Just another UDT oil question.

/ Just another UDT oil question. #61  
Here's a dumb question: What's factory fill on new Kubotas?

I figure on the engine oil it's probably 10w-30 dino which, IMHO, is Fred Flintstone technology. As usual from our Japanese friends. (Factory Fill on New ISB Cummins is 5w-40 synthetic. It was Valvoline Extreme when I bought mine, I think it's T6 now)

I'd be curious to know what is in their hydraulics and their HST....

/ Just another UDT oil question. #62  
I disagree with the general term that filter people know more than the OEMs about filter people. In my case I can cite an instance where our labs developed an improved filter medium. Of course we work with our filter supplier to insure they can manufacture in volume what we develop. I can't tell you for sure if even the filter manufacturer could sell the same filter under their name. Fluids different case. In every case I can think of, new specialty oils were sold under our brand name with an equivalent fluid available from our supplier under their brand. I am certain smaller OEMs do not have the resources to do this (I started out with a one) but it is amazing what the largest can do. Engineers screw up, and an option often is to go to fluids group asking them if they can bail us out.

No doubt there are great engineers everywhere coming up with new technology. But didn't your engineers have better things to do??

Not saying there aren't smart engineers at Kubota. But they SERIOUSLY need to work on a LOT of things besides inventing a new and improved engine oil.

The could ask themselves why the L Series has the brake pedals on the same side as the TreadlePedal and how an operator is supposed to use both at the same time. Or they could look into why their HSTs whine so much. Or they could develop a better Mid MountMower, etc, etc ad nauseam

I like Kubota tractors, a lot, but if I ran the place and I found some of my engineers working on a new and improved oil formulation, I'd fire that whole department.

/ Just another UDT oil question. #63  
When my M59 needed filters and fluid changed went to buy them. Fall the dealer offers 10% discount on parts and labor for their slow season. Casually asked how much they could do the service? They can pick up and deliver, change oil and filters for what they can sell me the oil and filters for! Their cost for super UDT in bulk tote offsets the labor and transportation. Allows them to keep their employees busy. They also washed and greased the tractor. Win win.
That is a great deal if your Kubota dealer is nearby.
Mine is 75 miles away!

/ Just another UDT oil question. #64  
TSC may state their oil meets specs, but there is no governing or 3rd party that tests the oils against that spec.
Easy to make the claim, but taking your chances that the oil is up to the task.

Prolly a gamble that would never fail the customer, or your friend.

Compared to the total investment in the tractor, oil cost is very negligible.

/ Just another UDT oil question. #66  
Here's a dumb question: What's factory fill on new Kubotas?

I figure on the engine oil it's probably 10w-30 dino which, IMHO, is Fred Flintstone technology. As usual from our Japanese friends. (Factory Fill on New ISB Cummins is 5w-40 synthetic. It was Valvoline Extreme when I bought mine, I think it's T6 now)

I'd be curious to know what is in their hydraulics and their HST....
UDT or SUDT2 is the factory fill for hydraulics & the front axle. Factory spec is UDT, SUDT or gear lube. Hydraulic oil is less HP loss due to friction & using the same for the front axle & hydraulics means less fluids to stock for Kubota or the user. Lots switch to thicker gear oil if the front seals ever start leaking & that stops it.

Generally they (dealers & I think Kubota) recomend UDT for warm climates. SUDT2 for colder climates where you need the improved winter & freezing weather performance.

I'd imagine factory engine oil is Dino oil. It doesn't stay in long until the first oil change.

Not sure if it's an old wives tail or not, but you often hear a little less lubricity for Dino oil vs synthetic let's things seat in better on a new engine. Not sure if I believe that or not but it threads the line between beleavible or BS to me.

/ Just another UDT oil question. #67  
<snip>

Not sure if it's an old wives tail or not, but you often hear a little less lubricity for Dino oil vs synthetic let's things seat in better on a new engine. Not sure if I believe that or not but it threads the line between beleavible or BS to me.

I'd be more likely to believe it for a diesel than for a new car engine. The rings are seated in about 5 seconds but the camshaft is a different story altogether. Most new cars run roller cams in OHV. Overhead cam configurations vary but it's still not like the old days with flat tappet cams which really did need a break-in period. On a car, I wouldn't give 'break-in' a 2nd thought. In fact, a lot, (really a lot) of your premium cars come with synthetic as factory fill.

I'm only assuming that tractor diesels use flat tappet camshafts. So, when the first oil change comes around, I think I'd use a high quality synthetic for engine oil.

/ Just another UDT oil question.
Final question, I think. Dealer quote list 2 HST filters as HHTA0-59900 and HHTA0-37710 which visibly they look the same. I presume once I get them off should be easy which one goes where and maybe even have part number on old filters.

/ Just another UDT oil question. #69  
Usually, both filters are identical, one is high pressure intake flow and one is lower pressure final flow but both the same. One will usually (but not always) have a magnet ring or insert inside than needs to be cleaned.

/ Just another UDT oil question. #70  
Lots switch to thicker gear oil if the front seals ever start leaking & that stops it.
In my application it has nothing to do with it. I use 90 weight gear oil in the front axle because gear oil absorbs shock loads better than Kubota fluid does. Never had one leak either. One of my M's has 6000 meter hours on it and the axle is bone dry far as the seals go.