Low water pressure questions ( well system )

/ Low water pressure questions ( well system ) #1  

sailorman

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota 2320
I have low water pressure in my house to the point that if I flush a toilet I get practically no water anywhere else .

Stats : 2 story house. 2 full baths. clothes washer, dish washer, water heater, 3 outdoor spigots. Shallow well ( maybe 125 ft ) . Jet pump . Water tank rated at max. 75 psi ( I think non-bladder type ). Iron filter installed . 30/50 switch . Very old air volume control. Pressure gauge on tank ( shows normal 30/50 psi ). No nipple to pump air into tank.

What I 've done : I drained tank several times in the hope that tank was water logged ( No help ) . I changed from a 20/40 switch to the 30/50 switch ( slight, but unacceptable pressure gain ).

Only thing I can think of to change is the 30/50 switch to a 40/60 switch and replace old air volume control. Any reason I shouldn 't do this ?

Sure could use ya 'll 's advice and suggestions .

/ Low water pressure questions ( well system ) #2  
Do you have any idea of what kind of flow rates the well is capable of producing? Some wells do not have much flow capacity, if that is the case increasing your pressure will not help.

/ Low water pressure questions ( well system ) #3  
In our area, a 125 ft well is not called a shallow well. My well is shallow, a 25 ft dug well, usually 10 ft of water in it.
If the pressure guage on your tank shows normal pressure... then maybe you've got a flow problem, not a pressure problem. Do you have a good flow when the pump is running ? Maybe iron filter clogged ?
When you draw water, does the pump start almost immediately ? Is it running the whole time your toilet tank is re-filling, and then stop shortly after ? Then I'd say your tank is water-logged. I'd recommend getting a bladder type pressure tank...

Pete

/ Low water pressure questions ( well system )
sdKubota, I have no idea of flow rate. In fact I 'm not sure what well flow rate means . Does it something to do with a well that has natural pressure and flows without a pump ?

Uglyboy, shallow well is just my term compared say a 950 ft well . Pressure gauge operates with the 30/50 switch range . I have good flow when pump is running, but it takes time for the pressure to become good after it has dropped too low . At what location in the system would an iron clog occur ? Pump does not run the whole time toilet is filling . It seems to cycle at the 30/50 setting . The pressure in house is very poor when the rank pressure drops below 40 and pump does not kick on until pressure reaches 30 .

I was thinkin' bladder tank also . Just want to make sure there was not a quick fix or diagnosis I 've missed before the new expense .

/ Low water pressure questions ( well system ) #6  
I have no idea of flow rate. In fact I 'm not sure what well flow rate means . Does it something to do with a well that has natural pressure and flows without a pump ?

Just refers to the gallons per minute the well can produce. Some wells can produce 1,000 gpm while others maybe 1 gpm. If there is a outside hydrant near the well try filling a 5 gal bucket and record the amount of time it takes to the best of your ability. There are also well logs available from the driller or state that will say the specifics of a well provided in was drilled in the not so distant past.

/ Low water pressure questions ( well system ) #7  
It means the gallons per minute the pump is rated for. If your toilet fills at 5 gallons per minute and your pump is a 7 gl/ min pump, your water pressure will suck the second the pressure tank dips. If your pump has a decent flow rate you are looking at a piping issue, a restriction somewhere. Remember, the pipes have to be able to deliver the water fast enough to make you happy. Make sure your feeder pipes are large enough, say, 3/4 inch or larger, and remain that big until they split off to the various faucets.

It should be noted, a pressure tank will only fix very short burst pressure issues, and will not fix a shower and flushing toilet situation, only a better pump, less restrictive piping can fix that. The tank is essentially bypassed in long run examples, like showering and sprinklers or spigots turned on for more than a few seconds.

The pressure tank is there to extend the life of your pump and even out pressure, not increase pressure.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using TractorByNet

Just refers to the gallons per minute the well can produce. Some wells can produce 1,000 gpm while others maybe 1 gpm. If there is a outside hydrant near the well try filling a 5 gal bucket and record the amount of time it takes to the best of your ability.

I ve got a spigot right at the well house that comes off of piping after the tank . Will that be a good place to measure flow rate ?

/ Low water pressure questions ( well system ) #9  
My neighbor had a similar problem. They found that a pipe was blocked with rust. The remaining opening was about the size of a pencil. As I remember it the clogged line was between the air injector and the iron filter tank. The air injector causes the iron to combine with oxygen to form iron oxide (rust) and that collected on the walls of the pipe. They replaced it with a larger pipe and clean it periodically or replace it. It is only a few feet long.

/ Low water pressure questions ( well system ) #10  
At what location in the system would an iron clog occur ? Pump does not run the whole time toilet is filling . It seems to cycle at the 30/50 setting . The pressure in house is very poor when the tank pressure drops below 40 and pump does not kick on until pressure reaches 30 .
you mentioned you had an iron filter installed... if it is located after the pressure tank (as I would expect) maybe it is clogged ?
I'm in a 2 storey house with system running 30-50psi, 3 bathrooms, etc. I can shower upstairs while 2 toilets get flushed & barely notice anything. If as you say the pump cycles on & off just filling the toilet tank, but you got little flow elsewhere in the house, I'd say you got a flow restriction somewhere... maybe a shut-off valve not fully open ??? I don't have/need an iron filter so have no knowledge of them.

Pete