Let's talk mattresses!

/ Let's talk mattresses! #31  
I think memory foam is just a wily way for a company to advertise a cheap mattress and make it sound good. Every memory foam mattress I have had looks like the cheap ones we had as kids after a couple of months. Reminds me of the mother's mattress in the movie Psycho with the huge indentation in the center.

/ Let's talk mattresses! #32  
I sure wish I could sleep like I did years ago. Most times I sleep good for about 3 hours and then I toss and turn the rest of the night. I have to get down to a local store/factory that has been making mattresses since 1929 and check them out. The prices can be high but maybe you get what you pay for. If the right mattress would allow me to sleep good, it would be well worth it.

Factory Direct Mattress Company - The Beloit Mattress Company

/ Let's talk mattresses! #33  
Can you put a purple mattress on a bed that raises the head and foot?

/ Let's talk mattresses! #35  
I think memory foam is just a wily way for a company to advertise a cheap mattress and make it sound good. Every memory foam mattress I have had looks like the cheap ones we had as kids after a couple of months. Reminds me of the mother's mattress in the movie Psycho with the huge indentation in the center.
We bought the Serta I Comfort with the cool gel about 6 years ago?
just before the 90 day trial was up we had them switch it out for the most firm version because it seemed to be losing support.

Thought it would be OK
Nope.

I now really dislike it...

Sleeping in the same place it sinks and then continues to sink. Seems like the gel migrates to.
Plus anywhere around the sides is not supportive

Not sure what is next but it will not be an I Comfort.

Last edited:
   / Let's talk mattresses! #36  
I know you said you don't want foam, but personal anecdote - we moved from a (queen size - didn't change that) $1k+ pillowtop 5 years ago to a foam mattress from Costco and have found it to be a vast improvement.

Even more important I found that by not using a pillow when I sleep on my back (I still use one when I side-sleep -- the pillow is smaller than I used to use) I no longer ever wake up with back pain that I didn't go to bed with, and even going to bed with a sore back it's usually better by morning.

If you look at what your posture is like lying on a pillow on your back in bed (hint: you look like a hunchback) it's no surprise that it's not good for you.

Main downside to this is increased snoring... but we both snore so she can't complain too much (and she always falls asleep first, and I have audio proof haha).

Unfortunately I do find the foam warmer. Some friends of mine bought a super fancy brand of foam mattress and apparently also got some special gel cover and they say it's cooler than their previous (hated) fancy pillowtop. While ours is warmer, it hasn't bothered me enough to get such a gel cover yet.

/ Let's talk mattresses! #37  
Many many years ago one of my doctors told me to use the smallest, thinest pillow possible to lessen back problems. It works. (y)

/ Let's talk mattresses! #39  
Unless you suffer from vertigo issues.
I have BPPV and it's easier to trigger without a pillow, but I still have to turn a bit farther than normal sleeping position. I suppose others' BPPV positions may not be as kind as mine (let me tell you, what a surprise the first time that happened! World was spinning all day!).

/ Let's talk mattresses! #40  
Unless you suffer from vertigo issues.
I get it occasionally. I roll over in bed and stop, but the room keeps spinning for 10-15 seconds. Fortunately, it reminds me of my drinking days and I find it quite pleasant. :)

I have that thing where the stuff in your inner ear crystallizes into little chunks on a shelf, then breaks free, falls off the shelf, and rolls around in your inner ear, making your brain think you are in motion when you're not.

I have mastered the Epley Maneuver. ;)