Let's see some homemade 3 point ballast!

/ Let's see some homemade 3 point ballast! #121  
Thanks for the info and pics, now I know how to build mine, I just received my 3pt receiver hitch today.

Jim.

/ Let's see some homemade 3 point ballast! #122  
Man, is that ever bright.

Yes it is. I painted it with a can of Massey Furgeson Implement Red that I got at the local Fleet & Farm store here in town. I think it is a little brighter than the paint on my MF but it is close enough. The best part is that I won't misplace the tractor when I'm in the woods cutting firewood. ;)

/ Let's see some homemade 3 point ballast! #123  
Thanks Sodo for the low center of balance advice. The drawbar (see post 106) ended up being about 8" above the base of the form. My 3pt lowers to 6.5" on level ground so 8" allows me to set it down and disconnect. Maybe I'll stick with 1200 lbs, because going the 1500 will raise my center of balance.
Mechanicalguy, You and I are trying to decide on weight. I read your other discussion thread. The 5200 is a big tractor and you think 1100 lbs is enough? I should be okay with 1200.
I am taking my form to a concrete company - they will fill it get $20. The have a forklift so they will put the pallet back on my trailer.

I've taken the advice of this discussion thread to heed and have begun filling my barrel with scrap steel. I'll get the density of the lower portion of my barrel way up there to ensure the majority of the counterbalance is very low. I'll fill over that with concrete once I've got a good bit of scrap steel in the lower portion of the barrel. I still haven't decided on a weight yet, but I'm thinking several hundred pounds of steel in the lower portion is a good start.

/ Let's see some homemade 3 point ballast! #124  
Yes it is. I painted it with a can of Massey Furgeson Implement Red that I got at the local Fleet & Farm store here in town. I think it is a little brighter than the paint on my MF but it is close enough. The best part is that I won't misplace the tractor when I'm in the woods cutting firewood. ;)

You may need to wear sunglasses to scan the woods for that... :)

/ Let's see some homemade 3 point ballast! #125  
I have had a few hours of tractor time with my new 1300lb ballast/counterweight and it is a good weight. I would not want much lighter. I love how the tractor squats a bit when I raise the ballast.

I have a sloped property and the weight gives me good traction driving up the hill. I finished pulling up the root ball of an uprooted cedar tree and moved it. That was my first prying with my forks and the rear end got light. Once it was free and I shook dirt off I felt safer to move. As I traversed some slope I made sure it was very close to the ground. I can see where 1500lbs plus would not be a bad weight for a 50hp tractor.
I am closing in on 40hours of tractor time since I purchased the tractor and am starting to get a feel of how it reacts. The ballast is a huge improvement. I am still a newbie and will always treat it like I treat my Chainsaw!

Peter

/ Let's see some homemade 3 point ballast! #126  
Well fellas , it aint purty down in there. More later HPIM2385.JPG
Sorry about the sideways pics , aint posted pics in a long time.

HPIM2384.JPG

Attachments

• HPIM2386.JPG
    HPIM2386.JPG
    716.3 KB · Views: 274
   / Let's see some homemade 3 point ballast! #127  
The pics come out fine when you open them. I don't know why some seem sideways in the thumbnails, but it doesn't matter.

/ Let's see some homemade 3 point ballast! #128  
Well fellas , it aint purty down in there. More later
Sorry about the sideways pics , aint posted pics in a long time.
If you have not poured the concrete may I suggest an addition. I placed two 1x4x16" boards in the bottom under the tubes. After the pour I removed the 1x4s and replaced them with 2x4s that act as feet to reduce damage to my garage floor. I drilled smaller drain holes through the 2x4s into the tube caps. Just an idea.

/ Let's see some homemade 3 point ballast! #129  
If you ever think you might need it, put a 2 inch hitch receiver in there in the back too. I use mine once in a while and I am glad I did. I use it for a sprayer, but you can put anything in it including a hitch ball. to quickly move a trailer or whatever you mind can think up.

/ Let's see some homemade 3 point ballast! #130  
The pics come out fine when you open them. I don't know why some seem sideways in the thumbnails, but it doesn't matter.

Pictures taken with I-Phones don't always orient correctly, something APPLE has never really fixed.... Best solution before upload is to load pic into good graphics editor on real PC do any fixing and then save, then upload....

Some times the most modern technology is not your friend...

Dale