Loading issues on Dump Trailer

/ Loading issues on Dump Trailer #21  
Well regardless, I'm still gonna cringe. :p

/ Loading issues on Dump Trailer #22  
A Deere 644 payloader with a 4 cu.yd. bucket will weigh about 40,000 pounds. AND they are fun to operate!

Last edited:
   / Loading issues on Dump Trailer #23  
Mark the sides in hi visibility paint and stencil "Dump centered HERE".

/ Loading issues on Dump Trailer #24  
I agree with many posts that say - insist the loader operator load where you need it. I stand on the other side of the trailer. If he is too far forward, wave him off and move him back a little. But you might want to also want to carry a concrete come-along or shovel. Just in case you get the load too far aft. Doesn't take much to move 200-300 # forward if you need. But even if it is loaded correctly, a weight distribution hitch is probably a good idea.

/ Loading issues on Dump Trailer #25  
Forgot to add photo, this was one of the loads from today:

View attachment 714089
Never let them load without giving them direction.
If the person doesn’t want to listen don’t pay till they get in and shovel it where you wanted it.
I almost always direct to the loader how to load, with the only exceptions really being those who I have dealt with for so long that I can trust them to get it right based on the trailer. What you need to understand is many of those guys loading in some places have very minimal training and sometimes the person training them has no real experiance and really isn’t qualified to be a pimple on an operators butt!
Remember there is a difference between someone who can get some dirt moved around and a Real operator.

/ Loading issues on Dump Trailer #26  
I always direct the loader where to place the load for my dump trailer (except for mulch because it pretty much fills up the entire trailer), only takes 1 time of being loaded wrong and having to shovel the load by hand to make you not let it happen again! And with a 16ft bed it leaves a lot more room for error on heavy material like wet clay.

The problem I see with these style dump trailers is the tongue is so short it really increases the sensitivity of load placement, especially with a lighter duty truck like your 1500.

/ Loading issues on Dump Trailer #27  
I think some arrows on the side of the trailer that say load center would go a long way to fixing this problem.

/ Loading issues on Dump Trailer #28  
A Deere 644 payloader with a 4cf bucket will weigh about 40,000 pounds. AND they are fun to operate!
What's a 40k lbs loader only doing with a 4 cubic foot bucket? Loading uranium or black holes?

/ Loading issues on Dump Trailer #29  
What's a 40k lbs loader only doing with a 4 cubic foot bucket? Loading uranium or black holes?

It’s probably 4 yards struck and close to 6 heaped. And 10,000 pounds of machine per yard of bucket isn’t a bad ratio. The local quarry loads with a 95z Kawasaki loader which is 63,000 pounds and has a 5.5 yard struck bucket and 6.5 yards heaped. BTW commercial equipment isn’t like tractors where you pretty much get one bucket option. You can get several different buckets options. You can get small and very strong buckets for loading shot rock, regular buckets for gravel and huge buckets for sawdust or mulch. Edit I just released you said cubic foot vs cubic yards.

Last edited:
   / Loading issues on Dump Trailer #30  
I bought a new Chevy truck in 91, and didn't like the way it pulled the inlaws camper. Weight rating was fine, WD hitch helped, but still didn't feel right. I asked Chevy, and they were ok with it, as long as I didn't exceed limits. So I installed a set of coil helper springs above the axle on rear leaf springs. It kept the truck from squatting so much when I went to max tongue weight.
Adding spacers, etc to the box is asking for trouble, and it will only take ONCE, for you to get a rear heavy load up to speed and when you let off the gas to level out, it starts fish tailing. I put a new 80 Chevy with less than 5k miles on it in a ditch, jackknifed, both drivers side tires flat from rolling off the bead. Haven't forgotten that ride! Give me tongue weight!
Another idea, is put a broomstick thru a pocket or weld a piece of pipe (hose clamp it?) and paint the broomstick red and green to match just how much tongue weight you can stand. When it gets to the red, more goes on the rear, not enough on the front, put more up front.
I probably still have those helper springs if you need a visual. The first time we tried it, we added Ford Fiesta rear coil springs to a 84 Ford pickup. They were too tall, but the guy said leave them, so we did. They shouldn't support any weight until the leaf springs start to straighten.
David from jax