Lets talk cargo trailers

/ Lets talk cargo trailers #1  

WoodChuckDad

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti RX7320 Power Shuttle Cab, Komatsu PC130-6
I am in the market for a cargo trailer. I am thinking that a 16 footer would be just about perfect. I could make do with a 12 footer but I don’t want to do a single axle mostly because I think resale value on a double axle would be higher. Also I don’t like the idea of having something loaded up and going anywhere with it with just one action on it because of the tastrophe they do happen if you blow up the tires. I have been looking at new and I have been looking at used I’m cheap so I’d like to get a used one but I can’t seem to find too many that are decently priced. I came across an 18 footer for $4000 it was a 2006. I can’t see spending $4000 on a 13-year-old trailer. I know it doesn’t have a motor to wear down but it does have axles and they do seem to take a beating. I called the local big Tex trailers World and they have one16 footer 4695 new that’s about the best price I’ve seen I know there’s taxes taxes so I’d probably be $5000.I plan to use it for tool storage during my home build and I imagine I will probably sell it when I am done. I am interested in hearing everyone’s thoughts.

/ Lets talk cargo trailers #2  
I am in the market for a cargo trailer. I am thinking that a 16 footer would be just about perfect. I could make do with a 12 footer but I don’t want to do a single axle mostly because I think resale value on a double axle would be higher. Also I don’t like the idea of having something loaded up and going anywhere with it with just one action on it because of the tastrophe they do happen if you blow up the tires. I have been looking at new and I have been looking at used I’m cheap so I’d like to get a used one but I can’t seem to find too many that are decently priced. I came across an 18 footer for $4000 it was a 2006. I can’t see spending $4000 on a 13-year-old trailer. I know it doesn’t have a motor to wear down but it does have axles and they do seem to take a beating. I called the local big Tex trailers World and they have one16 footer 4695 new that’s about the best price I’ve seen I know there’s taxes taxes so I’d probably be $5000.I plan to use it for tool storage during my home build and I imagine I will probably sell it when I am done. I am interested in hearing everyone’s thoughts.
Well if you are going to use it for Tool Storage during your house build and then sell it why not a single axle 12ft if that will work around here they all hold their value used ones are not much cheaper than new!!

/ Lets talk cargo trailers #3  
I had a similar thought years ago and after looking around, I was really close to buying a horse trailer instead. I figured it would come in handy once the house and barn was built. But then I decided on a sea container and I still need to buy a horse trailer one of these days.

/ Lets talk cargo trailers #4  
I am in the market for a cargo trailer. I am thinking that a 16 footer would be just about perfect. I could make do with a 12 footer but I don稚 want to do a single axle mostly because I think resale value on a double axle would be higher. Also I don稚 like the idea of having something loaded up and going anywhere with it with just one action on it because of the tastrophe they do happen if you blow up the tires. I have been looking at new and I have been looking at used I知 cheap so I壇 like to get a used one but I can稚 seem to find too many that are decently priced. I came across an 18 footer for $4000 it was a 2006. I can稚 see spending $4000 on a 13-year-old trailer. I know it doesn稚 have a motor to wear down but it does have axles and they do seem to take a beating. I called the local big Tex trailers World and they have one16 footer 4695 new that痴 about the best price I致e seen I know there痴 taxes taxes so I壇 probably be $5000.I plan to use it for tool storage during my home build and I imagine I will probably sell it when I am done. I am interested in hearing everyone痴 thoughts.

Interesting:

$4700+ tax = $4950 with Va. tax......and it has the cheaper spring type axles I am sure.

I have a 2010 16' Haulmark DLX tandem axle cargo trailer currently listed for sale on E-Bay.

7000 GVW, with electric brakes on both axles.
The axles are the more expensive (+$600) torsion type, which give a much softer/better ride than spring type axles.
15" wheels and tires. Has V-nose, rear barn doors, and fwd. right side door. Trailer has only 1000 miles use.
Always stored up on blocks, and inside my barn.
New condition (white-I just waxed it). No dents or scratches.

Haulmark price for same trailer new, is $6871 + tax
My trailer is listed on E-Bay for $3900......no tax.

Unfortunately, you are apparently 600 miles away.

Last edited:
   / Lets talk cargo trailers #5  
Not much of a market for the bigger dual axle trailers around here. They are hard to maneuver in tight spots. Your resale will probably be higher with a ramp door if you have any ATV/UTV trails around. I bought a Haulmark 14' "v-Nose" "swing door" years ago and nobody wants it.

/ Lets talk cargo trailers #6  
I too bought a trailer that I used while I built my last house. I still have it and use it for tool and equipment storage. It ended up being cheaper and far better to order something from the south east. It seems to be where a lot of trailers are made. This company was easy to deal with and very low key. I sent my brother to pick it up. I paid him $2000 for fuel (my truck) and his time. We both felt like it was a good deal. Even with that cost I saved over Big Tex and other similar.

Mine, vs yours, is longer and my build had a few adds and deletes. Add 1 piece roof and delete skylight/vents- I wanted on possibly of a roof leak. Add side wall vents- high left front/low right back for some cross flow. I also upgraded axles so the lug pattern matched my truck. Plus heavy duty axles allows for more carrying capacity.

If you get a nice enough one you can travel to save on materials. Maybe lumber or windows from a state with no sales tax or cabinets from another area etc. I saved enough by having my buddy make the cabinets to pay for the trailer. But I had to travel a bit to get them.

Home - Cargo Trailers, Enclosed Trailers, Concession Trailers by Colony Cargo

/ Lets talk cargo trailers #7  
I have a 2005 Continental 20 ' cargo car hauler which has been an excellent unit . I also have a 2018 Ariseing 14x7 which seems ok so far time will tell .

I would not buy a horse trailer unless it was aluminum and had torsion axles but thats just me .

/ Lets talk cargo trailers #8  
HAULMARK..

/ Lets talk cargo trailers #9  
Interesting:

$4700+ tax = $4950 ...and the cheaper spring type axles I am sure.

I have a 2010 16' Haulmark DLX tandem axle cargo trailer currently listed for sale on E-Bay.

7000 GVW, with electric brakes on both axles.
The axles are the torsion type which give a much softer/better ride than spring type axles.
15" wheels and tires.Trailer has only 1500 miles use.
Always stored up on blocks, and inside my barn.
New condition (white-I just waxed it). No dents or scratches.

$3900......no tax.

Unfortunately, you are apparently 600 miles away.
Fried went on Haulmarks website they list ALX but not DLX.Any difference?

/ Lets talk cargo trailers #10  
Fried went on Haulmarks website they list ALX but not DLX.Any difference?

I really do not know.
I assume that DLX may mean "deluxe"