John Deere 2305 Engine Replacement?

/ John Deere 2305 Engine Replacement? #11  
Some more - X740, X744, X748, and X749, from 2006 -2010. The X495, and X595 after 2005. There might be more, I just did a quick look through tractordata. I've seen engines and parts for these turn up on eBay also. Tractordata has the serial number breaks for when they changed engines in each model.

/ John Deere 2305 Engine Replacement? #12  
johnwilldo
You'll be very lucky if crankshaft wasn't damaged.

2210 has 1.0L(61 cid) while 2305 has 1.1L(68 cid)

/ John Deere 2305 Engine Replacement? #13  
johnwilldo
You'll be very lucky if crankshaft wasn't damaged.

2210 has 1.0L(61 cid) while 2305 has 1.1L(68 cid)

I've found conflicting info for the 2210 engine online. Wonder if it had a change during production or just bad info online. Most of the models I listed had different engines at different times which is why the serial number of the unit is very important.

/ John Deere 2305 Engine Replacement? #14  
Here's the list of models that the engine will interchange according to JDparts.com and 2210 isn't in the list.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    23.2 KB · Views: 232
   / John Deere 2305 Engine Replacement?
Well, I never got the time to start trouble shooting my tractor failure. I towed it to a local garage where it sat for a month unattended. I contacted a local Amish tractor repair shop and they would not be able to even look at it for two months. I found a post on CL that was listing a part for the JD 2305, so thinking he may be parting out the tractor, I made a phone call. Turns out that he runs his own repair service and was willing to look at my broken John Deere 2305. I borrowed a trailer and took it down to his place. In less than five minutes he discovers a broken drive shaft that runs from the engine to the HST unit. Due to my past experience with our local JD Dealers, I did not want to take my tractor there.

/ John Deere 2305 Engine Replacement? #17  
Sounds like you lucked out! At least, now you don't have to worry about rebuilding or finding another engine. Hope the guy gets it repaired so you can get back in the saddle and finish your mowing. :thumbsup:

/ John Deere 2305 Engine Replacement? #18  
A majority of 2305 an similar tractor owners when told there are grease fittings on the engine to hydrostatic shaft unit. They will give you a blank look of confusion and surprise . They must figure the operator's manual is a coaster to set beverages on instead of being reading material.

Last edited:
   / John Deere 2305 Engine Replacement? #19  
John,
Sounds like a cheap fix by comparison, good for you.

/ John Deere 2305 Engine Replacement? #20  
My 2010 John Deere 2305 engine with 960 hours on it blew while field mowing last week. I heard a rattle and stopped the tractor, but let the engine run at low idle. I dismounted the tractor and lifted the hood to see what was making the noise and that is when is came to a VERY noisy and metalic sounding stop! Sounded like it threw a rod, but I have not had the time to pull the engine or drop the oil pan.

My question would be about replacement Yanmar engines, salvage? Rebuilt? Anyone parting out a 2305 and have an engine? Is there an aftermarket availabillity other than John Deere?
GM johnwilldo I've got a 2305 cat diesel engine rebuild emai