Knee injection.

/ Knee injection. #1  

John White

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030
I posted on here last year and had a lengthy discussion about steroid shots and knee surgery. Thank you all who responded but as of yet problem has not been resolved. The two doctors I have talked to said I would not be a candidate for knee surgery due to my age (79) with a prior blood clot in my leg and with a auto immune disease. They gave me the steroid shots which was a waste of time. They said I might loose my leg if they attempted it or die from a blood clot. Knee is getting worse and in a lot of pain. My immune disease is being treated by the Cleveland Clinic. They said on occasion they have done surgery on people with my condition. I would have to argue with my insurance provider because it is out of network. Now my question is, in a area near me they have been advertising a new method. It is a company called GKC . They supposedly x ray your knee and insert a needle in about 4 places and inject some kind of silicone or something. Rather expensive $4.000. They say Medicare will cover it and it will last about a year. This might buy me some time as Cleveland clinic is sort of not doing any surgeries with the Cornea virus. Has any one heard of this method or know if there are any problems about it. I can't find much information about it.

/ Knee injection. #3  
I am also at the end of the steroid injections being effective on my knee. I have tried the slippery stuff injected into my knee. May not be same as you are mentioning, didn't work. There is a way they can freeze the nerve ending in your knee. My insurance would not cover it, so i have not gotten it done. My surgeon actually suggested it.

/ Knee injection.
If they froze the nerve endings, would it affect the other nerves in your knee? How expensive is it? Too bad they can't come up with a way and just clean the joint out and inject something like a liquid nylon and it would harden like in a ball joint on a car, without surgery, or a teflon coating.

/ Knee injection. #5  
I was getting cortisone injections in my shoulder joints. Every three months and it wears off in two. So, one month in pain. Chinese virus comes along, doctor office closed, emergencies got to hospital where he is there go to surgeon. They cancelled my upcoming next visit. Asked whet to do with my pain. "Talk to your primary care for pain meds. After more discussion the PA suggested using Meloxicam, and sent to pharmacy 7.5mg twice a day with ok to go to 2 twice a day if needed. Hurrah! Two pills twice a day and I am pain free full time. Age and a heart condition makes surgery (only final solution) like the OP. Looks like Meloxicam the rest of my life, maybe. It is a blood thinner and been known to cause kidney problems. Other wise I have no side effects.

John, might be worthwhile to ask your doctor about my solution, see if it will work.

Ron

/ Knee injection. #6  
Did this for 5 years, deal with it and stop whining, OR get the replacements. I'm only in my 60's, wished I had done it in my 50"s. ****, you are already 3/4 dead, if you can afford it, why not try? Replace them.

/ Knee injection. #7  
Come on over the border to Michigan. I had the surgery for a torn meniscus (still pain). Now I'm bone on bone both knees. Lots of OTC pain meds (Aleve) did help for a while. Then tried CBD oil 3000 mg from a Florida provider on ebay. Good relief ! Just enough to pay hockey again (I'm over 70). Guys I play with say that an untreated bad knee causes a bad hip on the opposite side because of the way you shift weight due to pain.

Then Michigan legalized MJ. Skymint in Ann Arbor sells jars OTC with a few oz $20 per oz.) Corncob pipe. Lasts a month. Now I can jump into a hot tub (also recommended, water at 100 deg). Stepped onto the tractor yesterday using only the 'bad' leg as if it never had been a problem).

MI is getting millions of bucks per month now from the huge tax on it, but I'll be stuffing fence posts into the ground today and haying as soon as the ground dries. Pretty much gave it all up before any of this so its catch up time. Yes, it's political, but I'm now "Living my life alive, and I'll sleep when I'm dead". Hey, that's Bon Jovi ! ( Another benefit of it ). Memory has returned. I can remember where all my tools are ! The dogs are getting a 2x 1 mile walk every day. Screw the Man. A natural anti-inflammatory.

/ Knee injection. #8  
I get pain in both shoulders. I've learned to sleep on my back. The injections of "whatever" might last two months. I've modified my lifestyle enough that I can get by without operations, for now. Dr's tell me that shoulder operations are no guarantee. I'm 78.

/ Knee injection. #9  
I was getting cortisone injections in my shoulder joints. Every three months and it wears off in two. So, one month in pain. Chinese virus comes along, doctor office closed, emergencies got to hospital where he is there go to surgeon. They cancelled my upcoming next visit. Asked whet to do with my pain. "Talk to your primary care for pain meds. After more discussion the PA suggested using Meloxicam, and sent to pharmacy 7.5mg twice a day with ok to go to 2 twice a day if needed. Hurrah! Two pills twice a day and I am pain free full time. Age and a heart condition makes surgery (only final solution) like the OP. Looks like Meloxicam the rest of my life, maybe. It is a blood thinner and been known to cause kidney problems. Other wise I have no side effects.

John, might be worthwhile to ask your doctor about my solution, see if it will work.

Ron
risk of fatal heart attack, Google it..

/ Knee injection. #10  

Ron

Meloxicam works for me and my osteoarthritis, 7.5 MG once a day, keeps the pain to a tolerable level, I am allowed twice a day if needed, but I stick to the minimum. It indeed thins the blood, small cuts bleed a lot. I get blood drawn every 6 months to check liver and kidney function.