Lift for Barn/Shop

/ Lift for Barn/Shop #11  
Sweet, another topic on my list of things to do. Picked up an old electric 2500 lb fl for just this purpose. Need a lift for the barn, getting old using the tractor. The single stage mast will be mounted on the wall and have a 4x6 platform. The old battery will almost pay for the unit in salvage value. Should be able to run the pump with three tractor batteries with occasional use.

/ Lift for Barn/Shop #12  
I think anything you might find that is intended to move people will be made with every possible safeguard to keep people from killing or dismembering themselves. you'll have safety cages, brakes systems, etc. if you don't need to move yourself (or don't mind going against the safety police, I would consider what someone earlier mentioned - an inexpensive harbor freight hoist. i picked up the 880 lb one clean-used at a used tool place for something like $45 a few years back that i use on my portable gantry. they're about $135 new i think. you could make an expanded metal platform that folds up like the one you showed, and if you pick it from all 4 corners when tipped down, you might be able to get away with something like old garage door tracks and rollers as vertical guides. the hoist will have the heavy load, they will just be to stabilize. Just gotta be able to secure the hoist and ensure the roof / wall you pull from will take the load. I'm sure the safety police will shut me down because there's a million ways to get hurt if you do stupid stuff.

/ Lift for Barn/Shop #13  
The lifts I earlier described made from car 4 post car lifts have safety interlocks everywhere, and can ONLY be operated from outside the shaft with all doors closed.
As such the platforms are all caged as well.

Placards everywhere also declare 'no riders' permitted.

As designed for cars there is no way they can free fall due to a ratchet safety system plus they are rated for heavy truck weight.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Around here many service stations use a hoist system to store clients off season tires in their garage attic space.
Usually a winch that hoists a cage full of off season set of tires.
Good money at $40.00 per set of 4 tires (twice a year) for unused attic apace! plus a guaranteed return client.

/ Lift for Barn/Shop #14  
So I'm turning to this group (one of the most useful places on the 'net). Any ideas on how to build (or purchase) a system like this?
What's your budget?

/ Lift for Barn/Shop #15  
This is why I mention stairs and a hoist or something similar. The various platforms mentioned cobbled together from old machine parts or vehicle lifts won't be safe for moving people or operable from more than one point. So, you're on the ground, load 500 pound of stuff on the platform and send it up, then what? You still have to get up there and get the stuff off the platform and to a storage place. Or leave the platform raised.

But it's up to the OP.

/ Lift for Barn/Shop #17  
Last edited:
   / Lift for Barn/Shop #18  
That motoblah on you tube is the answer. Fork lift mast repurposed. Exactly the plan here on in the barn. The old Clarke we bought will do fine. All the parts required are there. No need to ride the platform if commom sense prevails.

/ Lift for Barn/Shop
This is why I mention stairs and a hoist or something similar. The various platforms mentioned cobbled together from old machine parts or vehicle lifts won't be safe for moving people or operable from more than one point.

Your assumptions are incorrect. I don't do stairs. Period.
I FULLY intend to be on the lift with the materials I am raising. And bluntly, I don't need any safety cages. The floor of the loft is only 12' up and the loft itself is 100% "open" (ie. no walls or rails). I figure if I can work on a loft without safety rails, I can ride on open lift for a few seconds without falling off.

Fwiw, I found a video that is very, VERY close to what I was looking for:

Detailed Garage Attic Lift Build (HD) - YouTube

Couple of notes / differences from this video:

• The loft I am raising stuff to is "open". The lift will operate to the side of the loft, not through the floor. This fact removes the "pinch" hazard.
  • The guy in this video has already upgraded the hoist to one with a 1000/2000 # capacity.

It looks like the total cost of this build is somewhere around $400 (I already own the tubular steel to make the platform). I haven't priced forklifts, but I can't imagine any of those being a workable solution for under $5k.

In fact, after finding this video, I might take out the stairs going to the attic inside my house and install one of these there too. In order to do that, I'll have to figure out how to split the controller so I can put a "light switch" on the ground floor so I can lower it, using the regular controller to operate it while I am on it.

Last edited:
   / Lift for Barn/Shop #20  
Save yourself some trouble and buy this walk behind forklift: Rol-Lift Manual Stacker 2lbs 2 to choose from - tools - by owner...

1255473025.jpg

That has almost everything you need together, you will need to add a platform, an automatic battery tender (or just use the charger) and either replace the hand valve with a electric one, or run a pair of ropes to move the handle up or down.
I would build a "back" on your platform if you are going to ride on it to keep you from accidentally sticking important body parts into the forklift mast.

For the stairs in your house, find a used stairchair, should be available for under $500 for a basic one for straight stairs if you can wait.

Aaron Z