Looking for a welder

RDBuri

Tractor
Branson 4720
Have been using a 220 volt 170 amp cheap Mig welder without much success. I am looking to upgrade. I can't really justify the price of a Miller even though I know they are very well respected. Is there anything in the sub $700 range that will work for farm equipment.
I bought a Eastwood 250 mig and can weld up-to 1/2” plus it will operate @ 60% . It cost around $850 .

kpsp50

Tractor
Lenar tractor, nortrak dozer
Stop by your local welding dealer lot of times they take used machines in on trade or know where you can get a good used Lincoln or Miller welder I have a 1972 Miller and it's still going strong you get what you pay for beware of Everlast I've had a neighbor that had dealings with them and they were not very happy

fried1765

Tractor
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, 8N Ford, Gravely 12 HP "Professional", 48" SCAG Liberty
Stop by your local welding dealer lot of times they take used machines in on trade or know where you can get a good used Lincoln or Miller welder I have a 1972 Miller and it's still going strong you get what you pay for beware of Everlast I've had a neighbor that had dealings with them and they were not very happy
"beware of Everlast......"

Are you saying,.... beware of cheap Chinese welders?
Now, who wouda ever guessed that?

composter55

Tractor
1970 Ford 1700
I am not a very experienced welder. For reference have a 220 AC/DC Montgomery Ward, had H.F. flux core, and now use an Eastwood Mig 135 (110v). Pleased with it for most of my purposes. They have
more powerful welders, but I don't have a convenient 220V source, so it's Mig for most small, thinner stuff, and stick for heaver. I did build a set of forks for a Kanga from steel tubing that works great, with
loads over 900#, with the Eastwood! Forks are light enough to handle with one hand, but plenty strong for that machine! I would buy another Eastwood.