Leaks, leaks and more leaks.

/ Leaks, leaks and more leaks. #11  
That is certainly news to me, that couplers leak under no pressure. Things can go wrong with hydraulic hoses and fittings before it is realized in manufacturing.

Very common for couplers to leak under no pressure. There's nothing forcing the o-ring and flat washer to stop the fluid. How do you think all the oil residue gets around the connectors??

/ Leaks, leaks and more leaks.
dealer is not local but if i got to i will bring it to them. Im pretty sure its only leaking under pressure and where I saw it leaking was right around the gold ring or a little above it. I will see if its leaking with no pressure when i go check it tomorrow. I have no doubt in my mind they will fix it. Just rather do it myself and save myself a trip. But if a part has to be ordered maybe they can ship it to me. :) This is all new to me so I posted to see if others have had same issues.

/ Leaks, leaks and more leaks. #13  
Very common for couplers to leak under no pressure. There's nothing forcing the o-ring and flat washer to stop the fluid. How do you think all the oil residue gets around the connectors??

I disagree. There is a ball detent to seal the connectors when they are disconnected. Oil residue is from oil that flows when the detents release and the couplers couple.
Refer to double shut off in the following: The Basics of Quick Disconnects | www.beswick.com

dealer is not local but if i got to i will bring it to them. Im pretty sure its only leaking under pressure and where I saw it leaking was right around the gold ring or a little above it. I will see if its leaking when i go check it tomorrow. I have no doubt in my mind they will fix it. Just rather do it myself and save myself a trip. But if a part has to be ordered maybe they can ship it to me. :) This is all new to me so I posted to see if others have had same issues.

There should not be any leaking from the hoses or connectors, under pressure or not. Get your dealer to fix it or have them pay you to do it, and parts from them too. It's brand new, it needs to not leak period.
Post results of this back here.

/ Leaks, leaks and more leaks. #14  
I have found that doing hydraulic connections myself, with a good Teflon tape, provides a much better seal than the factory connections, which often use a compound.

I would unscrew the fittings, check the ends for damaged o-rings, replace if necessary, then re-thread the connections with a good quality Teflon tape.

/ Leaks, leaks and more leaks. #15  
I would say that few OEM hydraulic fittings are NPT and hence no teflon tape would be required as most have O Rings or compression type (JIC) fittings.

I have enough leaks at any given time. Thank God, none of my fittings leak under no pressure. Just lucky I guess.

/ Leaks, leaks and more leaks. #16  
I would say that few OEM hydraulic fittings are NPT and hence no teflon tape would be required as most have O Rings or compression type (JIC) fittings.

I have enough leaks at any given time. Thank God, none of my fittings leak under no pressure. Just lucky I guess.

The o-ring ones, I typically leave alone and replace o-ring's as needed. But many of the connections on my machines haven't been o-ring.

Additionally, I have seen some of the fittings (the male ends) fail, seemingly as the springs inside fatigue or break.

/ Leaks, leaks and more leaks. #17  
I have found that doing hydraulic connections myself, with a good Teflon tape, provides a much better seal than the factory connections, which often use a compound.

I would unscrew the fittings, check the ends for damaged o-rings, replace if necessary, then re-thread the connections with a good quality Teflon tape.

Teflon tape is a good sealer BUT must not be allowed to migrate into a hydro pump for any reason.
and, as stated below the tractor fittings are dry type, no need for tape or sealant of any kind.

See above link to hydraulic fittings, and double shut off. With the exception of leakage upon connection/ disconnection they will NOT leak when under or not under pressure.

/ Leaks, leaks and more leaks. #18  
WHY is teflon tape such a danger to a "hydrostat"? The only thing I can think of is that it might screw up the operation of a spring loaded ball valve.

/ Leaks, leaks and more leaks. #19  
Teflon tape pieces can get caught up in tiny orifices in the pump and cause problems. It's not that it's such a problem, but if strands from use and disconnection and reuse of a fitting that have it on the fitting get into the system it can be problematic. More a word of caution than a dire end of world type admonition.

/ Leaks, leaks and more leaks. #20  
Why has no one mentioned the obvious?

2 obvious items to be checked because it is happening by the quick disconnects:

1. The quick disconnects operate just like pneumatic quick connects. To connect pull female sleeve backward insert male plug and push female sleeve forward. So if you don't get male sleeve in all the way and female sleeve pushed all the way . . You have either a quick temporary dribble leak or a little dirt keeping it from seating fully . . . So you wipe out any little dirt and then make sure the female sleeve fully comes over rhe male end.

2. When you attach or detach the fel you leave connections on till fully completed. But at anytime during that process if you begin to pull the tractor away or allow fel arms to move too far away . . You put unsupported pressure against those connectors and bend or pull connectors.

Isn't either of these the most likely?

Incidentally . . Massey quick connects at the fel separation area are just normal quick connects that can be spun but these are not swivel connectors.

Last edited: