JD X310 - no spark

/ JD X310 - no spark #1  

ricardo1967

Tractor
2012 JD X310
First time posting, long time reader. Problem at hand: JD X310 cranks, but no spark. Details:

1) 2012 JD X310 bought in Jan/2016 from first owner - in great shape - with ~140 hours.

2) I got carried away while power washing it a couple months ago (using Krud Kutter multi-purpose pressure washer concentrate). Idiotic, I know.

3) While power washing, some water/detergent reached electric components, causing it to self-crank randomly. In panic, immediately suspected it was the ignition switch, so I disconnected the battery.

4) The mower worked fine in the following weeks. I'd disconnect the battery after using it, just to be safe and avoid unintended cranking. After a couple weeks, I got confident and stopped disconnecting the battery. That worked fine for a month or so.

5) Than one day I find the mower in the shed with battery totally drained. So I jump started it to go mowing. It fired up fine, worked for 10 minutes, did a loud back fire and died. It smelled burned plastic (wire or something). It wouldn't crank, all dead. All fuses were good.

6) I found the micro-relay (JD info is confusing, it's either PN 57M9880 or M169838 they're equivalent) visibly burned. I replaced the relay with a generic one (Carquest BWD R4823). This restored cranking, but still no spark.

Model: X310 Tractor
Date of Manufacture: 050212
Product Identification Number: 1M0X310AECM223815

Engine: Kawasaki 603
Family: KAXS.603N4CB
Made of Mgf: 0412
Code: FS600V-AS21-R
E/No: FS600VA43163

Any tip on where to start troubleshooting it? Thanks in advance.

/ JD X310 - no spark
Here is a location for the FS600V engine shop manual.

Down load and save. Look in there for some hints on where to start troubleshoot.

Richard

Richard, thanks a lot for the engine shop manual, good stuff!

/ JD X310 - no spark #4  
Not that this is your problem but when the ECU fails you can crank all day and no sparky. At around $73 it worth troubleshooting a little bit though, p/n am141075 (it is a little rectangular box that mounts under the dash).

/ JD X310 - no spark
Not that this is your problem but when the ECU fails you can crank all day and no sparky. At around $73 it worth troubleshooting a little bit though, p/n am141075 (it is a little rectangular box that mounts under the dash).

Thanks for the tip Morrison... however, I could not locate this ECU in my X310. Is it miniscule and integrated with the hour-meter?

I'm a new member here and can't post pictures yet.