Let's talk driveway material. Just under 1/2 mile long.

/ Let's talk driveway material. Just under 1/2 mile long. #31  
We used 8 inch of slag.Been here 28 years and its held up very well.

Attachments

• DSCN0002.JPG
    DSCN0002.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 103
   / Let's talk driveway material. Just under 1/2 mile long.
Bumping this back up here as I want to pull the trigger on this by Fall. I'm planning to do the first 900' from my house along with my parking area by the garage. I was quoted $7600 for 276 tons of 2A, spreader truck application, rolled, along with Geotextile. While pricey, I think it's fair. This is for 6" of stone, btw. Anything you would recommend doing differently?

/ Let's talk driveway material. Just under 1/2 mile long. #33  
In my experience, price is extremely local, so I can't comment. If you are doing 6", I would ask that it be done in two 3" lifts. On a new road, I think that geotextile is a must and a good investment.

All the best,

Peter

/ Let's talk driveway material. Just under 1/2 mile long. #34  
I get 3/4 dense grade road base, Might be the same as crusher run
Yup.......that is also often called 3/4 minus.
Great material, and packs like concrete.

/ Let's talk driveway material. Just under 1/2 mile long. #35  
Question for those using crusher run on top as it seems to pack well. However, it has all the fines that get dragged into the shop and make a mess. Can you put a washed, crushed 3/4" decorative stone over the crusher run? or is that not the right thing to do?

/ Let's talk driveway material. Just under 1/2 mile long. #36  
Bumping this back up here as I want to pull the trigger on this by Fall. I'm planning to do the first 900' from my house along with my parking area by the garage. I was quoted $7600 for 276 tons of 2A, spreader truck application, rolled, along with Geotextile. While pricey, I think it's fair. This is for 6" of stone, btw. Anything you would recommend doing differently?
Do you have an asphalt plant within 20 miles?
That's a pretty gravy job for a paving outfit as far as the actual paving part. Once your grading is corrected, 900' can be laid down in a few hours and a 19mm "base" material would be fine for the lane portion. 900' X 11' @ 4" should be about 231 tons +/- and I'd seek out a larger road type (not a driveway gypsy) contractor* for an alternate line of thinking and comparison.

* the driveway guys won't have a heavy enough roller for proper compaction of 19mm base, and proper compaction is essential.

/ Let's talk driveway material. Just under 1/2 mile long. #37  
Pack it with a vibrating roller. You may want speed bumps, or people will come flying down your driveway at 40 mph.

/ Let's talk driveway material. Just under 1/2 mile long. #38  
As you can see everybody has different solutions based upon their location and what is available. Find out what others are doing in your specific area and make your decision based upon that.

My driveway is a mile long. Large basaltic lava crushed rock for its base. Like what is used for railroad work. Then two courses of pit run gravel. The pit run gravel plus the wind blown silt and volcanic ash has made a driving surface just like concrete.

/ Let's talk driveway material. Just under 1/2 mile long. #39  
Pack it with a vibrating roller. You may want speed bumps, or people will come flying down your driveway at 40 mph.
That's my wife you're talking about :)

/ Let's talk driveway material. Just under 1/2 mile long.
Do you have an asphalt plant within 20 miles?
That's a pretty gravy job for a paving outfit as far as the actual paving part. Once your grading is corrected, 900' can be laid down in a few hours and a 19mm "base" material would be fine for the lane portion. 900' X 11' @ 4" should be about 231 tons +/- and I'd seek out a larger road type (not a driveway gypsy) contractor* for an alternate line of thinking and comparison.

* the driveway guys won't have a heavy enough roller for proper compaction of 19mm base, and proper compaction is essential.

I would be looking at around $20K-$30K to have that section paved in our area. Obviously that would be my first choice, but not in the budget.

Asphalt millings are hard to come by locally as well. I think the word is out on them and supply is limited.