Log Splitter Filter Rips

/ Log Splitter Filter Rips #21  
10 micron will be the same on all filter brands. They always seem to have these n stock.

A filter with a gauge on it is ideal.

If it gets clogged, the gauge will tell you when to replace..

It should not slow anything down. If it starts to clog up, there will be some back pressure.

/ Log Splitter Filter Rips #22  
The by-pass valve failure is not limited to the Cross brand it can happen in any filter head. Cold weather and not letting the hydraulic fluid warm up puts stress on this moving part. When the fluid is cold and thick it has trouble passing through the filter cartridge this repeated slamming open of the by-pass leads to eventual failure.

/ Log Splitter Filter Rips
The by-pass valve failure is not limited to the Cross brand it can happen in any filter head. Cold weather and not letting the hydraulic fluid warm up puts stress on this moving part. When the fluid is cold and thick it has trouble passing through the filter cartridge this repeated slamming open of the by-pass leads to eventual failure.

Interesting. How long would you warm it up prior to splitting wet hardwoods.? I'll buy a different brand filter system and install it. Cross told me that what I described could not happen and they would not elaborate. Thanks Gents..

/ Log Splitter Filter Rips #24  
The warm up time depends on the outside temperature and the viscosity of the fluid. Hydraulic fluid comes in 3 viscosity 32,46,and 68. The 68 fluid can be as thick as honey below 32 degrees. The optimum operating temperature for most hydraulic fluids is 130 degrees, the same temperature that is recommended for domestic hot water. Most splitters never reach that temperature. In below freezing temps ATF fluid is often used.

/ Log Splitter Filter Rips
I use the universal fluid so I can use it in my tractor too. Not sure of viscosity but will note that. I ordered another filter and mount and will try this again although a little gun shy after the last round of fluid showers. I see on my old mount that there are 1/8 pipe plugs that could be removed and a gauge installed. I think ill do that so I know what the pressure is. How high of pressure gauge should I put on? 0-60# ?

/ Log Splitter Filter Rips #26  
Just guessing here but I would think you'd want a gauge closer to 0-600 on the return line, maybe higher. On the pressure side you'd want up to 3000# guage

/ Log Splitter Filter Rips #27  
I see on my old mount that there are 1/8 pipe plugs that could be removed and a gauge installed. I think ill do that so I know what the pressure is. How high of pressure gauge should I put on? 0-60# ?

Most spin-on filters are only rated to around 100 PSI and the by-pass valve is tpical in the 25 - 30 PSI range. A gauge that reads 60 PSI should be adequate but 100 - 150 should ensure you won't damage the gauge.

What size is the line from the filter going into the reservoir?

/ Log Splitter Filter Rips #28  
I went with 0 - 300 on the return side, and 0 - 3000 on the pressure side on mine.

/ Log Splitter Filter Rips #29  
Just guessing here but I would think you'd want a gauge closer to 0-600 on the return line, maybe higher. On the pressure side you'd want up to 3000# guage

Return line pressure should never be more than about 100 psi.

Any pressure in the return line takes away from the developed pressure.

Your hyd components develop a pressure and then have to work against the return line pressure.