Log Splitter Filter Rips

/ Log Splitter Filter Rips #31  
Return line pressure should never be more than about 100 psi.

Any pressure in the return line takes away from the developed pressure.

Your hyd components develop a pressure and then have to work against the return line pressure.

Thanks for the clarification

/ Log Splitter Filter Rips
Most spin-on filters are only rated to around 100 PSI and the by-pass valve is tpical in the 25 - 30 PSI range. A gauge that reads 60 PSI should be adequate but 100 - 150 should ensure you won't damage the gauge.

What size is the line from the filter going into the reservoir?

3/4 pipe from spool valve to filter and 3/4 pipe out of filter hooked to a 1" ID hose that hooks to the lower part of the tank. I'm thinking of moving the filter down and hooking it to the tank. that would give me more distance from the valve to the filter. ? I thought I knew nearly everything until I got mix'd up with hydraulics.

/ Log Splitter Filter Rips
I thought I would update my filter situation and cover a few things that you all mentioned. It's pretty clear now. What happened was that the pulsating back and forth while trying to crack open wet wood with a partially plugged or ready to be changed filter, Ruined the filter 1st then the bypass valve and the bypass components plugged the return line causing the filter to either blow the gasket or split open. The filter head was a Cross brand and the return mechanism is considerably lighter duty than the new head I bought from Northern Tool. Also I didn't know that I should have a gauge on the head to tell when the filter was getting to the end of it's life. New components installed and all seems well. One last question. Is there a problem installing the filter upside down or horizontal? Thanks for all the help.