Log splitter and a flying log - safety

/ Log splitter and a flying log - safety #41  
I had the exact thing happen. I have a 28 ton Wolfe Ridge splitter and was splitting a gnarly oak log. I wear a full loggers helmet with hearing protection and a full screened face shield. I heard a sound like a gunshot and felt my helmet jammed back on my head. The face shield had been bent in almost touching my nose. The impact spot was just below my left eye. I found a 16" splinter of oak about 3" across and about 1" thick on the ground next to me. I don't even want to think what that would have done to me without the helmet.

/ Log splitter and a flying log - safety #42  
I keep a gloved hand over the wood, I’ve split many pieces that just creak and pop and I’ve always suspected they could come flying out, a stinging hand much better than a damaged face.

/ Log splitter and a flying log - safety #43  
Wow. I have been lucky I guess.

I sold my splitter three years ago and used a commercial processor for firewood. I am buying a home use processor this year, and it has a cage around the splitting area. Seems like a good idea.

Hope you recover quickly.

/ Log splitter and a flying log - safety #44  
Can I make a guess that on this splitter the wedge moves and the flat plate stays stationary? In this case it almost always puts the operator in harm's way.

/ Log splitter and a flying log - safety #45  
Check out the Hudraulic Press Channel in YouTube. Basically some scandanavian guy crushing things in a huge industrial hydraulic press in a machine shop. It's amazing to find out most everything is a spring. A stack of post it notes will explode like a handgrenade when crushed. It's made me appreciate (and fear) the forces involved a LOT more. A wood splitter can be in the same league.

/ Log splitter and a flying log - safety #46  
I saw it happen to my dad. we were trying out a new splitter and had a big knotty chunk of wood to test it out. Well, it had a bit of trouble, then it let loose and hit him right in the man danglers. He started to do the curly shuffle around the yard. I was in tears; I just could not stop laughing. Luckly he was okay after the pain stopped.
schadenfreude. New word for the day. Not saying i wouldn't have been laughing too.

/ Log splitter and a flying log - safety #47  
Today I was splitting wood with a 25-ton log splitter as I have done a 1000x before. I had a piece of oak in, and the ram was moving forward as normal when I heard a pop, then saw a flash of a log flying. When I came to, I was lying on my back in the pile of logs, blood dripping from my face, and unable to see very well. It seems the log hit me. Long story short, after the trip to the ER I ended up with a broken orbital socket, some stitches, and a mild concussion.

My question is, what would cause a log to come off the splitter like a rocket? I realize it is under pressure, but I never saw a 20lb log become a full-blown projectile. I was lucky; I had my safety glasses on (the lens was damaged from the log), but not sure how I would have prevented it or how I could have been better prepared. The machine was in the horizontal position where you pick the log up and set it in the machine when this happened. Thinking that having it in the vertical position may be better because if it spits one out it would at least be at ground level.
You say, "moving forward as normal". My splitter always gives me plenty of warning when it loads up and runs into resistance. Knots on locust, cherry and oak can run my 25 ton to a full stall that I have to reverse out of. But I ALWAYS hear it load up. If yours was chugging along as normal when the event occurred, I wonder if it ran into a rifle or shotgun cartridge someone left in a fork or something. That meets the conditions you describe.

/ Log splitter and a flying log - safety #48  
Never seen or heard of air being a factor. Certainly could be a piece of the equation. I think it's more likely a knot of series of them in the wood. I've had pieces pop, but never as badly as described here.

/ Log splitter and a flying log - safety #49  
Today I was splitting wood with a 25-ton log splitter as I have done a 1000x before. I had a piece of oak in, and the ram was moving forward as normal when I heard a pop, then saw a flash of a log flying. When I came to, I was lying on my back in the pile of logs, blood dripping from my face, and unable to see very well. It seems the log hit me. Long story short, after the trip to the ER I ended up with a broken orbital socket, some stitches, and a mild concussion.

My question is, what would cause a log to come off the splitter like a rocket? I realize it is under pressure, but I never saw a 20lb log become a full-blown projectile. I was lucky; I had my safety glasses on (the lens was damaged from the log), but not sure how I would have prevented it or how I could have been better prepared. The machine was in the horizontal position where you pick the log up and set it in the machine when this happened. Thinking that having it in the vertical position may be better because if it spits one out it would at least be at ground level.
Cut rounds square, careful with knotted or forked pieces.. I tend to back up a bit when splitting those. To beside or behind where my valve is..
I never stand directly over the wood being split and offset from it just a bit on all pieces until it's mostly split.

Splitting vertically is taking some danger out of it. But it's way rougher on the back.
I usually only split all the very large rounds vertically into quarters, then swap back to horizontal..
If you were splitting water oak, that's normal. It's got super tight grain and it's dense and it's common for the wedge to stop and then for the two pieces to fly out sideways. Water oak has the opposite splitting experience from red oak, which splits very easily.

/ Log splitter and a flying log - safety #50  
Wow, glad you're ok.

I have had splits pop and come flying out of the splitter. Some of the wood species I have don't do it and some do. After getting hit a few times (though not in the face!) I now move a step away and turn away when splitting wood that tends to do that.
I've seen splits "jump" a bit and that's when I realized that my zipper is right at the same height as my splitting table.
I turn sideways now... prefer to learn this one the easy way.

I've definitely had splits go flying when using my splitting maul (dinged up my shins more than once); less so with my hydraulic splitter.