LEATHERMAN tools

/ LEATHERMAN tools #21  
I have a Leatherman which I picked up from a snowmobile trail... as I was going back to the truck to find something to use for opening a can of boundary paint. I bought a holder which also fit a mini Maglite and carried both for a while, but the tool was rather bulky. I also broke two of the screw drivers as they seem to be rather brittle.
About 3 years ago I bought a little Buck clip knife and started carrying that instead. It easily opens with one hand and I am lost without it. The Leatherman sits in the console of my pickup, and rarely gets used.

/ LEATHERMAN tools #22  
I was a ceramic tile contractor and I was always in the new tract homes on the closing day. I always carried a Leatherman with me. The supers on the job would call for me and my Leatherman to fix this and that. A/C, plumbing, electrical all got their final touch from the tile man and his Leatherman. Saved the supers backsides several times.

/ LEATHERMAN tools #23  
Differentstrokes for different folks

I've had a Wave from the beginning of time.Always have it on my person. quick fence work, screw driver, cut this cut that. combo pliers can't be beat when your tool box is far away.

/ LEATHERMAN tools #24  
I have a P4 Squirt...I probably use it more on my fingernails than anything although the pliers are great...

I use the awl for getting the crud from under my nails and I am always using the file to smooth off hang or ripped nails...got to take care of the lunch hooks...!

/ LEATHERMAN tools #25  
I have a Folding BUCK Knife: Hunter 110 - I love it, and use it several times daily. That frequency actually surprises me.

Though I have never previously considered this, I'm now thinking that a LEATHERMAN tool might be a nice addition to my daily pocket tools. I just have no idea what kind / model of Leathernan tool I should consider ... there are SO MANY options, it could be as difficult as buying your first tractor. :) What are the priority features on the leatherman tool, for general purpose while working around the property ?

Thoughts appreciated.
I like the pliers on the leatherman tool. Screwdrivers, knife, and saw blade. It is a handy tool when you’re doing chores outside or away from home and just have a minor use need for one of those tools. They’re also real handy for a fishing tackle box.

/ LEATHERMAN tools #26  
I got a Micra as a gift from my nephews years ago. Smaller than my key fob and fits nicely on key ring. It came in very handy. So much so that my son 'borrowed' it.

A couple of years ago my kids replaced it with a Squirt. Same size as the Micra, but you only need to open it for the pliers. Knife, file, scissors, screwdrivers and bottle opener. The Micra is centered around the scissors and has a tweezer. The Scissors on the Squirt will not cut much, but they still come in handy.

Once I am out on my property full-time, I will get a bigger one to carry. Best gifts I didn't know I needed.

/ LEATHERMAN tools #27  
I have a Leatherman and a mini-Leatherman, plus several other clones. But about 2001 my wife bought me a Swiss Army Cyber-tool M when she was at the factory in Switzerland. That has been my go-to always carry knife since. My leatherman still gets used, but only when I anticipate needing bigger bits or pliers.
The phillips and torx bits were used frequently in repairing computers in the field prior to retirement.
It's got:
  • FUNCTIONS: large blade, small blade, corkscrew, reamer/punch and sewing awl, can opener, screwdriver 3 mm, bottle opener, screwdriver 6 mm, wire stripper, bit case, bit wrench, female Hex drive 5 mm for D-SUB connectors, female Hex drive 4 mm for bits, key ring, toothpick, tweezers, mini screwdriver, pressurized ballpoint pen, stainless steel pin, pliers, wire cutter, wire crimping tool, scissors, multipurpose hook, bit slotted 4, bit Phillips 2, bit Phillips 0 (Pozidrive), bit Phillips 1 (Pozidrive), bit Torx 10, bit Torx 15, bit Hex 4, bit Torx 8
All in a small package. Not a tool for mending fences but great for anyone that has to get inside computers.

/ LEATHERMAN tools #28  
I have a leatherette tool made in China, forged in Pakistan, that I got with a bicycle at a yard sale. I keep it in my tackle box in case my Zebco 202 gives me grief.

/ LEATHERMAN tools #29  
I have some Leatherman, a Gerber and the Schrade with 21 functions: Schrade Tough Tool 21 Function Multi-Tool | Schrade
The Schrade is unique:

20220709_131320.jpg
20220709_131338.jpg
20220709_131433.jpg
20220709_131516.jpg

And the handles are comfortable and don't pinch my hand. (y)

Last edited:
   / LEATHERMAN tools #30  
I have a couple, and never use them. I carry a toolbox behind the driver's seat of my pickup, so where I am there are tools. I also have a house toolbox and of course there is the shop. They're like the Swiss Army knife - tries to do everything so doesn't do anything very well.

I'm in the same boat as Larry Caldwell. Have tried a few, & never found one I liked. The Needlenose are convenient, but I always found the handles uncomfortable. so ... a toolbox with dykes, needlenose & slip pliers a good pocket knife as well as a few different screw drivers & wrenches are always in my vehicles.