Logging winch build

/ Logging winch build #11  
Glad you are putting on a back lash screen for protection if the cable breaks. Logging is high hazard so anything you can do mitigate the better.

I think even logging winches are not meant to tow logs with the tractor. Considerable shock load the winch and cable was not designed to take. Winch pulls the logs to the tractor, then hook to your frame to drag them out. Being able to lift the butt up greatly reduces the force needed to skid out logs.
A lot of them winch with the cable and don't tie the chokers off to winch frame. That way if you have a wet place, drop the logs, drive across, winch the logs across, continue.

/ Logging winch build #12  
Glad you are putting on a back lash screen for protection if the cable breaks. Logging is high hazard so anything you can do mitigate the better.

I think even logging winches are not meant to tow logs with the tractor. Considerable shock load the winch and cable was not designed to take. Winch pulls the logs to the tractor, then hook to your frame to drag them out. Being able to lift the butt up greatly reduces the force needed to skid out logs.

SR is right it depends on the winch. But you are right too. Many specifically say "don't skid on the cable - use the slots above the butt plate". But on some larger winches skidding on the cable is perfectly acceptable as seen here in the highlighted area:

Farmi.png

gg

/ Logging winch build #13  
Always be careful with the cable. I can use the same cable for years, decades. My brother, new cable every week. Cable will add up as an expense. Gotta make cables last.

Attachments

• IMG_20220801_190028.jpg
    IMG_20220801_190028.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 104
  • IMG_20220721_165410.jpg
    IMG_20220721_165410.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 104
  • IMG_20220801_190335.jpg
    IMG_20220801_190335.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 105
  • IMG_20220721_165459.jpg
    IMG_20220721_165459.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 129
  • IMG_20220721_165309.jpg
    IMG_20220721_165309.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 105
  • IMG_20221106_075506.jpg
    IMG_20221106_075506.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 116
   / Logging winch build
After using it for a few days I am impressed. One thing I noticed is I am winching in much larger loads than I ever did with my clutch driven homemade winch some of you may remember. I find that at an idle it works just fine. I did add a plate/blade on the bottom and some 11 gauge steel up the A frame along with a place to hold a milk crate for gas, oil, chains and chainsaw. I still want to build a saw-haul type holder for the saw on the loader arm.
What do you think about adding the safety mesh between the ROPS? I could make it bolt in with some U bolts.

Attachments

• IMG_20221101_112041847.jpg
    IMG_20221101_112041847.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 106
   / Logging winch build #15  
Does the winch drag the tractor around any? This may be something I would build in the future.

/ Logging winch build #16  
Does the winch drag the tractor around any? This may be something I would build in the future.
If you leave the bit of the blade on the bottom of the winch dig into the ground, that goes a long way toward keeping the tractor in one place. On commercially made units, the bottom range is usually angled roughly 45 degree rearward (rather than pointing straight down). This helps it to dig in if the tractor starts getting dragged.

/ Logging winch build
It certainly can if you are not careful. The blade does angle back some, just use your head and don't bite off more than you can chew!

/ Logging winch build #18  
I have a spare winch that I was going to mount on a 3-pt frame/blade type set-up. I have a very heavy 5 speed truck transmission to go ahead of the winch so I can have power reverse. A winch without power reverse is useless besides being a good way to kill somebody! Be careful with these things guys!!!

/ Logging winch build
I really see no benefit to a power reverser. You would have to push the clutch in to shift between forward and reverse, I push the clutch in to stop the pulling, disengage the PTO and that's it. I don't park with my back up against a wall so maybe that's the difference?

Edit: There is no doubt these things can cause harm, take them seriously no matter how you do it.

/ Logging winch build #20  
Have/had several Dodge trucks that have Braden winches. Not the most safest winch but rugged. Trucks had forward and reverse ptos or used the transfer case and transmission to have multiple speeds and reverse.

Interesting build. Be careful. Lot of stored energy in the cable during the pull. Snarl plate on drum and back lash screen would improve operator use and safety.
Smokeydog's absolutely right. We had a guy in Nam get cut in half when a 1/2" winch cable broke and snapped back around the deuce and a half. Kind of a messy end to his day.