing the smoke), or should I dial back the governor adjustment?

Thanks.

A little smoke is just fine with a non turbo charged diesel. Keep in mind these are old tech engines so a little 'haze' under heavy load is just fine.

/ JD 755 CUT Governor Issues? #47  
Tried to locate this adjustment in the service tech manual and didn't find it. Appreciate the very clear pics that were posted by Fred, and the explanation for adjustment by DrBill.
Makes me wonder why the tech manual (which I have for the 755) doesn't show it as a governor adjustment. Am also interested if it is a similar adjustment feature on my Yanmar in the 4300.

Hi beenthere.

Did you find the info you needed on governor adjustment? I have a JD 950 which I think has the same engine as a Yanmar 4300 except for the turbo. The engine is a 3T90J. After a lot of mucking around and working through the service manual and taking a stab in the dark my governor is working perfectly. I set it exactly as the service manual says (including the torque spring to 12mm) and then backed the whole torque spring assembly away from the governor one whole turn.

Hopefully this helps if you are still working on yours.

Cheers

/ JD 755 CUT Governor Issues? #48  
Now 2019, and frankly have not had a reason to pursue the question as the 4300 is still running and performing quite well.
Due to the subject coming up, and not able to track it down, I was curious.. hope I don't have to take that "stab in the dark" if the time comes around.
But appreciate your concern and reply.