Log splitter and a flying log - safety

/ Log splitter and a flying log - safety
Lol - I did not find any ammo or small explosive devices. :oops:

Split another cord of the same wood today with no popping or flying logs. I am better prepared now with my hockey helmet on. Looks pretty stupid, I'm sure, but it beats catching a log in the head again.

/ Log splitter and a flying log - safety #122  
Lol - I did not find any ammo or small explosive devices. :oops:

Split another cord of the same wood today with no popping or flying logs. I am better prepared now with my hockey helmet on. Looks pretty stupid, I'm sure, but it beats catching a log in the head again.
Send a selfie so i can see exactly how it's setup. :unsure:

/ Log splitter and a flying log - safety #123  
All my life I have "known" that you cut a tree down but split it up.

I think it is fair to say when splitting you go so fast you just fit the log in whichever way it looks to be the most stable. I don't think I could tell which way is the bottom or top as you go though the center span of the tree. I would bet it is more to do with a combination of parts on your splitter, like how fast the wedge angle increases and how sharp the wedge is, how sturdy the beam is and how springy it gets, the length of the hyd hoses (and if possible, trapped air). These parts determine the pressure needed to cut/push through the wood and how much accumulative energy is stored prior to the cut. (Energy is stored in a bending/loaded beam, air pocket, hyd hoses expanding etc and is quickly released if the wood pops apart).

/ Log splitter and a flying log - safety
As requested - the new safety setup. My new prescription safety glasses are on order so soon as they come in I will be all set.

Attachments

• IMG_8368.jpeg
    IMG_8368.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 70
   / Log splitter and a flying log - safety #125  
Even better than a logger helmet....I like it! (y)

/ Log splitter and a flying log - safety #126  
As requested - the new safety setup. My new prescription safety glasses are on order so soon as they come in I will be all set.
You should check into getting those made with your brand on them and marketing them on-line as a specialty safety gear item. Might make fortune when some big company buys you out. Just have a good lawyer.

/ Log splitter and a flying log - safety #127  
Thank you, everyone, for your thoughts and prayers. As for my father's age, he was 90, so he had a great long life and was a Korean War vet.

I took a break from everything else and walked over to the shop to snap a photo of the beam and wedge, as requested. Perhaps the flat end may need some more aggressive rough edges to help keep the wood from slipping.
Taking another look at the end of the splitter, I see that the beam design is effectively dished mostly to provide a channel for the wedge to ride in but also to cradle the log.

This dishing may contribute to an ejected log's upwards motion.

In my crappily marked-up picture, the purple arrows point to the dishing, the red is an exaggerated cross-section with a (green) log in it, and if the log moved sideways (blue arrow) it will encounter the dishing and be ejected upwards and outwards.
TractorByNet-2034535669~2.jpg

/ Log splitter and a flying log - safety #128  
I see what you mean, that little lip could make it pop upwards. The one time I did have a split fly a little bit it was straight sideways.

/ Log splitter and a flying log - safety #129  
I wonder why most splitters seem to have the wedge as the moving part? On my inexpensive HF one, the wedge is stationary.