Left fuel cap off 5045E---now what?

/ Left fuel cap off 5045E---now what? #1  

fishrman

Silver Member
Guess I am human---maybe to human. Filled up the tractor today and then did some spot mowing of CRP. It was dusty off and on. After mowing for about 2 hours, I realized I forgot to screw the cap back on the fuel tank. I am guessing there was close to 5 gallons of diesel that spilled out. The back of the tractor is a mess as the dust and crp residue collected on the spilled fuel. The tractor is still running fine but am wondering what would be the wise thing to do at this point? Should I go ahead and burn most of the fuel before attempting to change the fuel filter or go ahead and change it now and then maybe again after I use the fuel up more? Thoughts!

/ Left fuel cap off 5045E---now what? #2  
Guess I am human---maybe to human. Filled up the tractor today and then did some spot mowing of CRP. It was dusty off and on. After mowing for about 2 hours, I realized I forgot to screw the cap back on the fuel tank. I am guessing there was close to 5 gallons of diesel that spilled out. The back of the tractor is a mess as the dust and crp residue collected on the spilled fuel. The tractor is still running fine but am wondering what would be the wise thing to do at this point? Should I go ahead and burn most of the fuel before attempting to change the fuel filter or go ahead and change it now and then maybe again after I use the fuel up more? Thoughts!
Run a tractor long enough and that is bound to happen, have done it myself a couple of times in over 20 years of tractoring. If it's still under warranty I would drain the fuel out into a clean container and inspect it. If dirty I would be very tempted to pull the tank and clean it well. Would be just my luck the injection pump would go out later and that would be a good reason for them to deny warranty coverage. If out of warranty I would still drain the fuel and inspect it.

/ Left fuel cap off 5045E---now what? #3  
I'd just put the cap on the tank and keep going. You can try rinsing the filter in fresh fuel or replacing it but I doubt very much dust entered the tank while you were mowing. That's a pretty small surface area for dust to settle.

/ Left fuel cap off 5045E---now what? #4  
I would personally run the fuel through in normal use, then replace the filter at some point in the near future.
More concerning would be the possibility of larger junk getting into the tank like insects, leaves, etc... Those could intermittently obstruct the tank outlet and cause aggravating issues down the road.

/ Left fuel cap off 5045E---now what?
Run a tractor long enough and that is bound to happen, have done it myself a couple of times in over 20 years of tractoring. If it's still under warranty I would drain the fuel out into a clean container and inspect it. If dirty I would be very tempted to pull the tank and clean it well. Would be just my luck the injection pump would go out later and that would be a good reason for them to deny warranty coverage. If out of warranty I would still drain the fuel and inspect it.
Not under warranty. When you say drain the fuel and inspect it, are you saying to try and inspect the tank?

I'd just put the cap on the tank and keep going. You can try rinsing the filter in fresh fuel or replacing it but I doubt very much dust entered the tank while you were mowing. That's a pretty small surface area for dust to settle.
Sure hope you are right! Thanks!

I would personally run the fuel through in normal use, then replace the filter at some point in the near future.
More concerning would be the possibility of larger junk getting into the tank like insects, leaves, etc... Those could intermittently obstruct the tank outlet and cause aggravating issues down the road.
Thanks! I guess at that point I would know why it isn't getting fuel! My stupidity!!

/ Left fuel cap off 5045E---now what? #8  
Not under warranty. When you say drain the fuel and inspect it, are you saying to try and inspect the tank?
Was meaning to inspect the fuel, but wouldn't hurt to look around in the tank although IIRC the tanks on those are rather wide and would be hard to see much without a borescope.

/ Left fuel cap off 5045E---now what? #9  
I used to be good for that 'trick' as well myself. I replaced a few fuel caps and then got smart. I drilled a small hole in the center of the cap and attached a light chain to it and secured the chain with a stainless hose clamp to the filler neck. Have not 'lost' a cap since. New caps aren't cheap either.

/ Left fuel cap off 5045E---now what? #10  
I'd agree with the above put the cap on and run the fuel through the system, have a couple of spare fuel filters on hand.
It wouldn't hurt if when it got quite low to pull a line off and drain the tank and if you have look with a bore-scope or a camera to see if any large debris is present, if not practical change the filters when it feels like a good time too.

Edited to add:
I did chase a fuel issue one time in my Oliver 1550 it had a large beetle that got in the tank, it would starve out of fuel and not reprime till I'd blow air back through the fuel line. I had looked in the tank with lights several times and couldn't see anything. That tank had a sediment bowl and a strainer that had an extended pickup tube that was a half inch above the bottom of the tank. I finally pulled that out one night on the road an the danged beetle was just stuck in the tube just the right size to get pulled into the tube and stop it but easy to blow back out.

Last edited: