Flail Mower Let's talk flail mowers

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,211  
Alamo says this:
7. SETTING THE MOWER
After the mower is attached to the tractor’s 3-point hitch, but before the universal slip joint is installed, and with the mower on the ground, adjust the top link of the hitch to make the mower gearbox input shaft parallel to the tractor PTO shaft.

This relationship provides optimum operation of the universal joints in the driveline.

A driveline that is not parallel to the PTO will result in vibration due to the characteristic of a universal joint that results in the output end speeding up and slowing down twice each revolution of the universal jointed shaft.

Adjust the top link whenever the cutting height is changed.

Properly setting the cutting height is essential for efficient and safe operation. A properly set mower will make a more uniform cut, distribute clippings more evenly, require minimal tractor work, and follow the contour of uneven terrain.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,212  
I picked up a used Bush Hog FH188 flail. Upon getting it greased and oil changed I started it up and noticed some “clanging” in the mower. I ran it for a few passes and then looked under it, I noticed that it looks like the blades are hitting the deck right at the front edge in an even pattern all the way across. The rotor looks straight but I have not tried your string trick.

I’m guessing it could be the wrong blades were installed at some point? They are scoop type, but don’t look exactly like the ones for this model. When I pull one of the blades outward from the rotor to the deck housing it may have enough clearance to slide a business card between the blade and housing.

Any ideas?

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,213  
I picked up a used Bush Hog FH188 flail. Upon getting it greased and oil changed I started it up and noticed some “clanging” in the mower. I ran it for a few passes and then looked under it, I noticed that it looks like the blades are hitting the deck right at the front edge in an even pattern all the way across. The rotor looks straight but I have not tried your string trick.

I’m guessing it could be the wrong blades were installed at some point? They are scoop type, but don’t look exactly like the ones for this model. When I pull one of the blades outward from the rotor to the deck housing it may have enough clearance to slide a business card between the blade and housing.

Any ideas?

You can see the rear of my $100 Ford 917. I was getting knife strikes on the back & torched out the bent bits. Welded some patches over the holes.

Previous owner removed knives, presumably due to hitting the hood. At first I thought it was some previous patches welded inside, but it turned out to be a tweaked hood. Lasted for a few years then got retired. Under $500 in it total with repairs for 4ish years of light commercial usage. Was a decent deal. Still ran fine last time I parked it.
IMG_20150613_203411.jpg

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,214  
You can see the rear of my $100 Ford 917. I was getting knife strikes on the back & torched out the bent bits. Welded some patches over the holes.

Previous owner removed knives, presumably due to hitting the hood. At first I thought it was some previous patches welded inside, but it turned out to be a tweaked hood. Lasted for a few years then got retired. Under $500 in it total with repairs for 4ish years of light commercial usage. Was a decent deal. Still ran fine last time I parked it.View attachment 704564
What model of Everlast welder is that? Nice workshop.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,215  
Miller Maxtar 200 stick/tig machine not seen. Everlast PowerPlasma 60s plasma cutter. I don't use the plasma as much as I expected, but it's worked good when I needed it, like for torching off the bent bits of the flail hood. I wouldn't hesitate to get another Everlast machine & keep thinking about them for a MIG welder.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,216  
I can't stand it any longer. I just got to get me one of these damn FLAIL mowers. I live in north central Louisiana and we have no dealers in my part of the woods. I have been looking at a CARONI brand mower 73" for about $ 2600.00

Do any of you guys have any info on this brand. this REDNECK COONASS needs some help. My tractor is 65 HP.
Thanks for info,
Allen

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,217  
I can't stand it any longer. I just got to get me one of these damn FLAIL mowers. I live in north central Louisiana and we have no dealers in my part of the woods. I have been looking at a CARONI brand mower 73" for about $ 2600.00

Do any of you guys have any info on this brand. this REDNECK COONASS needs some help. My tractor is 65 HP.
Thanks for info,
Allen
I looked for a year and decided to go used instead of new, since my property in n Texas is nowhere close to flat (didn’t want to spend a fortune and have to get rid of it if it scalped, etc). Check FB marketplace and Craigslist - I could never find anything here but found several nice looking used machines in Miss and La. Spend a grand or so, assume you need to add $200 for new knives/hammers etc and learn at half price. If you like it you can keep it or resell and then buy new once you know more of what you are looking for.

I had settled on a woodmaxx or del Morino machine if I was going to buy new but would have really considered the caroni.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,219  
With 65HP you can handle a much larger flail at least 8’.
I agree, with 65 hp you really are limiting yourself with a 6' flail. I run a 9' Dandl behind my 70 hp deutz. Unless I am in 4' tall thick green grass, I don't even notice it. I am also pretty sure my D7007 doesn't have 70hp anymore, either.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,220  
Miller Maxtar 200 stick/tig machine not seen. Everlast PowerPlasma 60s plasma cutter. I don't use the plasma as much as I expected, but it's worked good when I needed it, like for torching off the bent bits of the flail hood. I wouldn't hesitate to get another Everlast machine & keep thinking about them for a MIG welder.
Saw the color and assumed it was a welder. I have had my 200st for a few years now, and it impresses me everytime I use it. Just used it today welding on new cat2 ball ends (I guess that is what they are called) on my 3point lift arms.