Limburger and onions sandwiches?

/ Limburger and onions sandwiches? #41  
My grandparents owned a local café and I spent a lot of time there as a toddler.

The only thing I was allowed to snack on was dill pickles, catchup and day old bread.

So that was my snack and I liked it.

As an adult, I changed it up a few times, experimenting with peanut butter and/or Miracle whip on crackers.

Adding cheese just happened in the past few decades.

So now my favorite is
cracker
peanut butter
dill pickle
cheese
Miracle Whip
catchup - but spicy hot salsa is even better

Interesting.

I am hoping I can find the origin of this hour d overs because it is so unique.

I get why people think it's gross, but it is a delicacy.

/ Limburger and onions sandwiches? #42  
When we were kids my Mother always bought to jars of Limburger Cheese mild spread for my brother and me. I had a zero marked on mine and he had an X to keep them separate.

When I was older I bought the foil wrapped package which was much stronger smelling, but good.

I also love Blue Cheese dressing with chunks for salad.

My problem is at the age of 73 I became lactose intolerant. I just turned 77.

Attachments

• 00021000616718-jOjEey1YrBdeIg-0_s500.jpg
    00021000616718-jOjEey1YrBdeIg-0_s500.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 27
   / Limburger and onions sandwiches? #43  

My problem is at the age of 73 I became lactose intolerant. I just turned 77.
There are pills one can take to help with the lactose issue. I have been using pills from CostCo and Walmart for years. They work for me but one can still eat too much lactose and overwhelm the pills. One pill is enough for me to eat cheese on a sandwich, omelette, etc. I don't drink milk or eat ice cream though, that is asking for trouble, even taking the pills :eek: 😁

Last edited:
   / Limburger and onions sandwiches? #44  
I seem to remember an early Little Rascals episode where the kids got hold of some Limburger and hated the smell. Years later I got some in a variety pack and was surprised that the smell wasn't bad. Maybe mine was similar to the mild Limburger that masscity got in a jar.

/ Limburger and onions sandwiches? #45  
I seem to remember an early Little Rascals episode where the kids got hold of some Limburger and hated the smell. Years later I got some in a variety pack and was surprised that the smell wasn't bad. Maybe mine was similar to the mild Limburger that masscity got in a jar.
See post 38 ;)

/ Limburger and onions sandwiches? #46  
See post 38 ;)

Thanks Moss, as you can see I came into this thread late. That episode was probably the first I ever heard of Limburger Cheese. Another episode introduced to the internal combustion washing machine motor. I had to wait for the internet to get the details.

Last edited:
   / Limburger and onions sandwiches?
Amy finally made me a limbuger sandwich.

Sautéed onions, stone ground mustard, peasant bread, and pan fried.

It was a bit stinky, but it was amazing. That **** was really good.

You need to try it. You only go around once...

/ Limburger and onions sandwiches? #48  
There are pills one can take to help with the lactose issue. I have been using pills from CostCo and Walmart for years. They work for me but one can still eat too much lactose and overwhelm the pills. One pill is enough for me to eat cheese on a sandwich, omelette, etc. I don't drink milk or ice cream though, that is asking for trouble, even taking the pills :eek: 😁
If you shop in your bigger grocery chains, you can find lactose, free milk, and lactose free ice cream.

Any of the hard cheeses are also for the most part lactose-free, or very slight amounts. Cheddar or Swiss are examples of the harder cheeses that you should be able to tolerate. Even mozzarella should not affect you.

I was unable to tolerate lactose for years, but now enjoy these foods.

/ Limburger and onions sandwiches? #49  
If you shop in your bigger grocery chains, you can find lactose, free milk, and lactose free ice cream.

Any of the hard cheeses are also for the most part lactose-free, or very slight amounts. Cheddar or Swiss are examples of the harder cheeses that you should be able to tolerate. Even mozzarella should not affect you.

I was unable to tolerate lactose for years, but now enjoy these foods.
I think somehow you quoted me but with dmccarty's else's reply. ;)