Logging winch build

/ Logging winch build #1  

davedj1

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501
I picked up a Braden style winch last year and finally got around to putting it to use.
It's worm gear drive, was driven by a hydraulic motor but that was seized up so I scrapped it and decided to run it directly from the PTO
The winch and the pump both had 15 tooth sprockets, I used a 25 tooth sprocket on the PTO shaft to gear it up a bit which overall I'm happy with it.
First a word of caution! If you go this route know that (at least with this style winch) you cannot kick it out of gear under load so I have to use my clutch on the tractor to disengage the load where I want it. It's very powerful, I have only run the tractor at an idle thus far.
I used a PTO shaft extension that was supposed to be 1 3/8" diameter, I had to grind it down a bit to fit into the 1 3/8" bearings that I bought. I bought a weld on hub for the sprocket . The steel bits are stuff I had laying around. It still needs some finishing touches but so far I like it. I want to weld on another hook to the frame and get three sliders for the cable and I have to get some new chokers.
I'm very pleased with the milk crate to carry gas, oil, chains, water and chainsaw. I still want to build a saw-haul type carrier.
Let me know if you want any specific info.

Attachments

• IMG_20221027_144827156.jpg
    IMG_20221027_144827156.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 305
  • IMG_20221027_152620660.jpg
    IMG_20221027_152620660.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 287
  • IMG_20221026_171910743.jpg
    IMG_20221026_171910743.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 289
  • IMG_20221101_112041847.jpg
    IMG_20221101_112041847.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 313
   / Logging winch build #2  
It turns out that I've just posted conflicting posts in a couple of other threads about your build. Now I have to say: Nicely done!!!
It looks like your gearing has addressed my comment about winch speed. I do hope that you find a way to integrate a clutch onto the system, but that's just because I'm accustomed to one way of doing things.

/ Logging winch build #3  
Have/had several Dodge trucks that have Braden winches. Not the most safest winch but rugged. Trucks had forward and reverse ptos or used the transfer case and transmission to have multiple speeds and reverse.

Interesting build. Be careful. Lot of stored energy in the cable during the pull. Snarl plate on drum and back lash screen would improve operator use and safety.

/ Logging winch build #4  
Good job on the winch and drive conversion.

If the tractor pto clutch is your only means of control you must operate it from the drivers seat I would guess ?? You probably already know this but w/o trying to be smart or a jerk I just want to make sure you are aware that standing close to the tractor and reaching over the fender ready to disengage the clutch can be pretty dangerous. If your log snags on something that winch will drag your tractor around like a toy. Happens real fast sometimes and not good if you are standing right there. Work safe.

gg

/ Logging winch build #5  
Yup, operating it off the tractor would be VERY unsafe!

You really need to get a separate clutch in the system...

SR

/ Logging winch build
I have been using it while sitting in the seat. On my tractor (Kubota L2501 HST) when I push the clutch (yes it has a clutch pedal only used to start it) in it stops the PTO then I shut the PTO lever off. I can run it off the tractor as long as I'm on the drivers side as that is where the clutch is, I can push the clutch in with my hand and reach over and shut the PTO off but I have found I usually have to drag the log somewhere anyway so may as well as be on the tractor. I don't see any good way to add a clutch into the mix on the actual winch itself. RESPECT is the name of the game!

ETA: I pulled some pretty big Red Oak tops out today, the thing has awesome power, I'm sure I'll be snapping the cable eventually.
I should start looking for some 3/8 wire rope...lol

Last edited:
   / Logging winch build #7  
If you are worried about snapping a cable, that's all the more reason not to be in the tractor when operating the winch - or at the very least, add a safety screen above the winch to protect the operator station.. You don't want to be inline with the cable when the cable snaps or some piece of hardware fails.

/ Logging winch build
If you are worried about snapping a cable, that's all the more reason not to be in the tractor when operating the winch - or at the very least, add a safety screen above the winch to protect the operator station.. You don't want to be inline with the cable when the cable snaps or some piece of hardware fails.
I am going to put some safety screen on it when I get it home.

/ Logging winch build #9  
Glad you are putting on a back lash screen for protection if the cable breaks. Logging is high hazard so anything you can do mitigate the better.

I think even logging winches are not meant to tow logs with the tractor. Considerable shock load the winch and cable was not designed to take. Winch pulls the logs to the tractor, then hook to your frame to drag them out. Being able to lift the butt up greatly reduces the force needed to skid out logs.

/ Logging winch build #10  
Glad you are putting on a back lash screen for protection if the cable breaks. Logging is high hazard so anything you can do mitigate the better.

I think even logging winches are not meant to tow logs with the tractor. Considerable shock load the winch and cable was not designed to take. Winch pulls the logs to the tractor, then hook to your frame to drag them out. Being able to lift the butt up greatly reduces the force needed to skid out logs.
Skidding logs with the winch itself, depends on the winch.

Mine had a positive locking brake that's separate from the clutch and there's no problem skidding on the wire rope. Mine has a heavy wire rope; in fact, it still has the original cable on it that's still in decent shape and I've done a lot of skidding.

I do think it's a poor idea to skid logs with a worm drive winch, using the worm for the brake.

SR