john deere 301 a

/ john deere 301 a #1  

kalib

Tractor
301 a
i have a john deere 301 a tractor that when trying to engage the rear pto depressing the clutch does not disengage the pto drive and it doesn't allow you to flip the pto lever to the on position. pushing the lever forward only causes it to grind gears, the clutch works fine for the transmission but just not the pto, any insight on how to fix this would be appreciated, thanks.

/ john deere 301 a #2  
Welcome to this forum.
If your tractor has the option of dual stage clutch it sounds as if clutch pedal isn't adjusted/operating correctly or pto clutch plate is stuck to pressure plate. If pto clutch is stuck to PP I suggest to attach 3 pt post hole digger & attempt to dig some holes with clutch pedal fully depressed.

Some JD utility tractors have option of locking out operation of pto clutch by changing linkage on foot pedal. This info should be in 301 or 1020 operators manual. If you don't have 1020 operators manual you can download one for FREE at the following link. https://techpubs.deere.com/en-US/Search/Equipment

Last edited:
   / john deere 301 a #3  
Exactly what I was going to mention. We had 310a's with side mount sickle bars we mowed roadsides with, that had a mid-mount pto to drive the mowers. They had 2 stage clutches so the mower would be running before forward movement. If I remember correctly, the rear pto shaft was factory deleted on these. I do remember the engagement lever for the mid PTO was down on the left side of the transmission/torque tube case, not sure where, or if the same lever would engage the rear PTO.

I also recall that if you're pretty rough engaging it, there is a roll pin in the cross shaft that will shear. In that case the tractor needs split to repair it. Found that out after I took a few days off work and the guy who they put on the tractor I used did this and sheared the pin. Just putting that out there for the poster, to be forewarned, just don't be haunching on it too hard.

I'm an IH guy, but those are sweet little tractors..!!

/ john deere 301 a
Welcome to this forum.
If your tractor has the option of dual stage clutch it sounds as if clutch pedal isn't adjusted/operating correctly or pto clutch plate is stuck to pressure plate. If pto clutch is stuck to PP I suggest to attach 3 pt post hole digger & attempt to dig some holes with clutch pedal fully depressed.

Some JD utility tractors have option of locking out operation of pto clutch by changing linkage on foot pedal. This info should be in 301 or 1020 operators manual. If you don't have 1020 operators manual you can download one for FREE at the following link. https://techpubs.deere.com/en-US/Search/Equipment
thank you for your advise, ill definitely give that a try, so i did use the rear pto with a bush hog like it is, you have to engage the pto when the tractor is off then start it with the pto engaged but it is quite hard on the starter cranking all that over at once, being it is working like that you would think that the clutch is not bad just stuck to the pressure plate possible?

/ john deere 301 a #5  
Yes if pto clutch is stuck to PP you can engage pto with engine stopped then start engine with mower blades rotating.

/ john deere 301 a #6  
thank you for your advise, ill definitely give that a try, so i did use the rear pto with a bush hog like it is, you have to engage the pto when the tractor is off then start it with the pto engaged but it is quite hard on the starter cranking all that over at once, being it is working like that you would think that the clutch is not bad just stuck to the pressure plate possible?
That or just needs adjusted but have no idea how to do that. My experience with them was from a memory 40+ years ago. If you plan on keeping the tractor, it'd be a wise investment on finding a service/repair manual for it. Something more than an I&T manual. They are OK for the basics, but tough to beat an OEM manual.