Loader mounted post hole digger??

/ Loader mounted post hole digger?? #41  
Once you use a loader mounted hydraulic post hole digger. You will not want to go back to a Pto three point hitch post hole digger.

/ Loader mounted post hole digger?? #42  
Wow..........Y'alls cedar is sure different than ours. Years ago, Dad andI helped my Uncle rebuild his catch pen. He told me the posts had been in the ground 30 years. We just moved them to make a bigger pen, turned them unside down and replanted them.
hugs, Brandi

It is more the groundwater. I have a high-water table and often hit water at the bottom of the hole. The ground stays moist which is great for pasture but not so for wood. Where I have fence rails they are a hundred years old, but not anything in contact with the ground.

/ Loader mounted post hole digger?? #43  
It is more the groundwater. I have a high-water table and often hit water at the bottom of the hole. The ground stays moist which is great for pasture but not so for wood. Where I have fence rails they are a hundred years old, but not anything in contact with the ground.
Oh Wow. What about putting the post in concrete. That is what I have had to do here, bucause of all the clay drying out and shrinking. Then the post becomes loose.
hugs, Brandi

/ Loader mounted post hole digger?? #44  
The post hole digger on the backhoe is great! I have seen them on excavators but never on a tractor mounted backhoe, I am thinking about modifying my loader mounted auger.

When I was a kid we put in a 5 acre horse pasture. My uncle and I use a 2 man handheld auger to drill the post holes, while my dad followed behind setting the cedar posts. That pasture was just posts and electric rope. Years later when the posts started to rot and they got sick of the horses getting through the rope my parents hired a contractor to build a 3 rail wooden fence. They built the new fence around the old one (still had horses in the pasture) and brought in a tractor with a pto auger. They would put 2 guys on the lift arms to try and push the auger into the clay soil. The handheld augar and the pto auger put holes in at about the same rate (very heavy wet clay soil). My boss has a skid steer and hydraulic auger that I have used to put post in and that is the best I have used for drilling (haven't tried the backhoe mount yet). You can push the bit down into the clay like a hot knife in butter and you have a clear view of the whole auger and the hole/hole location. I have mounted the hydraulic auger on my tractor and it drills great but you need a spotter because you can't see the bit tip or the hole location when you pull up to it. Even while standing at the steering wheel it's hard to tell how deep you have drilled once you get the bit about half way in.

I would love to try the backhoe mounted auger but I would have to say if you have a choice go with hydraulic auger on a skid steer especially if you work alone, you can drive from hole to hole and drill without leaving the seat. If a skid steer is not an option even without trying it first I would think that the backhoe mount would be the best because you can still work alone it would just involve switching seats or a hydraulic on the loader with a side mount to increase visibility. But whatever you choose in my opinion down preasure followed by visibility is the key to efficient drilling.

/ Loader mounted post hole digger?? #45  
Double post

/ Loader mounted post hole digger?? #46  
Oh Wow. What about putting the post in concrete. That is what I have had to do here, bucause of all the clay drying out and shrinking. Then the post becomes loose.
hugs, Brandi

No, the post still rots out and leave a chunk of concrete with a hole in it. I replace 20 to 30 posts a year on the corners and ends and my cost per post including rebar and tubes for the X brace wires to go through is about $25 each. RR Ties run up to $20 for the real good ones, so it works out.

Attachments

• image-2165361733.jpg
    image-2165361733.jpg
    730.1 KB · Views: 258
  • image-1178272639.jpg
    image-1178272639.jpg
    727.6 KB · Views: 195
   / Loader mounted post hole digger?? #47  
Saw this mentioned somewhere , you'd get down pressure, be able to aim better I would think, ability to reach in better to somewhere.

My question is what drives it?? Hydraulics? How much is needed... seems to me this just might get stupid expensive...:confused2:

I don't know how to link to other threads. I have a thread or two started on here about this, and I'm sure there are a whole lot of others too. I had plans of building one of these, mainly for maneuverability. I have fairly decent soil as well, a 3 point will get the job done, its just a hassle to use in comparison. I recently came across a craigslist deal on a 3 point digger and box blade that I just couldn't pass up. So according to the wife, I have no need to buy the stuff to proceed with the hydraulic digger. In other words, it'll be delayed a little while. But if you'd like, I can post my ideas here and try to draw some really ugly sketches of what I had in mind. If your interested in trying to build one. I agree with you, they are incredibly expensive. Way beyond my budget. But as I recall, I was going to be able to build one for nearly what a 3 point Tractor Supply unit would cost new.

/ Loader mounted post hole digger?? #48  
I like the back hoe mount, very nice. Plus you could add a extension to dig deeper holes if need be.

Oh, and countrybumpkin, I like your avatar. Nice to see someone else that thinks its ok to have racecars and tractors at the same time. Haha. At least I assume that is yours.

IMAG0113.jpg

/ Loader mounted post hole digger??
I don't know how to link to other threads. I have a thread or two started on here about this, and I'm sure there are a whole lot of others too. I had plans of building one of these, mainly for maneuverability. I have fairly decent soil as well, a 3 point will get the job done, its just a hassle to use in comparison. I recently came across a craigslist deal on a 3 point digger and box blade that I just couldn't pass up. So according to the wife, I have no need to buy the stuff to proceed with the hydraulic digger. In other words, it'll be delayed a little while. But if you'd like, I can post my ideas here and try to draw some really ugly sketches of what I had in mind. If your interested in trying to build one. I agree with you, they are incredibly expensive. Way beyond my budget. But as I recall, I was going to be able to build one for nearly what a 3 point Tractor Supply unit would cost new.

Kind of a mute point now as I picked up a tractor supply unit just yesterday... with my limited use I think it will do me fine. Thanks..

/ Loader mounted post hole digger?? #50  
Kind of a mute point now as I picked up a tractor supply unit just yesterday... with my limited use I think it will do me fine. Thanks..

Too little, too late. Story of my life, ha! Oh well. Thats kind of the point I'm at with mine really. I was excited to build the hydraulic unit, but now that I have this one, it serves its purpose just fine I suppose