Leveling an established field

/ Leveling an established field #11  
I certainly would try a big roller if someone locally has one you can borrow, it can't hurt and may help your situation some. What we do down here in my area is in the winter when the grass is dormant, we will tear it up with a disc harrow and then roll it several times with a big roller filled with water and when spring comes your grass will be back although usually with weeds, but we use herbicide to take care of them.

/ Leveling an established field
Thank you all for the good suggestions.

/ Leveling an established field #13  
I have another suggestion but it is VERY moisture (rain) dependent. I have used it to some sucess on my ground, but only if I get the right rainfall. After receiving 1.5" or more of rain, I will aerate the ground with a hollow tine (plug puller) aerator, similar to this:

The aerator I use is just under 5' wide, 10 wheels, and 16 spoons per wheel. I hit the area twice with the aerator, leaving about 18 holes per square ft. Then hope for more rain for those holes to absorb water and hit with the roller. Even with that many holes per square ft, it doesn't seem to bother the grass. The sod becomes a big sponge and moves with the roller after being "tenderized".

/ Leveling an established field #14  

Kioti CK35 Dimensions​

Dimensions
Wheelbase:66.1 inches
167 cm
Length:122.2 inches
310 cm
Width:54.6 inches
138 cm
Height:96.8 inches
245 cm
Gear Weight:3042 lbs
1379 kg
Hydro Weight:3118 lbs
1414 kg
Ground clearance:13.82 inches
35 cm

If the rear tires on your ((NEW)) Kioti CK35 are filled with liquid
it should have enough weight to pull a five (5) shank All Purpose Plow 10"-14" deep through any but the rockiest field. APP is a rake with widely spaced tines. APP will even the field with several passes and aerate the livestock and vehicle compacted soil. You pasture grass will love the aeration.

If your rear tires are inflated with air you MAY have to drop off one easily removed tine, leaving four.

Here are my reasons for wanting OP location.

ALTIITUDE - Tractors lose 3% of engine power output for every 1,000' altitude increase, over 1,500' Sometimes twenty posts will be made advising on tractor horsepower, then we find OP is a 6,500 feet altitude and is considering a low power, naturally aspirated tractor.

WEATHER - ESPECIALLY SNOW - Blowing snow and mowing are the two tasks that require considerable engine power. If we know an OP is in Buffalo, NY rather than Key West, FL snow needs are apparent.

WEATHER - Large swathes of the country have a continental climate, four seasons, with great temperature variations between winters and summers.
Areas near the coast have varying maritime climates.

PRICING - Tractor and implement pricing and dealer service pricing varies a great deal. Lowest prices are usually in the south. Prices along the west coast and in the northeast are usually highest.

Some states exempt agriculture and forestry equipment from state sales taxes. Florida is one example of liberal ag sales tax exemptions.

IMPLEMENTS - Availability of implements brands are regional, not national. ie: CountyLine, Rural King, etc.

SOIL AND GROWING SEASON - Whether game food plots or market crops, soil and length of growing season(s) are important. Soil type influences tire selection. Soil type influences implement selection.

USED TRACTORS - When the OP posts a location, OP is often referred to good used tractors nearby or provided local tractor listings from Craig's List, eBay, TractorHouse, Machinery Peter or other sites.

Everyone on T-B-N has a screen name, as anonymous as they like. Any other profile information is contributed voluntarily, such as age and tractor brand/model. Relative to the massive data heists reported so often, with names, address, Social Security and credit card numbers stolen, this site is nearly anonymous.

Last edited:
   / Leveling an established field #15  
jeff9366: I can't figure out how to insert my location into my T-B-N profile....

If you add your LOCATION to your T-B-N PROFILE, so your location shows with every post your author, you will receive responses germane to your operating conditions.
You will also receive replies that have NOTHING to do with your location and others that have nothing to do with your question.
In most cases.

/ Leveling an established field #16  
Just a comment to the OP

This is a VERY FREQUENT topic . Do a search of the forum for MANY more good ideas that may apply to your situation.

Click on that magnifying glass icon at the upper right of the screen. Use an assortment of search terms. ;-)

/ Leveling an established field #17  
Sometimes, people will add soil to the low spots to help balance things out. It can be done without destroying the crop. It is not a complete or permanent solution, but it can make things better until you are ready to do it completely.

/ Leveling an established field #18  
This time of year and later into the summer - my soil gets hard as concrete. It would take a D6 Cat and equivalent roller to even make an impact.

I have VERY SUCCESSFULLY used my land plane grading scraper with scarifiers. Set the scarifiers low enough to skerf up any foot prints, ruts, abnormalities, etc. The body of the LPGS will smooth and level as you move along. For me this was a permanent solution.

It is very likely that you will need to reseed these areas.

/ Leveling an established field #19  
   / Leveling an established field #20  
Get a delivery of topsoil. Use your loader bucket to fill low spots. Start with the lowest spots first. You don’t have t be perfect.
Then drag a chain harrow or even a section of steel cyclone fence behind tractor to level it out. A landscape rake can also work if you know how to use one properly.
Seed afterwards.

Here is a light version of what I am describing.

1659359159485.jpeg

Last edited: