Flail Mower Let's talk flail mowers

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,371  
What's your opinion of the cut quality?

Considering that I've never replaced any of the knives aside from what was damaged or missing when I got it, nor have I ever sharpened any of them- I'd say the cut quality is pretty dang good. In dry conditions at the lowest cutting height it'll take my overgrown field (seen in pics above) and make it look like I mow it weekly in just one pass. The cut quality is orders of magnitude better than a brush hog/rotary style cutter. If I hold the back guard up in wet brush it'll blow the clippings out in a smoother fashion than if it's super wet.

The key is to make sure the flail is set up right, don't let it nose dive into the ground. It takes a few minutes of careful adjustment on the threaded top link to get it to sit just right, but once set, it's great.

If I run over a small tree, something woody about 2-3" diameter at the base, it'll just shred all the small branches and leaves off of it and leave the main trunk mostly untouched. A hammer flail would likely mulch that up. But as I said, I paid $300 for this thing, it came with a coffee can of extra knives (which I had to replace six or seven of...) and top off the gear oil. I've been running it for about six years.

The plus side of the duckfoot/scoop knives is that they leave a flat cut like a lawnmower blade does. It looks more "finished" even though there are only 36 knife stations. If my zero turn dies I can use the flail to knock my yard down while I wait on parts, it still looks really good after I'm done.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,372  
If my zero turn dies I can use the flail to knock my yard down while I wait on parts, it still looks really good after I'm done.
Thanks for your detailed reply. That is what I have always been curious about, is the cut quality as good as a top notch zero turn like a Grasshopper, Exmark or Scag?

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,373  
Got my new Novatractor MFZ155 hooked up dialed in and then got a little rain so we could try it out without starting a fire. So far, I'm super pleased with it. It's so great when something works exactly how you expected. Maybe any flail would do the same, but this thing munches up berry bushes and other brush so good. This is exactly what I needed.

Attachments

• flailmower.jpg
    flailmower.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 100
   / Let's talk flail mowers #7,374  
Thanks for your detailed reply. That is what I have always been curious about, is the cut quality as good as a top notch zero turn like a Grasshopper, Exmark or Scag?
If you had a reasonably light tractor on turf tires running on smooth ground a flail should be equal to a zero turn for turf quality, possibly better. It will mulch better & not leave clumps. A heavy tractor, especially on R1 or maybe R4 tires would be much more likely to leave ruts or tear grass on tight turns. The roller on a flail gives an even cut, but the width of a flail could in theory cause issues on non-smooth ground. A zero turn & flail are both orders of magnitude better than a rotary cutter or finish mower as wide as the flail though.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,375  
A zero turn & flail are both orders of magnitude better than a rotary cutter or finish mower as wide as the flail though.
I think you're right because finish mowers just can't produce enough lift to cut the grass as cleanly. However, I will say that Trimax makes some rotary cutters for tractors that will blow your mind.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,376  
I think you're right because finish mowers just can't produce enough lift to cut the grass as cleanly. However, I will say that Trimax makes some rotary cutters for tractors that will blow your mind.
There are a pile of mowers out there that will get super high cut quality. Stuff you usually find on a golf course or what not. Reel mower, stuff with a large number of articulated rotary heads, etc. But they are expensive & not as durable. Flails seem to be a better overall compromise, other than being more expensive than equivalent rotary cutters.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,378  
I haven't been around in quite a while and sorry for the long post. So I recently bought a Kubota B26TLB that has a claimed 19.5 HP at the PTO. I am in the process of buying 20 acres that is mostly wooded but has some areas that were previously cleared/ mowed and need to be mowed again now so we can get moving forward on building a shop and then a home. I would really like to go the flail mower route and wanted one years ago when I was still in western NY instead of using the rotary cutter. Main question is anyone's thoughts on the Land Pride FM2560 flail mower. There is one used locally with the ducks foot blades for what I think is a decent price. From what I have read the Land Pride seems quite expensive to swap blades and rotors if needed. Kubota does not recommend this mower for the B26 and actually none of their flail mowers for the B26. They only recommend the 48" for the L47 and M62. I assume Kubota is being very conservative in their recommendations.

1635022452874.png

1635022103590.png

Land Pride lists the weight at 965 lbs. and Kubota lists the B26 at lift at 1676 lbs. 24 inches behind 3 pt. hitch lift point. I have read some say if you can lift it then you can spin it but I'm thinking this may be just too much mower for the little Kubota? What I will be cutting is not real thick and I know I can take smaller bites. The Land Pride looks well built from what I have seen. Seems like most 60" flail mowers are out of stock. The Novatractor mentioned above appears to be in stock and would that be a better route? There is also a used Maschio Birba 135 around that looks to be in good condition but fairly small. My other option is to pick up a 60" rotary cutter for getting going on things and wait for the flail mowers to come back in stock and also keep waiting for the "right" used one to show up. What do you guys think? Thanks for any input.

1635022338442.png

1635022203860.png

1635022864664.png

1635022889758.png

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,379  
I haven't been around in quite a while and sorry for the long post. So I recently bought a Kubota B26TLB that has a claimed 19.5 HP at the PTO. I am in the process of buying 20 acres that is mostly wooded but has some areas that were previously cleared/ mowed and need to be mowed again now so we can get moving forward on building a shop and then a home. I would really like to go the flail mower route and wanted one years ago when I was still in western NY instead of using the rotary cutter. Main question is anyone's thoughts on the Land Pride FM2560 flail mower. There is one used locally with the ducks foot blades for what I think is a decent price. From what I have read the Land Pride seems quite expensive to swap blades and rotors if needed. Kubota does not recommend this mower for the B26 and actually none of their flail mowers for the B26. They only recommend the 48" for the L47 and M62. I assume Kubota is being very conservative in their recommendations.

View attachment 718054

View attachment 718051

Land Pride lists the weight at 965 lbs. and Kubota lists the B26 at lift at 1676 lbs. 24 inches behind 3 pt. hitch lift point. I have read some say if you can lift it then you can spin it but I'm thinking this may be just too much mower for the little Kubota? What I will be cutting is not real thick and I know I can take smaller bites. The Land Pride looks well built from what I have seen. Seems like most 60" flail mowers are out of stock. The Novatractor mentioned above appears to be in stock and would that be a better route? There is also a used Maschio Birba 135 around that looks to be in good condition but fairly small. My other option is to pick up a 60" rotary cutter for getting going on things and wait for the flail mowers to come back in stock and also keep waiting for the "right" used one to show up. What do you guys think? Thanks for any input.

View attachment 718053

View attachment 718052

View attachment 718055

View attachment 718056
I can answer this. I would strongly recommend staying away from that flail mower. To begin with, those flail mowers made by Kubota are crazy heavy and weigh a ton. They weigh more then what your little B26 can adequately handle. It could easily push your tractor around and cause a real safety concern. Secondly they are very hp hungry flail mowers and no way would I recommend taxing your 26hp engine down with one. And thirdly the replacement cost for knives is beyond stupid, it's just straight up robbery. Take my advice and stay away!

What I would recommend instead is a flail mower made for low horsepower tractors such as the Befco H40-S line, Vrisimo Mini Max Series, Trimax Ezeemow and Maschio makes a flail for lower hp tractors but I would look at the first three first.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,380  
Hey CVF,

Thanks so much for all that great info. You confirmed what my thoughts had been. I keep seeing it listed but have not contacted the seller due to thinking it is too heavy and HP hungry. I contacted Woodmaxx about a week ago and they had two of the WoodMaxx FM-62H left. I thought on it for a day or two as I was not sure if I wanted the hydraulic shift and then they were both gone. I snoozed and lost out.

This Maschio Birba 135 is on TractorHouse and I almost called the dealer to see what location it is at. Wasn't sure if it was too small and I would be disappointed? I could possibly have it shipped or a bit of a road trip.

1635027163355.png

1635027193401.png

Last edited: