Looking for a GOOD motion detector floodlight

/ Looking for a GOOD motion detector floodlight #1  

GaryM

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD4100 Hydro
I've got a MD floodlight, two heads, mounted between my garage doors. This is the second one in two years. They work fine for a while, then get erratic in their operation. They don't work when it's been raining and it's damp. Or they don't work when it's really cold.

Two brands, both from the box stores. If I remember correctly, the first one was a Heath/Zenith, and the one in place now is a Workman or whatever HD sells.

I have one on the other side of the house, single head, that come on OK, but then refuses to turn off.

So I'm looking for a recommendation for two GOOD MD lights that I can install. Weatherproof round boxes are in place and eagerly awaiting new occupants. Halogen units preferred over PAR floodlamps.

/ Looking for a GOOD motion detector floodlight #2  
Gary,
The problem is that they are all made in china now days.:rolleyes: I cant find any made here in the states.

I have 8 of them at my house, and I have to replace at least 2 - 3 a year just like you do. So I keep spares on hand.

The ones at costco work the best of all, but they still give out or work 1/2 the time like you stated

Ernie

/ Looking for a GOOD motion detector floodlight
I'm certainly disapointed to hear that! :mad:

/ Looking for a GOOD motion detector floodlight #4  
GaryM said:
I've got a MD floodlight, two heads, mounted between my garage doors. This is the second one in two years. They work fine for a while, then get erratic in their operation. They don't work when it's been raining and it's damp. Or they don't work when it's really cold.

Two brands, both from the box stores. If I remember correctly, the first one was a Heath/Zenith, and the one in place now is a Workman or whatever HD sells.

I have one on the other side of the house, single head, that come on OK, but then refuses to turn off.

So I'm looking for a recommendation for two GOOD MD lights that I can install. Weatherproof round boxes are in place and eagerly awaiting new occupants. Halogen units preferred over PAR floodlamps.

There are plenty of good lights out there. You just have to be willing to pay more than $8.00 for them! :D

I have some X10 motion sensing lights that have lasted several years. What is nice about X10 lights is that you can program them so that if one of them senses motion it can trigger all of them to come on. That way, if some clown comes running past your north side and sets it off, he has no where to go because the ones on the east, south and west will light up too. No option but to leave or be seen. They can also be set to turn on lights inside your house, garage, etc... as well as ding a dinger, start your coffee maker and flush your toilet!:D

/ Looking for a GOOD motion detector floodlight #6  
I must have gotten a good one at the box store!

I put one under the garage eve about 15 yrs ago--motion and photo sensitive. I leave it on all the time. There's a tree close to the drive, so when the wind blows, it comes on all the time.

I'm even impressed how long the bulbs last. I'm guessing each one has lasted 2-5 yrs.

Ron

/ Looking for a GOOD motion detector floodlight
The Super Stealth units with the halogen bulbs look pretty good. The STL360 Swoop for the North side of the garage and perhaps the STL360 Q2 Quartz for the driveway. :)

They are available from Butler Supply right in town. I'll give them a call and see if they're stocked or special order.