Lets talk cargo trailers

/ Lets talk cargo trailers
I appreciate all the input. I won't say I am in a terrible hurry, but if I had a deal like Fried's available to me around here, I wouldn't be having this discussion, I'd be asking about trailer organization

I had a similar thought years ago and after looking around, I was really close to buying a horse trailer instead. I figured it would come in handy once the house and barn was built. But then I decided on a sea container and I still need to buy a horse trailer one of these days.
I had a shipping container at our last house. It was quite useful but it was older and had some rust spots that I had spray painted to prevent further rust. My wife hated it. the doors were also hard to open and my wife always had a time with it. If I had a spot all picked out and prepped here, a shipping container and a carport or some sort of overhang would be a great storage solution for us, but I don't think it would work for me right now since I need something more mobile. And if I do get another shipping container, I am going to have to physically check it out first to make sure the doors are easy to open, and it looks good enough to pass SWAMBO's standards.

/ Lets talk cargo trailers #14  
I appreciate all the input. I won't say I am in a terrible hurry, but if I had a deal like Fried's available to me around here, I wouldn't be having this discussion, I'd be asking about trailer organization

I think they are all essentially the same regardless of brand. A lot of them come from that I80 corridor in Indiana and you might find a few different brands being made in the same factory. If I had to do it over I'd go with a 12' single axle (easier to move around) ramp door (easier to get stuff in and out).

After considering all the information that was shared here, I pulled the trigger this morning on a 7x16. V-nose from Leonards. Manufactured by Arising Industries. It will do the trick and with some rearranging of things we are going clear out a storage unit that we are currently paying $290 a month for (mostly tools I need for the farm and some stuff that is for the build. Will probably keep it 1-2 years for tool storage until the house and barn are built and then sell it. i think I will actually come out ahead and I will have my tools handy. I had them put an additional hasp bar on the side door since it only had an RV style lock. I bought four masterlock Magnum locks for it for all three door locks and the tow hasp And I am going to call my insurance guy Monday and adjust my policy so that all the tools and the trailer don’t wipe me out if some dirtbag breaks in and steals me blind. My bride is delighted. I told her to organize me and she has been busy putting shelves together for the trailer and pulling tools out of the basement to go in there to make room, for the last 4 hours.

After considering all the information that was shared here, I pulled the trigger this morning on a 7x16. V-nose from Leonards. Manufactured by Arising Industries. It will do the trick and with some rearranging of things we are going clear out a storage unit that we are currently paying $290 a month for (mostly tools I need for the build. Will probably keep it 1-2 years for tool storage until the house and barn are built and then sell it. i think I will actually come out ahead and I will have my tools handy. I had them put an additional hasp bar on the side door since it only had an RV style lock. I bought four masterlock Magnum locks for it for all three door locks and the tow hasp And I am going to call my insurance guy Monday and adjust my policy so that all the tools and the trailer don’t wipe me out if some dirtbag breaks in and steals me blind. My bride is delighted. I told her to organize me and she has been busy putting shelves together for the trailer and pulling tools out of the basement to go in there to make room, for the last 4 hours.

IMG_3489.JPG

/ Lets talk cargo trailers #17  
Nice trailer, but realize that you will never sell it. A trailer is just too handy to have around. Your pickup, and the next couple pickups, will be long in the junkyard and the trailer will still be in great shape.

Running gear failures on a trailer are user error.

You HAVE to keep tandem tires equally inflated. Never let one go flat. At best it would ruin the tire, at worst the trailer will catch on fire.

Other than that, pack the bearings every 5 years/50,000 miles. All it costs is new seals and a tub of axle grease. Wash the bearings and hub, work the grease into the bearing until there is no air in there, put it back together with new seals, and it will run forever. I have a utility trailer I inherited from my dad, and know it's at least 70 years old. It's too handy to ever think if selling it.

/ Lets talk cargo trailers #18  
Hey WoodChuckDad congrats I have an Ariseing 14x7 v nose . Bought it in Ocala , Fla . The only thing i have ever had to do to it was replaced the cwappy plastic roof vent they put on em because of extreme Fla sun . Used this : https://www.amazon.com/Ventline-BV0...ler+roof+vent&qid=1564870713&s=gateway&sr=8-6

Problem solved , they say there aluminum but actually there galvanized steel ......................

Hey WoodChuckDad congrats I have an Ariseing 14x7 v nose . Bought it in Ocala , Fla . The only thing i have ever had to do to it was replaced the cwappy plastic roof vent they put on em because of extreme Fla sun . Used this : https://www.amazon.com/Ventline-BV0...ler+roof+vent&qid=1564870713&s=gateway&sr=8-6

Problem solved , they say there aluminum but actually there galvanized steel ......................

Mine didn’t come with a vent and I was glad. One less thing to worry with. If I decide I need one, Ill probably install something on the side like the old pop out kitchen fans. The only regret I have is that When I sold my camper I sent the solar charger and the golf cart batteries with it. This gives me an opportunity for a 2.0 version with some improvements if I decide to do that.
My wife already asked if there was a way for me to wire in electrical plugs on the inside that can be run from the Generator.

Nice trailer, but realize that you will never sell it. A trailer is just too handy to have around. Your pickup, and the next couple pickups, will be long in the junkyard and the trailer will still be in great shape.

Running gear failures on a trailer are user error.

You HAVE to keep tandem tires equally inflated. Never let one go flat. At best it would ruin the tire, at worst the trailer will catch on fire.

Other than that, pack the bearings every 5 years/50,000 miles. All it costs is new seals and a tub of axle grease. Wash the bearings and hub, work the grease into the bearing until there is no air in there, put it back together with new seals, and it will run forever. I have a utility trailer I inherited from my dad, and know it's at least 70 years old. It's too handy to ever think if selling it.

Larry Caldwell, if that is true then I will be even happier about my purchase.