Loved Ones - Toyota

/ Loved Ones - Toyota #161  
This is funny

Toyota runway.jpg

/ Loved Ones - Toyota #162  
I have two good friends who bought that Toyota quality claim and drive Camrys. The last time I asked one what he thought of his, he said, "It's just a car" so I didn't inquire further. But the other one was not happy about the $2,500 he just spent on the transmission repairs on his.

/ Loved Ones - Toyota #163  
I do not get the Volvo's needing $2,500 a year in maintiance. I grew up with my mother driving 240 series. We had 2 and it took a 1 ton dually to do one in and a snow plow to do the other in. Tires, brakes, a occasional valve cover gasket, battery, and oil changes were it.

The only thing I remember that was a pain was the valve cover gasket. It would last 2 years and leak again. They were both great cars and would still be going if it was not for the city plow truck running a red light and the dually sliding into us in the library parking lot.

Chris

/ Loved Ones - Toyota #164  
I do not get the Volvo's needing $2,500 a year in maintiance. I grew up with my mother driving 240 series. We had 2 and it took a 1 ton dually to do one in and a snow plow to do the other in. Tires, brakes, a occasional valve cover gasket, battery, and oil changes were it.
They are probably talking about a modern (post Ford takeover) Volvo. Those do not hold up like the older (RWD) Volvos and take more maintenance and repairs (like the V8 XC90 with its disposable transmission). I have a 1997 V90 which was the last RWD Volvo to come to the US and that is about as new as I want to go. I might go to a 1998 V70 if I cannot find a good 960/V90 when this one gets another 70-100k miles (it has about 97k miles now).

Aaron Z

/ Loved Ones - Toyota #165  
First I heard of that. I know a couple people with S40 and S60 Volvo's and have had great service.

Chris

/ Loved Ones - Toyota #166  
First I heard of that. I know a couple people with S40 and S60 Volvo's and have had great service.
Compared to other cars they are similar, but compared to an older 200, 700, 850, 900, S/V90 or possibly a pre 2001 S/V70 they take more maintainance and they do not hold up as well as the older Volvos. The XC90 with the T6 or V8 engine have a transmission that is prone to torque steer and from what I heard it doesnt last as well as the RWD transmissions did.

Aaron Z

/ Loved Ones - Toyota #167  
The company I work for makes ball joints, tie rod ends, and stabilizer links for Toyota, and I can vouch for Toyota's stringent quality requirements.

/ Loved Ones - Toyota #168  
Compared to other cars they are similar, but compared to an older 200, 700, 850, 900, S/V90 or possibly a pre 2001 S/V70 they take more maintainance and they do not hold up as well as the older Volvos. The XC90 with the T6 or V8 engine have a transmission that is prone to torque steer and from what I heard it doesnt last as well as the RWD transmissions did.

Aaron Z

I drive an S70, traded it last year because the 850 (i bought it at night, didnt see it was poorly maintained) had lots of small issues, trading was cheaper than repairing as i got a great price for it, and got the S70 with 100.000km less in return) I have looked at an S60 but i simply dont like them. They are much smaller on the inside, about as much leg room as in the 440 models i had. The 440 weighed 1033kg and the S60 weighs 1500kg. An S80 would have comparable room like my S70 but it weighs even more.

The 2.0 diesels, built by Peugeot/Citroen/Ford, are rubbish too, the D5 lasts about double the time and has a Common Rail pump that lasts. Not sure what my next car will be, perhaps it will be a Skoda Superb (Volkswagen technology in a Czech built car, for a decent price, better quality but not so much status- So good prices for used Skodas ;) )

About runaway cars, when i short circuited my 440 due to a poorly installed alternator wire, i drove an old Ford Sierra 1.8 TD for a month. The turbo seals were gone, and when the engine was hot and you'd rev it, it would runaway because it was fueled by engine oil that the turbo let into the intake. It was quite an adventure, blue smoke like a tractor puller, traffic putting on their fog lights and honking their horns.... It didnt scare me at all, just hit the brakes and kill the engine. After 2 minutes of cooling down, i could drive off again.

When the 440 was up and running again (i didnt investigate the wiring loom at first, but it was only a matter of some isolation tape to fix it) we raced that Sierra to death: It ran only 5 minutes on oil before the engine gave up...

If i had time, i would have an older 240 D6 (with the infamous Volkswagen inline 6 IDI engine) and swap that with a chipped D5 with a stock M90 transmission behind it (bolts right up)

/ Loved Ones - Toyota #169  
The company I work for makes ball joints, tie rod ends, and stabilizer links for Toyota, and I can vouch for Toyota's stringent quality requirements.

Do you also make them for all the other manufactures? If not you have no basis for a comparison. If so is Toyotas quality requirements higher than everyone else? Toyota is no different than any other manufacture they design the part as cheap as they can and the job of making the part goes to the lowest bidder.

By the way last night on the news Toyota announced another recall for front driveshaft on 4x4 Tacoma.

I hope at some point people will realize that Toyota is JUST ANOTHER manufacture no better and no worse(although I not sure about that after the last few weeks) than anyone else.

/ Loved Ones - Toyota #170  
This is getting a lot of attention, especially having seen the downturn with other automotive manufacturers, and I suspect a few additional punches are being thrown Toyotas way. My only comment is since 2000, my family has owned 5 toyotas, and they have been top quality in every repect. Any safety concerns were taken care of promptly and very few recalls compared to my earlier domestic car / truck choice. I will be purchasing another Toyota in the future. Dean S