Looking for a JD to replace my Craftsman

/ Looking for a JD to replace my Craftsman #11  
I mowed my 1/2 acre with a Jd LA125 and sold it with 280 hours on it. Never had an issue with it.

I bought a zero turn on an impulse buy so had to sell the 125. Lol

/ Looking for a JD to replace my Craftsman #12  
U must b an old fart not being a Briggs fan. The newer B&S ( last 20-25 years). Are great engines. I had a GT325 with a B&S twin that never gave me a problem. The bigger deeres are all good machines. But i do agree my current X500 deck is not as good as what was on the GT325.

/ Looking for a JD to replace my Craftsman
Sorry but your 1977 JD 300 shouldn't be put in the same sentence with a newer 100 series with K46 transaxle (L, X300, or X350). The old Sundstrand transaxle and horizontal shaft drive has a design life WAY beyond 350 hrs.

To the OP's question of engine choice... it doesn't matter. Any engine you pick will wear out three K46 transaxles before dying.

I'm a retired JD L&G engineer. Inside Deere MANY of us have the same machine: 2000-2005ish 325, 345, GX325, GX335, or GX345. Why? Because they are the pinnacle mowing tractor for 1/2-2 acre yards. There are other great tractors made before as well but the decks?... not so much. All have K71 transaxles (the GX tractors have diff-lock), really good mower decks, are smaller statured, and still have all the premium do-dads that make mower (and attachments) easy to remove. Most guys have the GX345 (KHI liquid cooled) variant because there are more of them out there. I prefer the GX335 because the Kawasaki big block air cooled engine is bullet proof... there is just rarely any warranty issues with them (that's why they're still in the JD lineup and the liquid cooled is not!)

The new JD X5's w/ K72 are great tractors. The new decks are AWESOME.... just $$$ My GX/48C was $2500 3 years ago with 200 hrs. I'd look there. Hope this helps!
Helps a lot, great info and sets me in the right direction. Was definitely leaning towards the Kawasaki.

U must b an old fart not being a Briggs fan. The newer B&S ( last 20-25 years). Are great engines. I had a GT325 with a B&S twin that never gave me a problem. The bigger deeres are all good machines. But i do agree my current X500 deck is not as good as what was on the GT325.
I grew up and cut my teeth on Briggs back in the 60's, but had a 5hp power washer and a 5hp gen set self destruct about 15+ years ago. Bought a new 5hp Honda power washer in 03 that I still use regularly and the 11hp honda genset ran nonstop for almost 3 weeks without missing a beat during Hurricane Sandy. Moved from the east to west coast just 5 years ago and the Honda mower was in storage until last august, pulled the plug and gave the cylinder a shot of oil, added fresh gas and the dam thing started on the second pull. Hard to argue good performance.

/ Looking for a JD to replace my Craftsman #15  
The main thing I will add to the conversation is to beware of the deep 54 inch decks. I was given one that I adapted to my F725 and cut quality is crap. I have set tire pressure and blade levels to the book and for some unknown reason it leaves an uncut strip. To get a clean cut I have to straddle my path and remow every other pass.

I picked up a Husqvarna Gt26/54 a few years back with a dead K46. I swapped a K46 from a lawn tractor that had a dead engine and worn out everything else. Somehow that K46 was still good and my daughter has abused the GT for several years. THAT 54 inch deck cuts clean as a whistle. The 26 HP B&S is strong as an ox. Her husband recently stuck their golf cart in the pond. She tied on to it with the Husky and pulled it out.

As far as engines go I have never had any problems with Briggs. I ran my first Craftsman lawn tractor for 21 years and the B&S engine was still good when I retired it.

I like the water cooled Kawasaki too.

Stay away from the Kohler Courage POS.

Came across what appears to be a lightly used JD LX172 with the 14HP Kawasaki and a manual trans (my preference) for $650 any thoughts. Looks like a grandson cleaning out grandpa's stuff.

/ Looking for a JD to replace my Craftsman #17  
If it looks nice, it probably is. The majority I see have broken hoods anymore. If the trans shifts easy enough, that is a yes. Binds no. For this tractor, watch the front axle for wear. If it sits funny, or you can twist the axle back and forth, it is worn and a costly fix. Other than that if the deck runs quiet and isn't rusted, I'd go for it.