Leveling an established field

/ Leveling an established field #1  

Jkrph

Tractor
Kioti CK35SE
I just began working a field that’s new to me. The alfalfa and grass are in decent shape, but the previous owner allowed livestock and vehicles in the field when the ground was wet. As a result the ground is very uneven in a lot of places which makes me go a lot slower than usual.

Is there a good way to somewhat level the ground without damaging the existing stand?

Thank you

/ Leveling an established field #2  
I don't see a solution since you state you don't want to damage the existing stand. Looks like your waiting till after crop harvest to level this field if you intend to work it in the future.

/ Leveling an established field #3  
Probably the best way, not knowing the soil type, is to use a roller. You need to wait until the ground is soft enough to flatten the high points and not so soft it ruts. Also try to roll on the diagonal to the wheel tracks if you can.
If you run your tyres hard, then dropping the tyre preassure for this job will help avoid rutting(I assume you have a compressor so you can air back up).
If you can say what your soil type is it will help with advice.
You will need to wait until after this cutting at least before rolling.

/ Leveling an established field #4  
How long are the ruts and how many, What equipment do you have, or are you trying gauge what to get with this question. I remembering reading an old post from @LD1 about run a disk over rough ground followed by a cultipacker. He's the one I would seek advice from since he does this for a living. Most people won't have a cultipacker but maybe you could use a yard roller or have a farmer do it.

The other option would be to bring in dirt, and use a box blade to fill the ruts. Depending on how deep you could possibly get away with running a tiller over them one time and then a lawn roller. I did this t othe neighbors yard, he had driven in his yard and left some 8 inch it worked ok.

You may lose a little of the hay temporarily but it is fixable without tearing up the field.

/ Leveling an established field
The soil is clay loam.

The damage is widespread, at least a third of the field.

I was thinking of a chain or spike harrow to loosen and knock down the high spots, but I’m not sure it will be very effective, even if I add weight.

What equipment do you have, or are you trying gauge what to get with this question.

I am trying to determine the best equipment and methods.

/ Leveling an established field #7  
Several ways but you don't mention where you live(area)....what tractor you have, what equipment you have, etc. All important info.

There is not a good way to do it without having to replant. A roller heavy enough to actually do something when the ground is soft enough.....is gonna need pulled by something big enough that just gonna rut it back up

Several ways but you don't mention where you live(area)....what tractor you have, what equipment you have, etc. All important info.

I likely don’t have the right equipment, but friends and neighbors probably do. I just need to know what to ask for, the right time to do it, etc. I live in the high desert of the Sierras

/ Leveling an established field #9  
The previous owner allowed livestock and vehicles in the field when the ground was wet.........compacting the pasture soil.

Is there a good way to somewhat level the ground without damaging the existing stand?

The alfalfa and grass are in decent shape.

Your light Kioti CK25 can pull a three (3) shank All Purpose Plow 10"-14" deep through any but the rockiest field. APP is a rake with widely spaced tines. It will even the field with several passes and aerate the livestock and vehicle compacted soil. You pasture grass will love the aeration.

Attachments

• DSC00382.jpg
    DSC00382.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 190
  • DSC00357.jpg
    DSC00357.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 196

Dirt Dog, Fred Cain and Bush Hog all offer APPs identical except for brand decals.

I speculate Dirt Dog produces all of them.

You cannot pull a Disk Harrow with enough weight to level your field behind a light Kioti CK25. Your tractor will stall.

Last edited:
   / Leveling an established field #10  
Several ways but you don't mention where you live (area). All important info.

jeff9366: I can't figure out how to insert my location into my T-B-N profile....

If you add your LOCATION to your T-B-N PROFILE, so your location shows with every post your author, you will receive responses germane to your operating conditions.

IMPLEMENTS - Availability of implement brands are regional, not national. ie: CountyLine, Rural King, etc.

1. Click on your "illuminated" screen name in upper right corner.

2. Click on SETTINGS in drop down box.

3. On left side of screen, click on ACCOUNT DETAILS.

4. Scroll down to LOCATION.

Last edited: