Log Splitter Question...

/ Log Splitter Question... #1  

/pine

Super Star Member
My splitter is set up on a site and not on wheels...I am getting around to putting together the power unit and not have to rely on a tractor for hydraulic power...

Planning on using a 2 stage 13 GPM pump with a direct drive connection to a 212CC predator engine...planning on a 10 gal. reservoir tank...

Any recommendations on the type of filter?...return or outlet side?...should I also use a (screw in) strainer on the outlet port of the tank?

/ Log Splitter Question... #2  
MY wheeled splitter (picked up used and broken) uses a strainer on suction side between tank and pump, and uses a filter on out port of control valve as hydraulic oil returns to tank... Seem pretty typical....

Could never find out specs on pump, but splitter had a 5 hp R&S on it that had broken carb and other problems, and it was cheaper to put a 6.5 hp Predictor Motor on it then to find parts and get Briggs running.... Can replace HF motor 3 times for what a single Briggs or Honda costs... Not a fan of Chinese but it works fo my purposes...

Lots of general hydraulic stuff...

Dale

Last edited:
   / Log Splitter Question...
MY wheeled splitter (picked up used and broken) uses a strainer on suction side between tank and pump, and uses a filter on out port of control valve as hydraulic oil returns to tank... Seem pretty typical....

Could never find out specs on pump, but splitter had a 5 hp R&S on it that had broken carb and other problems, and it was cheaper to put a 6.5 hp Predictor Motor on it then to find parts and get Briggs running.... Can replace HF motor 3 times for what a single Briggs or Honda costs... Not a fan of Chinese but it works fo my purposes...

Lots of general hydraulic stuff...

Dale

Thanks...I did do a lot of research on the Surplus Center site and catalog...buying most of the stuff on e-bay...same product but save a good bit on shipping...

I did find a basic common plumbing diagram...It makes sense to put the filter on the return line but I kept seeing a gpm rating on the canister type filter heads...didn't really think about it...

The Predator should reduce my fuel consumption...I had been running the splitter off a 45 HP diesel...

FWIW...there are two models of the 212 CC Predators...one has a Hemi head the other does not...you have to check the model numbers...also the valve covers are different...

/ Log Splitter Question... #4  
I am not a fan of strainers. They can actually cause cavitation under some conditions. Plus a strainer can only stop chunks.

A good return line filter is, IMO, the most efficient way to filter hydraulic oil. Make sure you flow rate of the filter is greater than your pump capacity and you will be good. Also make sure your tank breather is filtered to keep air that enters the tank clean too.

/ Log Splitter Question... #5  
Why not put the filter on the output port of the tank? That way you're sure the oil reaching the pump is clean. That's where the filter is on my 20T wood splitter.

/ Log Splitter Question... #6  
Most hydraulic filters would have to be on the return line due to pressure limitations.
Rare is a filter housing that can withstand pressures in the 3000 +/- PSI ranges.
(OK, some are found in aviation but rather rare.)
Also you mainly want to protect your pump rather than the cylinder.

/ Log Splitter Question... #7  
I understand but the output port of the tank (ie, before entering the pump) is low pressure, no? It's only once it leaves the pump that it becomes pressurized. At least, that's how I understand it.

/ Log Splitter Question... #8  
All filters and strainers used should be rated double the pump capacity, to prevent cavitation with suction filters and bypassing with return filters.

/ Log Splitter Question... #9  
Thanks...I did do a lot of research on the Surplus Center site and catalog...buying most of the stuff on e-bay...same product but save a good bit on shipping...

I did find a basic common plumbing diagram...It makes sense to put the filter on the return line but I kept seeing a gpm rating on the canister type filter heads...didn't really think about it...

The Predator should reduce my fuel consumption...I had been running the splitter off a 45 HP diesel...

FWIW...there are two models of the 212 CC Predators...one has a Hemi head the other does not...you have to check the model numbers...also the valve covers are different...

This s HF motor I used... Harbor Freight Predator 6.5 HP - 212cc - OHV (SKU 69727)
Seems adequate, though my splitter is rated at only 22 ton... Motor does grunt for a moment when pump drops in to secondary (?) mode and governor needs to play catch up...... But not a functional issue...

This was graphic I found, but does not show strainer in suction side...

Hydrauic Diagram.jpg

Dale

/ Log Splitter Question... #10  
This is the part diagram of mine. Filter is #53. You can see it located at the tank before feeding the pump. To me, this is the best place for a filter (well, outside of the tank would be better so it's easier to change). It's low pressure and any impurity in the tank is filtered through before reaching the pump. The hydraulic diagram above makes no sense to me. Why would you filter the fluid AFTER it went into the pump?

Ec1gUSj.png