Lighter weight log chains -- where to buy?

/ Lighter weight log chains -- where to buy? #21  
I have stretched or broken a few G70 5/16” tie down chains towing or logging. Switched to G100 rigging chain with no problems.
I got tired of lugging a huge chain around to get strength too, so I figure buy once cry once!

Resized-20201021-155815-5056-S.jpg

Grade 100 and I no longer have to worry about it...

SR

/ Lighter weight log chains -- where to buy?
THANK YOU EVERYBODY, I have a solution! I didn't know about the red hooks, and didn't recognize them as a functional type of slip hook ("choker" they called it). I ordered a pair of those, and one 14' G70 chain having grab hooks on the ends, all at Amazon from stock. I'm going to cut that chain into 5' and 9' sections, add the choker hooks, and have longer and shorter versions of just what I wished for.

I've had lots of free scrounged chains over the years. It's very good for one specific thing when doing heavy work: throw it into the ballast box while adding the concrete to make a nice heavy weight.

BTW I use chain for a variety of things. At the moment I have some logs to move, no bigger than 8" diameter. I have arborist rope, too, but that's not very abrasion resistant when dragging logs, I pretty much always use that in the air. I have a nice G70 3/8" chain 20' long with slip and grab hooks which is way more than adequate to the task, but, boy, is it heavy to lug around.

/ Lighter weight log chains -- where to buy? #23  
And while dragging it through rocks and gravel it lasts how long? We use choke chains to move trees, and have worn some out doing that. I'll stick with steel.

About as long as the UTV/ATV if you're trying to skid logs with one of them.

/ Lighter weight log chains -- where to buy? #24  
And while dragging it through rocks and gravel it lasts how long? We use choke chains to move trees, and have worn some out doing that. I'll stick with steel.
Well, even a heavy duty plastic chain will eventually wear when subjected to that.

/ Lighter weight log chains -- where to buy? #26  
Absent the ability to test it, I dunno 'bout Horrible Fright chain grade ratings.
I imagine it all comes from the same place. Just look at the name on the Tractor Supply hooks on their gold chains. It's Chinese chain too, just at three times the price.

/ Lighter weight log chains -- where to buy? #27  
Most people think that their rusted out grade 43 chain has a gold link. I don’t recall ever seeing a good price on a chain at a yard sale or auction.
I just bought 3- 20' chains, 5/16" gold, two binders for 20.00$.

/ Lighter weight log chains -- where to buy? #29  

Attachments

• IMG_20220801_190342.jpg
    IMG_20220801_190342.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 126
   / Lighter weight log chains -- where to buy? #30  
THANK YOU EVERYBODY, I have a solution! I didn't know about the red hooks, and didn't recognize them as a functional type of slip hook ("choker" they called it). I ordered a pair of those, and one 14' G70 chain having grab hooks on the ends, all at Amazon from stock. I'm going to cut that chain into 5' and 9' sections, add the choker hooks, and have longer and shorter versions of just what I wished for.

I've had lots of free scrounged chains over the years. It's very good for one specific thing when doing heavy work: throw it into the ballast box while adding the concrete to make a nice heavy weight.

BTW I use chain for a variety of things. At the moment I have some logs to move, no bigger than 8" diameter. I have arborist rope, too, but that's not very abrasion resistant when dragging logs, I pretty much always use that in the air. I have a nice G70 3/8" chain 20' long with slip and grab hooks which is way more than adequate to the task, but, boy, is it heavy to lug around.
You are looking for a lighter choker chain for exactly the same reason we did. We got smaller weight and shorter in length and loved them.