Flail Mower Let's talk flail mowers

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,261  
I am glad we cleared that up. You can adjust the rear roller with the mower in the vertical position
too so just be careful releasing the bolts and slide it slowly outward to the point where you want to
set it making sure you follow the manuals instructions.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,262  
Yes bad terminology. I mean I needed to raise the cutting height
I'm no flail expert, but from my limited exposure it seems that flails do best on grass when set to low mowing heights (rear roller set up higher): better vacuum in which grass gets lifted up and cut. Doesn't seem to matter much for brush. And it's more so in brush that you want to be up a bit more because such ground is likely less developed and therefore more hidden dangers right above surface level.

Nice setup!

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,263  
I set my roller in the upper holes making the mower low in the back then raise the front with the 3pt or top link to adjust mowing height.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,264  
I set my roller in the upper holes making the mower low in the back then raise the front with the 3pt or top link to adjust mowing height.
And you're adjusting such that the skids are level, right? ;)

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,265  
My 2 cents involves actual ditch bank cutting. I have cut ditches for years with a 5 foot Hardee ditch bank mower. One of the easiest things to do tjhat happens in the blink of an eye is to hook a root or unlevel spoy in the bottom of a ditch and have it pull the tractor in the ditch. Just be aware of it before you start dropping the cutter down in the ditch. Also, I cut ditches pretty slow. On my JD I'm in A range probably second or 3rd gear max. They are an awkward anbd heavy fulcrum.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,266  
And you're adjusting such that the skids are level, right? ;)

Actually I like the skids up jut a bit in the front. These helps keep it from digging into the ground on turns. I mow in a circle when possible.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,267  
My 2 cents involves actual ditch bank cutting. I have cut ditches for years with a 5 foot Hardee ditch bank mower. One of the easiest things to do tjhat happens in the blink of an eye is to hook a root or unlevel spoy in the bottom of a ditch and have it pull the tractor in the ditch. Just be aware of it before you start dropping the cutter down in the ditch. Also, I cut ditches pretty slow. On my JD I'm in A range probably second or 3rd gear max. They are an awkward anbd heavy fulcrum.

This and it is more of a chance to happen without float on the rotational cylinder. With float I find it will ride over stuff better but pay attention and go slow.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,268  
Flails, by design, like to suck things up. I wedged an 8" dia chunk of buried cedar root such that I had to use a drill to dislodge it: hammers really get a good bite on stuff! Couldn't imagine that sense combined with a tipping tractor! :eek:

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,269  
218467126_10158200225155983_2107988198508781267_n.jpg
218628068_10158200225215983_6180725154748611937_n.jpg

I got a 68'' Flail mower from Titan Attachments, love this thing.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,270  
Man……….really want a flail mower for my L2501!!

about 8 acres split between 2 fields and the “yard”.

Which flail mower for a cheapskate?

my rotary cutter does ok……..would like one mower to do everything if that’s possible.