Liquid in tires

/ Liquid in tires #81  
Some tire places will not work on tires filled with methanol.
Not going to worry about that with my IH 424. Those places wouldn't work on those tires, anyway, no matter what I had used to fill them. They'd say the tires are too far gone, and needed to be replaced. And most folks would say they were right.
But then, I'm not most folks.

/ Liquid in tires #82  
Why would you tell them. Just say you have a flat.
Because I respect their decision not to work on them. Under the right conditions, Methanol can be a serious hazard.

/ Liquid in tires #83  
Because I respect their decision not to work on them. Under the right conditions, Methanol can be a serious hazard.
Methanol is flammable, but is it still flammable if mixed 50-50 with water?

/ Liquid in tires #84  
Methanol is flammable, but is it still flammable if mixed 50-50 with water?
Just read something that said methanol is considered flammable at 20% concentration. Not sure if I believe that, but worth looking into further if it interests you. I've also heard that in tires, it can be explosive under the right conditions - something about the vapor in the airspace of the tire. (That's another one I've not found in writing from a known credible source, but have not had the time to look in to.) I do know that the tire places' insurance companies probably have a good reason for telling their clients they are not allowed to work on tires with Methanol in them.

/ Liquid in tires #85  
Not to mention that methanol is poisonous.

Sheesh. It’s just common courtesy to tell the folks that are gonna work on your tires if they are filled with something.

/ Liquid in tires #86  
Just read something that said methanol is considered flammable at 20% concentration. Not sure if I believe that, but worth looking into further if it interests you. I've also heard that in tires, it can be explosive under the right conditions - something about the vapor in the airspace of the tire. (That's another one I've not found in writing from a known credible source, but have not had the time to look in to.) I do know that the tire places' insurance companies probably have a good reason for telling their clients they are not allowed to work on tires with Methanol in them.
I had methanol in my old tractor tires for over 10 years with no issues. But when I bought my new tractor last year I opted for bio-ballast because that’s what the dealer offered.

/ Liquid in tires #87  
If it's flat, probably already gone. If you're replacing a tire that holds air, put valve stem on bottom while it's still on tractor, remove valve stem, let it spew out. Air back up with a rubber tip blower, let it spew until empty. I have never taken a tractor to a tire store, but I have taken the wheel assembly. Always emptied it so it ain't so heavy. But I've done my own for almost 30 years now. Keep several tires and rims here, hundreds. Tires in the thousands. Biggest tractor tires I keep are 38" because there are two machines here that run them. We have three tractors that run 30", three more low profiles that run 24", well one is 4x4 and runs 11,4-24 on the front. Tires are expensive these days. I keep others from 13" jap cars up to 18 wheelers and all in between. I have a lot of woods so I keep them lined up by size in the shade so the sun don't crack them. I mark the grade on them too. I will put a tire with wire showing on a hay rake and it will last for years, or on a disc. But I put good tires on trucks and trailers.

/ Liquid in tires #88  
If it's flat, probably already gone. If you're replacing a tire that holds air, put valve stem on bottom while it's still on tractor, remove valve stem, let it spew out. …
I’m tempted to say something snarky, but will just reply with this…

Q. Is methanol hazardous or dangerous?
A. Yes, methanol is a hazardous chemical that is highly flammable and toxic. Methanol must be properly stored, transported and used by people that have been properly trained in its handling. Methanol is extremely toxic to humans if ingested or if vapors are inhaled. Direct exposure to methanol should be avoided, as methanol can be harmful if swallowed, absorbed through the skin, or inhaled. Ingestion of as little as one to four ounces can cause irreversible injury to the nervous system, blindness or even death. Methanol can cause poisoning, systemic acidosis, optic nerve damage and central nervous system (CNS) effects. Methanol can also degrease the skin, which may cause dermatitis. Symptoms of acute methanol exposure may include headache, weakness, drowsiness, nausea, difficult breathing, drunkenness, eye irritation, blurred vision, loss of consciousness, and possibly death. Patients may improve and then get worse again up to 30 hours later.

• Good Post
Reactions: M59
   / Liquid in tires #89  
If it's flat, probably already gone. If you're replacing a tire that holds air, put valve stem on bottom while it's still on tractor, remove valve stem, let it spew out. Air back up with a rubber tip blower, let it spew until empty. I have never taken a tractor to a tire store, but I have taken the wheel assembly. Always emptied it so it ain't so heavy. But I've done my own for almost 30 years now. Keep several tires and rims here, hundreds. Tires in the thousands. Biggest tractor tires I keep are 38" because there are two machines here that run them. We have three tractors that run 30", three more low profiles that run 24", well one is 4x4 and runs 11,4-24 on the front. Tires are expensive these days. I keep others from 13" jap cars up to 18 wheelers and all in between. I have a lot of woods so I keep them lined up by size in the shade so the sun don't crack them. I mark the grade on them too. I will put a tire with wire showing on a hay rake and it will last for years, or on a disc. But I put good tires on trucks and trailers.
Glad you found a system that works for you. I have zero interest in maintaining an inventory of used tires on my property. I'll use a tire until it is worn out or damaged beyond repair, then replace it and get rid of the old one.

The only exceptions to this are the tires used in the obstacle course in our woods, and the snow tires waiting to be put back on our vehicles when winter comes.