JD Hydro 175 - no spark (new coil, still no spark)

/ JD Hydro 175 - no spark (new coil, still no spark)
if this is the coil you bought, did you set the air gap?, and you do NOT want it grounded, there should a single wire that goes to it, with the key off, it goes to ground, which disables spark.

That looks just like the one I bought; ( Amazon.com: PARTSRUN 21121-2008 New Ignition Coil for John Deere AM101065 Replace Kawasaki FB460V FC400V Engine 211212008,ZF126-1: Garden & Outdoor ). Okay on grounding (so much for what the other person prescribed - which now makes complete sense in what not to do).

"Did I set the air gap"? I installed it as I have 50 other coils where I put a thin business card in between the edges of the coil when the magnet on the flywheel rotates past. With the magnet "in place" and the card in between, I tighten the screws securing the coil. When I remove the card, all the other machines have run fine. Is that "air gapping"?

/ JD Hydro 175 - no spark (new coil, still no spark) #13  
can you give me the exact model you bought
That looks just like the one I bought; ( Amazon.com: PARTSRUN 21121-2008 New Ignition Coil for John Deere AM101065 Replace Kawasaki FB460V FC400V Engine 211212008,ZF126-1: Garden & Outdoor ). Okay on grounding (so much for what the other person prescribed - which now makes complete sense in what not to do).

"Did I set the air gap"? I installed it as I have 50 other coils where I put a thin business card in between the edges of the coil when the magnet on the flywheel rotates past. With the magnet "in place" and the card in between, I tighten the screws securing the coil. When I remove the card, all the other machines have run fine. Is that "air gapping"?
yes it is,
and a screw driver sticks to the fly wheel? the only thing i can say is make sure the body of the coil is not grounding out anywhere, i added a aftermarket one to a B&S motor, and found i had to grind the head a bit to make sure there was enough clearance.

put the spark plug on it, and touch it to frame, should work with the motor spinning over, they are pretty basic. if still no spark remove the single wire from the coil, but be aware if it fires up, you will need to ground that terminal for the engine to shut off, or jam a rag in the intake as the key will no longer disable it.

can you give me the exact model you bought

yes it is,
and a screw driver sticks to the fly wheel? the only thing i can say is make sure the body of the coil is not grounding out anywhere, i added a aftermarket one to a B&S motor, and found i had to grind the head a bit to make sure there was enough clearance.

put the spark plug on it, and touch it to frame, should work with the motor spinning over, they are pretty basic. if still no spark remove the single wire from the coil, but be aware if it fires up, you will need to ground that terminal for the engine to shut off, or jam a rag in the intake as the key will no longer disable it.
Thank you. I'll have to confirm the exact model of the coil itself - the place I bought it, "Parts Run" only shows their part number. I researched exactly what that engine called for, searched for THAT part number, and bought the one that said it fit the spec....

Will do the other test(s) you suggest, but, with no light-up on the idiot tester, not sure what hold the spark plug to the frame is going to do - but ...I WILL try it :). thank you.

/ JD Hydro 175 - no spark (new coil, still no spark) #15  
Thank you. I'll have to confirm the exact model of the coil itself - the place I bought it, "Parts Run" only shows their part number. I researched exactly what that engine called for, searched for THAT part number, and bought the one that said it fit the spec....

Will do the other test(s) you suggest, but, with no light-up on the idiot tester, not sure what hold the spark plug to the frame is going to do - but ...I WILL try it :). thank you.
i meant the model number of your meter, so i can show you how to set ohms on it, i have astro AI meter as well. I don't know what a idiot tester is, i just use a inline tester, unless you mean grounding yourself and touching the coil plug, cus that hurts!

/ JD Hydro 175 - no spark (new coil, still no spark) #16  
Yessir. No change.

After reading Tomplum's comment, I took of the igniter and tested it and it failed the test. Ordered another for $9 and change - crossing fingers that that will do it.

I need to get better at testing ignition coils, (sadly, I don't know how to 'set' my new AstroA1 multimeter to a 20K range for ohms/resistance, but, if I could - then maybe I'd be able to actually test both the old and new coils - prove whether it is or isn't the igniter). :)
IMO Ohming out coils doesn't always pan out on these. I used to grab the manual and do the same, but it is so much easier just popping an igniter that you have in the top drawer of your tool box....
Also for those that stumble across this thread, there are 2 distinctly different ignition systems on the FC420V. One has the igniter, one does not. The coils and the flywheels do not interchange.

/ JD Hydro 175 - no spark (new coil, still no spark) #17  
IMO Ohming out coils doesn't always pan out on these. I used to grab the manual and do the same, but it is so much easier just popping an igniter that you have in the top drawer of your tool box....
Also for those that stumble across this thread, there are 2 distinctly different ignition systems on the FC420V. One has the igniter, one does not. The coils and the flywheels do not interchange.

I was just looking at this, I have not run into a ignitor on a B&S motor I am reading the kawi may have an ignitor, I do not know how to test them, or how they work, other then it seems to send a signal or an amplified signal to the coil to fire., which if that is the case, it may be a trigger wire vs a grounding wire on the coil itself.

I was just looking at this, I have not run into a ignitor on a B&S motor I am reading the kawi may have an ignitor, I do not know how to test them, or how they work, other then it seems to send a signal or an amplified signal to the coil to fire., which if that is the case, it may be a trigger wire vs a grounding wire on the coil itself.
Thanks LittleBill. I found the Igniter and tested it (as shown on some other site) and mine appears caput. As tomplum suggested, these are known to be a weak point, so I've ordered one and ...fingers crossed that it will solve my probs.

Thanks again - everyone. Will report back on findings with the new Igniter

i meant the model number of your meter, so i can show you how to set ohms on it, i have astro AI meter as well. I don't know what a idiot tester is, i just use a inline tester, unless you mean grounding yourself and touching the coil plug, cus that hurts!
The first multimeter I bought is an AstroAI DT132A. The second one is an AM33D