Flail Mower Let's talk flail mowers

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,021  
Regarding this whole thread and buying a Flail. Question, there is a Titan Implements company in Tn. that makes GRAY implements reportedly in the US. Then there is a Titan that makes red attachments from China. Are these two different companies of different origin? I like what I see of the Gray Flail Mower from Tn. As a newby I have read most of it. My PTO HP is around 56, Eng 67. Any comments please.

Last edited:
   / Let's talk flail mowers #7,022  
We sell the gray ones built in India for Titan out of TN. If you happen to be in Northern California, I have a dozen or so of those flails in stock. Heavier duty by far than most of what is commonly imported from China. These specs out closer, and look more like, some of the European commercial-grade flails.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,023  
Caution, "manufactured in the US" seems to be applied to "engineered" or "assembled" in the US. Heavy steel commands a hefty shipping cost in which case such US manufactured (in the real sense of the word) items can be fairly competitive with products manufactured overseas (Europe, Britain, India or South Korea, as well as China).

I went with a Nova Tractor MXZ after doing a ton of research. It'll push my NX5510's abilities a bit (they say min HP of 60, my NX is 55), but I wanted a seven-footer that was stout (and could handle some good bit of wood debris). I thought the equiv Titan was pretty good, but just not as good as the MXZ (for my requirements).

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,024  
Caution, "manufactured in the US" seems to be applied to "engineered" or "assembled" in the US. Heavy steel commands a hefty shipping cost in which case such US manufactured (in the real sense of the word) items can be fairly competitive with products manufactured overseas (Europe, Britain, India or South Korea, as well as China).

I went with a Nova Tractor MXZ after doing a ton of research. It'll push my NX5510's abilities a bit (they say min HP of 60, my NX is 55), but I wanted a seven-footer that was stout (and could handle some good bit of wood debris). I thought the equiv Titan was pretty good, but just not as good as the MXZ (for my requirements).

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,025  
DB you make a good point about steel, and the quote "engineered" Etc. Thanks for your reply including your choice. I may be over thinking because I don't mow fields, more like areas needing fire breaks in CA., and for friends where I can assist doing the same. But I am tired of repairing old stuff.
MXZ looks doable, and hopefully lasting, but it is China made. Decisions, decisions, and dollars. Thanks for yours and Daves response.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,026  
You should also look at the Vrisimo Flail Mowers that are built and welded together in California while you are shopping for flail mowers.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,027  
Leonz, I did get a quote of 10k for their 72" Minimax, which is way more money than the others, but they are very good mowers here in the orchards.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,028  
Hello Rockit350,

There are a large number of American made flail mowers that
you could look at and a lot of good used ones.

One option would be to look for a John Deere 25A 7 foot flail
mower which is the model 290 now.

AuctionTime, tractorhouse, ironplanet are a few auction rags you
could check on as well as the Lancaster Farmer.

If you have time you should look at the HINIKER six foot shredder/mower as well.
The Hiniker 6 foot shredder is a towed flail mower equipped with a parking stand
and it can be equipped with either a ratchet jack height adjuster or a hydraulic
cylinder for height height adjustment to mow down to 2 inches in height.
The 6 foot shredder mowers towing hitch and constant velocity universal joint allows
for very tight turns at the end of a mowing row to quickly begin mowing again without
backing up.

Attachments

• Image7-5710-flail-mower.png
    Image7-5710-flail-mower.png
    83.1 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
   / Let's talk flail mowers #7,029  
Hello Rockit350,

There are a large number of American made flail mowers that
you could look at and a lot of good used ones.

One option would be to look for a John Deere 25A 7 foot flail
mower which is the model 290 now.

AuctionTime, tractorhouse, ironplanet are a few auction rags you
could check on as well as the Lancaster Farmer.

If you have time you should look at the HINIKER six foot shredder/mower as well.
The Hiniker 6 foot shredder is a towed flail mower equipped with a parking stand
and it can be equipped with either a ratchet jack height adjuster or a hydraulic
cylinder for height height adjustment to mow down to 2 inches in height.
The 6 foot shredder mowers towing hitch and constant velocity universal joint allows
for very tight turns at the end of a mowing row to quickly begin mowing again without
backing up.

John Deere still makes the 25A. I don't know of a John Deere 290. Did you mean 390? (also 360 and 370 available)

You can also find decent used Ford 917 (although parts are not as readily available aftermarket), or a good used Alamo (parts very readily available aftermarket). Of the two I would recommend the Alamo just for the parts availability. I've had a Ford 917 and now have an Alamo. Only reason I sold the Ford is because I went up in tractor size and needed a bigger mower.

I also hear good things about the Woodmaxx flail mowers. Worth a look, and price is reasonable. Had I not found my used Alamo I likely would have bought a Woodmaxx.

And the Hiniker is more of a field shredder for use in corn fields or the like to wipe out stalks prior to tilling or no-till planting. It can be used as a mower, but it's design is more geared toward agricultural use. Tow behind is not ideal for most people here as it adds an extra element to the whole operation having a trailer behind. Backing up and turning tight are not as easy as with a 3 point mower.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,030  

DB, I want to hear how that unit has worked for you in cutting and mowing on your site. There is a big difference in costs on those two different units.
I am thinking that the Titan is 50% more than the Nova, which is hard to compare.