loader joystick extension

/ loader joystick extension #1  

edgarrian

Platinum Member
Tractor
NA
I have a 1705 and was wondering if anyone has extended the loader joystick so that you don't have to always lean forward to operate the loader. I guess I have short arms. Im wondering why they wouldn't have ran it up through the floor and made the joystick easily accessible.

/ loader joystick extension #2  
I have a 1705 and was wondering if anyone has extended the loader joystick so that you don't have to always lean forward to operate the loader. I guess I have short arms. Im wondering why they wouldn't have ran it up through the floor and made the joystick easily accessible.

Old thread, but I'm with ya on that. I'm debating bending the arm, but then it would always be in the way when getting on the tractor from the right side. Wondering if anybody did an extension with a lock, one that is hinged at the end of the joystick, so that it folds down parallel to it when not in use. And when you use the loader, you flip it/back and lock it in place at a 45-90 deg angle to the joystick. That way I could just rest my arm on the arm rest while working the loader. Now that's luxury w/o having to upgrade to the 2019 GC with the fender joystick. Well, the research is on!

/ loader joystick extension #3  
Old thread, but I'm with ya on that. I'm debating bending the arm, but then it would always be in the way when getting on the tractor from the right side. Wondering if anybody did an extension with a lock, one that is hinged at the end of the joystick, so that it folds down parallel to it when not in use. And when you use the loader, you flip it/back and lock it in place at a 45-90 deg angle to the joystick. That way I could just rest my arm on the arm rest while working the loader. Now that's luxury w/o having to upgrade to the 2019 GC with the fender joystick. Well, the research is on!
I wonder if you found a good quality clamp like the ones that cymbal stands have on drum sets that could work. I've come across some very sturdy hardware when I used to perform as a percussionist and I'm pretty certain that they'd be up to the task.

Weld or thread your extension onto the end and you'll be able to position it and fold it back like you want.

The loader knob is basically just glued on the stick. Tap the hole and you'll have a starting point to mount anything you'd imagine on the end to do what you need to.

/ loader joystick extension #4  
It's called a "Hirth Joint".

/ loader joystick extension #6  
I wonder if you found a good quality clamp like the ones that cymbal stands have on drum sets that could work. I've come across some very sturdy hardware when I used to perform as a percussionist and I'm pretty certain that they'd be up to the task.

Weld or thread your extension onto the end and you'll be able to position it and fold it back like you want.

The loader knob is basically just glued on the stick. Tap the hole and you'll have a starting point to mount anything you'd imagine on the end to do what you need to.

Yup, I think you're on to something here. I'm thinking something like this.

/ loader joystick extension #8  
In the old days there were 2 loader levers you had to reach out and manipulate. It was great when 1 lever would do both movements. One reason I bought my Boomer tractor was how everything was ergonomically placed for easier operation. Now, many people only look at spec numbers or the price before they buy. How it "feels" and "works" is way more important in the long run if you want to be happy with the tractor. Good luck getting it the way you want....it is worth it.

/ loader joystick extension #9  
Well Ruffdog, living in the Chicago area has many upsides, but a wide choice of tractor dealers ain't one of them. Around here Kubota mostly, and I just wasn't feeling the BX23 when I went out to see it, especially with the price premium over the MF GC1710. But, I'll willingly tinker with my tractor to get it to what I want it to be. ;)

/ loader joystick extension #10  
Ok, so a quick update to this. My plan was to carve a thread on the joystick and screw on an extension I could bend this or that way to fit my needs. The loader joystick rod matches a M14x2 thread, so I got a tap & die set off ebay, got a threaded rod and a couple coupler nuts also off ebay, and tapped a m14x2 thr. hole in a plastic knob I had laying around .

So yesterday was the day I was gonna mess with all that, and then my blowtorch caught my eye, and I though, hmm...

IMG_20191029_153344.jpgIMG_20191029_154848.jpgIMG_20191029_154901.jpg

Was it smart to do it that way? Probably not. Did it work? Yes. I'm happy now.