logging winch build

/ logging winch build #21  
I don't like the physics of the auto rear axle housing design. The axle housings are attached to cars or trucks near the out board end, where all the forces are. I see in my minds eye the end of the axle with the spool on it, snapping off the differential housing, when sufficient force is applied. The other issue is that winching in with that leverage applied puts stresses on the lower links and tractor stability, that neither was designed for.

If utilization is 10% of design limits, prolly be ok, but hoky at best.

Before I had a winch I used long lengths of chain with chain hooks on both ends. string chain to log, pull via tractor to a staging point and then skid several at once to cutting yard with this rig.

Fire wood shed2011 003.jpg

/ logging winch build #22  
My next project will be to build a skidding winch from the boom of a post hole auger and an electric winch. I know it's not what you were looking for but this works for me in my situation. Have a great day.

/ logging winch build #23  
You might want to look at adapting a PTO winch for a military (2-1/2 Ton) truck or a 4X4.
Some of the old 4X4 trucks could be bought with a PTO winch.

/ logging winch build #24  
sometimes we overthink things. Worm drives winches are not a good type of winch for logging as when you come up tight you cannot release them. Friction winches like the farmi are great and so is they're expense for the home builder.
Using rearends and stopping one side thereby making the other side pull twice as fast making it tougher on the tractor is one option. To me, using that kind of method as rearends are easy to come by, weld up the spider gears so you have at least a 4 to 1 reduction, bolt a drum on where a rim would be with a carrier bearing on the outside of the drum, and put a ratchet type of lock on it. Pull your load in, lock the drum, take the pto out of gear on go on your way.
the eaton and Hercules winches that were used on timberjack log skidders were worm drive and worked great

/ logging winch build #25  
A worm drive can still have a clutch or other disengagement after the gearbox.
I wonder if you could use a transfer case as a gear box.

/ logging winch build #26  
A worm drive can still have a clutch or other disengagement after the gearbox.
I wonder if you could use a transfer case as a gear box.

Sure, but why?

It would only be in low range that a speed reduction is available, (although one could gear down with a chain and sprocket prior) .... and there is still no clutch

/ logging winch build #27  
Most worm drive winches are to slow, on two drum winches for tractors they use gear boxes but its not worm drive.