Joining PVC to CPVC

/ Joining PVC to CPVC #11  
Something not making sense as the OD for all sizes of sch 40 pvc and cpvc are the same regardless of size.

No they’re not. CPVC and PVC are different diameter and they won’t glue together.

/ Joining PVC to CPVC #12  
No they’re not. CPVC and PVC are different diameter and they won’t glue together.
As a retired pipefitter I can tell you without reservation that the OD's are the same which is why I suggested something is not correct.

Here is a pipe size schedule:

/ Joining PVC to CPVC #13  
CPVC comes in both NPS and CTS sizes. CPVC in NPS (nominal pipe size) is the exact same as PVC. This is the most common sizing, however if you have CPVC in CTS (copper tube size) then it will be a different OD than PVC of the same size.

/ Joining PVC to CPVC #14  
CPVC comes in both NPS and CTS sizes. CPVC in NPS (nominal pipe size) is the exact same as PVC. This is the most common sizing, however if you have CPVC in CTS (copper tube size) then it will be a different OD than PVC of the same size.
Yep the CTS plastic is out there and used a lot in manufactured homes where we know they only use the best of the best. I think Sharktooth has adapters for that crap.

/ Joining PVC to CPVC #16  
FWIW...for typical plumbing and other industries...the size cited for piping is the inside dia....be it copper, pvc etc., etc...

i.e., 1" PVC is 1" inside and so on...

/ Joining PVC to CPVC #17  
Yep the CTS plastic is out there and used a lot in manufactured homes where we know they only use the best of the best. I think Sharktooth has adapters for that crap.
Lasco and other PVC fitting manufacturers make a IPS X CTS coupling for this exact scenario. They call it IPS instead of NPS, but same thing. Sharkbite does as well of course but much more expensive.

Couplings are generally available at Home Depot and other similar stores.
Coupling

/ Joining PVC to CPVC #18  
As a retired pipefitter I can tell you without reservation that the OD's are the same which is why I suggested something is not correct.

Here is a pipe size schedule:

You can be wrong if you want to but residential grade pvc and cpvc are 100 percent not the same outside diameter.

/ Joining PVC to CPVC #19  
Can us post schedule like I did, would like to see it. Never heard of residential grade unless you are referring to CT size material.

/ Joining PVC to CPVC #20  
Here’s a 1/2” and 3/4” pvc and cpvc coupler. They’re not even close to the same.
IMG_0513.JPG