Log Splitter Question...

/ Log Splitter Question... #11  
You can call it a filter and parts list may call it a filter, but by design and placement its a strainer...

And having a filter after control valve and before tank its on 'low pressure" side (easier to prevents canister bursts) and it is readily accessed to change ... Not like having to deal with all the fluids in tank when trying to clean strainer between tank and pump....

Noname.jpg

Edited to note: his is incorrect graphic for my splitter, graphics is for DUERR 622/623.... My splitter is a DUERR 620...

Dale

Last edited:
   / Log Splitter Question... #12  
Ok, looking at your diagram, #58 is your filter connected to hose 'B' and hose 'C' is the input hose to the tank ('A' being to output hose to the valve). There is no 'strainer' between tank and pump. Again, to me, this makes no sense. Why would you let possibly dirty oil enter the pump (dirt could come from oil being poured in, through the breather cap or simply rust particles pealing from inside the tank) and then filter it? The damage is already done.

From my understanding, hose 'C' is also low pressure, only hose 'A' and the hoses going to each cylinder ends are high pressure so strainer/filter attached to the tank before the pump is on low pressure, not high.

My manual mentions replacing the filter when changing oil, so dealing with replacing the filter with a full tank is a non issue. Beside, why would you clean it between oil change? If it's clogged, that means those particles already went through your pump because there is nothing preventing them from reaching it.

/ Log Splitter Question... #13  
OK.... I see you comment and it made me look at graphic again...... BUT graphic I posted above was in error, it was for DUERR Model 622/623....

Corrected image (below ) is for a DUERR Model 620 which is actually what I have... Please note strainer at tank outlet (#25) and a 10 Micron filter (#27) where fluid return to tank....Obviously the engineers who designed you splitter, and the engineers who designed my splitter went to different engineering/hydraulics schools....

Noname.jpg

Sorry if the misinformation in previous post confused anyone....

Dale

/ Log Splitter Question... #14  
Actually, different engineers designed the DUERR splitters since some models don't even have a strainer :D I'm wondering if some beans counter dropped the strainer from some models to reduce the cost because I doubt a engineers would design one without any protection before entering the pump!

Edit: It's interesting that in the theory of operation of your splitter (page 15), they don't mention the return oil filter and call the strainer a filter. Talk about wanting to confuse people lol.

Last edited:
   / Log Splitter Question...
At any rate...I'm going to use a suction side strainer (see link below) and a canister type filter on the return line to the tank... will maybe mount the filter directly to the tank...

I'm still shopping around for the return line filter head/assembly...any recommendations on one with a good, common replacement canister ??

here is the strainer:

/ Log Splitter Question... #16  
Using DL Meisen owner's manual, I got the part number of his splitter filter head. It's "723-0406 filter head" Googling that gave some good results. If it works great on a two stage pump (high and low flow), I don't see why it wouldn't work for yours.

I'm shopping here and checking prices and shipping for the same...
It's funny the size jumps from 3/4 to 11/4 and skips 1" which is what the return port on my tank is...I want to hard pipe the filter head directly to the tank...

/ Log Splitter Question... #18  
Using DL Meisen owner's manual, I got the part number of his splitter filter head. It's "723-0406 filter head" Googling that gave some good results. If it works great on a two stage pump (high and low flow), I don't see why it wouldn't work for yours.

Not exactly sure but I have sneaking suspicion that MTD made splitters for DUERR..... I see a lot of part number on my DUERR are matches to MDT number and same as "other" splitters also, I believe MDT is main manufacturer and makes may brands under contract...

Dale

Last edited:
   / Log Splitter Question... #19  
I'm shopping here and checking prices and shipping for the same...
It's funny the size jumps from 3/4 to 11/4 and skips 1" which is what the return port on my tank is...I want to hard pipe the filter head directly to the tank...

Get the 3/4 inch NPT body and use a nipple and reducer to fit 3/4 inch filter assembly to 1 inch tank bung...

My splitter uses all 3/4 inch on return side...

Dale

Since the return port is close to the bottom of the tank I will have to add a couple of elbows and a short piece of pipe (riser) to keep the filter above the bottom of the tank...figure 1" is a little stouter for supporting the filter and return hose...

Now I'm working on how to configure the engine/pump and the tank etc. and how to mount it all together on a platform or something...once the tank is full of oil it won't be light...will likely make a steel base frame then bolt that to a pallet or skids so I can move it with 3ph pallet forks...

When I was running the splitter off a tractor I was using a set of 20' hoses...so I can do the same thing and keep the engine/pump/tank a little ways away from the splitter so it's not so loud and can keep the exhaust down wind etc...