Looking for some rear ballast ideas

/ Looking for some rear ballast ideas
I have 1550# of RimGuard in my rear tires and a Rhino 950 rear blade @ 1050# on the 3-point. Why go to the bother of building a 3-point ballast box if you have a 3-point implement. View attachment 700763

What if youre in tight quarters working though? This is why i want to build something thats up close to the tractor.

/ Looking for some rear ballast ideas #12  
Cast Wheel weights.
They aren’t cheap as some solutions suggested, but once they’re on, they don’t get in the way with anything else and they don’t leak a huge mess if you get a flat.
Generally, they never lose value or depreciate.

/ Looking for some rear ballast ideas #13  
What if youre in tight quarters working though? This is why i want to build something thats up close to the tractor.
Thats why I have a heavy box blade, only sticks out about 3in on each side, weighs around 1100lbs and is a multi use implement. I have a weight box for my B series and while I've used it a few times, I found for my uses its easier to keep a compact implement on the back such as the box blade.

20210429_163927.jpeg

Its fairly compact and doesn't kill maneuverability much at all.

/ Looking for some rear ballast ideas #14  
I have 1550# of RimGuard in my rear tires and a Rhino 950 rear blade @ 1050# on the 3-point. Why go to the bother of building a 3-point ballast box if you have a 3-point implement. View attachment 700763
cramped working space is my motivation.

I sometimes use the back blade, sometimes use the carry all filled with dirt. sometimes use the rear scoop bucket empty or filled.

But the concrete block is invisible when I'm trying to negotiate around buildings with a loaded bucket.

The photo shows you have lot's of room. I can only wish for the same. My land is a series of pushed up stone faced terraces. Picturesque, New England at it's fineist!

/ Looking for some rear ballast ideas #15  
There’s probably been a dozen “rear ballast” or “rear weight” threads on TBN in the last year alone.
Which got me to wondering, why so many new tractor buyers frequently seem to forget to order cast rims or wheel weights?
With the amount of front end loader work done with little tractors, one would think wheel weights were a no-brainer.
Loader = Ballast

Last edited:
   / Looking for some rear ballast ideas #16  
A guy near me looks as if he made his own. It looks as if he`s got a 45 gallon barrel, cut one end off, and got a bar through the middle, then filled it up with concrete to the width of his draught arms. He just backs up to what looks like a flat roll, slips on the arms and lift. I`ve no idea how much it weighs but concrete is a good bit heavier than water. It doesn`t matter how he drops it, he can pick it up, just as long as it doesn`t roll away.

/ Looking for some rear ballast ideas #17  
How much weight are you looking to add? I welded up a frame (using old bed frame rails) to hold 8x16 (?) concrete patio blocks as I had a bunch on hand. Each row of 10 is 150# and I can adjust based on what I need. I would suggest putting rails (I used scrap pipe) on the bottom rather than setting it on blocks so you can drop it anywhere and it doesn't freeze to the ground as easily.

/ Looking for some rear ballast ideas #18  
There’s probably been a dozen “rear ballast” or “rear weight” threads on TBN in the last year alone.
Which got me to wondering, why so many new tractor buyers frequently seem to forget to order cast rims or wheel weights?
With the amount of front end loader work done with little tractors, one would think wheel weights were a no-brainer.
Loader = Ballast
Most of the CUT and SCUT don't offer rear wheel weights and the wheels I don't believe have provisions for them like the old row crop tractors have.
Plus we use them on our yards/lawn and don't always want the extra weight when not needed. dropping off a rear 3pt ballast is quick and easy.

/ Looking for some rear ballast ideas #19  
Most of the CUT and SCUT don't offer rear wheel weights and the wheels I don't believe have provisions for them like the old row crop tractors have.
Plus we use them on our yards/lawn and don't always want the extra weight when not needed. dropping off a rear 3pt ballast is quick and easy.
Pretty much all the scuts use the same wheel which will accept weights, also most cuts I know of will accept wheel weights. The only wheels I have know of off the top of my head that can't accept wheel weights is my rear R3 wheels for my L3240.

/ Looking for some rear ballast ideas #20  
Pretty much all the scuts use the same wheel which will accept weights, also most cuts I know of will accept wheel weights. The only wheels I have know of off the top of my head that can't accept wheel weights is my rear R3 wheels for my L3240.
Maybe some one will post a picture of some mounted on a CUT. My LS rear wheels just have 3 holes around the wheel disk and just didn't seem like enough for mounting weights but maybe they are or they mount differently than what I've seen on bigger tractors.